Seacons and Nightbeat Update

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Petes Robot Convention, May 23, 2008.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Just a quick question: Is it possible to order stuff from the TF club without being a member? I understand it may cost more, but do they do that?

2. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Are club exclusives normally sealed in a box or just in a box with no tape?

3. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They're done like the BotCon box. Bottom half with foam inside, and the top piece with artwork that slips on and off the bottom half. No tape or anything.

4. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Wondering that myself, it hasn't really been stated yet in this thread.

5. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Are you talking about the recently revealed Henkei Skywarp and Thundercracker? Because if you, they aren't $120 for one figure. That's for both figures, plus the shipping. But that's only for one particular member who is pretty awesome for doing this for us in the first place.

6. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pete,
    Since this Seacon set is in new colors and there is concern for an Encore reissue set in traditional colors, is this a set of new characters? The only way I could justify buying it would be if it were all new characters that TakaraTomy wouldn't be making.

7. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i want these guys, might have to have a memeber grab me one. price is high as it is, plus ebay will be dumb as hell prices with this guy.

8. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Except for where I said it right above a few posts ago ;-)

For non-member items, I don't think they charge any extra.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Basically if you are *NOT* a member... They force the membership into your order.

So it will be 120$ + 40$. But you will get the Seacons, the 2008 exlusive club figure and a year's worth of magazines.

By time you have someone else order it for you and they re-re-ship it you probably are going to spend close to 20$.

10. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

TFCC Nightbeat TFW2005 post-n-win coming soon...

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  11. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Actually, your answer was just what they charge for non-members to purchase their items. You didn't specifically state whether or not the Seacons would be available to non-members. That is what I'm still curious about. The TFCC pags states that members will get notice when the item goes on pre-order, it doesn't mention anything about non-members getting a chance at owning this.

12. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I've ranted more than enough on the Allspark version of this thread, and am trying to calm down. Suffice it to say, I'm VERY angry about these prices, but I never expected them to be "retail" prices, and no one here seems to be arguing that they expect "retail" prices.

I do think that these are too much of a multiplier above retail, though. And I think that's a fair standard for complaint.

Now, Pete has said elsewhere, as FP has said at the convention, that the rising production costs (FP specified petroleum prices) are part of the reason for this increase. There comes a point at which it doesn't matter, though. This is simply too much above retail. If FP can't find a way to keep toys at roughly 3 times the retail mold versions, I consider it too much.

13. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Guess I won't be getting the Seacons after all.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, you pay the $40, which makes you a member, and then you're eligible to purchase the Seacons.

Chris

15. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Actually, non-member items do cost more to non-members than to members at the club store. Enough that you're probably better off looking to other online venues.

16. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Let's be explicit then. If you're a non-member, and want to buy the Seacons (or any other member exclusive), the store lists a "non-member" price that's exactly $40 more than the "member" price. That $40 actually buys you a membership. So by the time you've actually bought the Seacons, you're actually a member.

So, no, non-members can't buy these toys, because in the act of buying them, they've become members!

17. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Dude if it wasnt for the sweet TC/SW set I just pre-ordered yea I'd be down for nightbeat, the seacons have never done anything for me whatsoever though.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As I've been sitting here fuming over the price (mostly because I had planned on buying at least 2 sets of Seacons and now can only get one), I've been thinking of ways to increase sales. I really truly want these to sell out, because otherwise the club's not getting any more exclusives (according to Brian at Botcon 2007). And honestly, after year 5, if there's no prospect of more exclusives, the whole incentive to stick around dwindles.

One thing I can really think of that will get some extra sales is to make them "multi-fictional". Have THREE sets of bios for them for three difference Transformers continuities. Include the base one (which would presumably be Classics, since it's the smarter move even, though it would piss off people who don't want "holes" in their collections, it would eventually translate to sales), then do bios for Energon (originally they were going to be Terrorcon troop builders) and then another for Shattered. I'm sure reprolablels would even be willing to help out with some Shattered Decepticon stickers to put over top of the purple ones. One set of toys, three different fictions. You could even do up one for Transtech, though personally I don't care for it...

Just an idea. Hope Pete's reading still... :D  If you want any help with bios, drop me a PM. :D 

Chris

19. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dur, my bad, typo. $48 still sucks though :p 

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Um... cool?

Actually that doesn't sound half bad, but I'd need to find $160 first.:p