Repro/Sticker: SDCC Soundwave screen

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tomiku, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

I love Tabletwave. I really do. I also love TR Soundwave and his minions reimagined as smartphones, and I have the reprolabel sets for all of them. I particularly like the screens (yes, I use the screens rather than the cassettes), and it made me wish SDCC Soundwave didn't look like he was powered off. But I know a guy who knows a guy, so I decided to design a screen for mine. I had a few requirements:

1: Have a background I've used on my real phone.
    2: Have colors that look good with the figure itself.
    - 1+2 basically limited me to something with Hatsune Miku; since I went with this, I also let him borrow a phone charm of her that plugs into the headphone jack. (Fun fact: the headphone jack works realistically with that ka-chunk feel when you plug something in!)
    3: The picture used has to not get split by seam lines in awkward places; the shield made this easy but does mean the shield has an upside-down face on it.
    4: Look as if it runs the same OS as the reprolabel cassettes. This mainly meant putting the clock in the center and hand-drawing the energon cube power meter. However, the "apps" on the reprolabel sets are HUGE and I wanted to see the background I chose, so the sticker is actually of the lock screen.

Now, Tabletwave almost seems actually designed with a printed screen in mind; not much of the screen shows in robot mode and the parts of his feet that touch the ground are strictly the edges, not the actual screen parts. Once I figured this out I knew a huge sticker would work. I had the friend of a friend print it and a spare for me, placed it on Tabletwave in one piece, pressed it down so the transformation seams showed through, cut them with an exacto knife, and trimmed the excess present due to said seams.

Now due to the fact this Soundwave has bits of white, turns into something modern, and stands beside TR Soundwave as a different character, I've rechristened it with the name I originally gave to my white Device Label Soundwave:

WHITENOISE

tablet.png

Cut lines were not as clean as I'd like, and there's also some bubbling, but I'll try to tweak, trim, and flatten a bit.

OS.png

OS comparison, particularly the energon cube power meter. Not sure what the symbols represent on The Red One there, so I just went with sound, wifi, and bluetooth, respectively.

robotfront.png

As I said, very little shows from the front. Just the wings on totally-not-Ratbat, and the forearms which I intentionally positioned the image to end up plain there.

robotside.png

On the side you can see some more on the feet and toes, and of course on the huge shield. Fun fact: 3:09 was chosen because in Japanese, 39 can be read as the character's name, Miku. Much like me, Whitenoise is a nerrrrrrrd.

robotback.png

And of course, most of the sticker real estate ends up on the back.

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS FIGURE AND WANTS TO PRINT A LABEL: the screen portion is 111mm x 159mm. At 300 PPI, this means a 1313 x 1879 image. Have fun!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Huh...neat concept. Thanks for the info; I'll be sure to try this myself.

3. PaperSheep

PaperSheep Well-Known Member

That is such a cool idea and so tempting. It would take so much time and effort for me to pick a single background though. It looks great and helps the illusion quite a bit.

4. Reichstein

Reichstein Well-Known Member

Really great idea.

What about doing one with lots of hi-tech looking readouts.
    Could make the tablet look like its hacking/scanning something and if done right would look like robo details in bot mode.

5. MastaBlasta

MastaBlasta Knight Industries Two Thousand

This look awesome! Would pass off as a real tablet. BTW the symbols on frumble represent location, Bluetooth, and not sure what the last one is, maybe earthquake measurements?

6. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    ooohhhh!!!!

this is a sweet idea!

7. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Nice work. I'd prefer a more Soundwave-inspired design myself, but then again, I haven't bought one of these yet.