SDCC meet up

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by xBigbotx, Jun 28, 2012.

1. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Jeez that is f--d up, and horrible news. Really sad to hear about this, and I hope the family is coping okay.

I'm sometimes amazed that more people don't get hurt given the sheer size of the show and the competition for exclusives. But that's another post.

2. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Good luck to you preview night folks, I hope you make it into Hasbro. Last year at this time I was waking up at 3am to get down to the convention center for preview night and I still didn't make it in that night. I hope you guys fare better.

I will be trying on Thursday this year. Til all are one.

3. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

well if I dont get in tomorrow night I have a major hook up coming as a back up

4. tf_4_lyf

tf_4_lyf Deceptibot

News Credits:
    wow, i didn't know it would be THAT difficult to get my hands on an exclusive. I'm going to try and get my ticket on Thursday, is there any hope for me?

5. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Short answer - yes. Truth be told, what is frustrating about the process is that there are so many variables involved, it depends on who is in charge at the booth, what the security people tell you, etc. So you really don't have that much control over your fate.

A quick example, one year I had some family downstairs, hoping that they could rush the Hasbro booth as the doors opened on preview night. Well, security held everyone back, and let the upstairs people in first, so by the time the downstairs people made it in, the Hasbro line was capped. That was fair - since the upstairs folks had been in line the longest. The next year, I was with family upstairs, and we expected to get to Hasbro first, but this time security switched everything and let the downstairs people enter at the same time, and they filled the booth before us upstairs folks got in. So it really is about luck, you just don't know how things will play out.

About the Thursday line - one year I got there early, got my ticket, made it into the booth, and had some friends with me. I wanted to get the Sgt Slaughter figure, and then as I was about 20 people away from the counter, they announced that they were sold out of Sgt Slaughter. Sheesh. They said we could come back later in the day and they would have more, but I didn't have the energy to stand in line again for 3-4 hours.

One more story - some of my buddies got in line super early upstairs on Thursday to get their ticket one year, they then rushed the Hasbro booth downstairs, but the line was already capped. Turns out a Hasbro rep went outside to the people in line downstairs outside the convention center and handed out Hasbro tickets to them, unbeknownst to the folks in line upstairs waiting for a ticket. So the downstairs people were able to enter first. But they don't do that every year, so you just don't know what the heck is going to happen.

Things literally change every year, it really just depends on your luck of the draw. I lined up at 4am last year on Preview Night, figuring that if I did that, I HAD to get in the hasbro booth. Well, even though I was in the first 10 people to enter the convention center, I didn't make it because they allowed the downstairs people to enter at the same time, plus all the exhibitors sent their troops in.

It's tough man, and I wish you the best of luck. All this stress is why I laugh when I see people on here asking for someone to pick up all the exclusives and they expect to pay not a penny over cost. Folks who haven't been to SDCC have no idea what many of us go through to get the stuff we love.

Now having typed all this, I do know folks who have sailed through the Hasbro line without a problem. In my experience, it really just depends on your luck. The bottom line is that the game is not fair because they keep changing the rules, so for people who try to follow the rules by lining up early, not cutting in line or elbowing children/women out of the way, and don't have a connection as an exhibitor, those folks often end up getting the short end of the stick.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  6. CNCBrawl56

CNCBrawl56 Former Toys R Us Commander

Ebay:
    That is truly unfortunate, its hard to imagine going somewhere to have fun and have that happen.

Stay safe everybody!

Wow, there really is no sure way of getting in there, I guess I'll do my best I just want to get my badges done as early as possible on Thursday morning.

Why is it that there are people waiting downstairs when you need to get your badge at the upstairs 'Sails Pavilion'? Interesting!

7. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    The ppl downstairs are usually folks who have four day passes with preview night and picked up their pass already on preview night, so they dont need to go upstairs again for their pass. Again, good luck everyone!

8. tb-1599

See one of the things you said I thought they were going to put a stop to. I heard Hasbro was off limits to people with exhibitor badges untill after preview night.

9. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I saw Hasbro start to enforce that last year: they kicked some exhibitors out of line on preview night. But the problem is that the exhibitors can buy regular passes for their people, so when preview night starts, those people can just switch badges from exhibitor badge to regular badge, and then run over to Hasbro. So then they make it in.

The bottom line is that there are always methods for people to circumvent rules and the game is not fair to the average fan who is trying to get stuff for themselves.

Good luck! Would like to hear how it goes for the preview night folks, I'll be lining up tomorrow morning.

10. tb-1599

It's 830 and I am outside the convention center waiting

11. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If anyone is interested, I'm looking for someone to pick up a SDCC Exclusive S.H. Figuarts Gohan and TF:p rime Terrorcon Cliffjumper. I'll happily pay a little extra for each too if someone wants to make a little extra cash for the con. PM me if you're interested in helping with either or both figures.

12. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Good luck man! let us know how it goes!

Also, if you get a chance, let us know what the limits are on stuff - like the Bruticus, Cliffjumper, Jinx figures, Shockwave, My Little Pony (yes, i said MLP, for the kids), etc.

13. nathan_s82

nathan_s82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How bad is the line already?

14. tf_4_lyf

tf_4_lyf Deceptibot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info guys! Will i be able to pick up my badge tonight? I need to pick up for a Thursday and Sunday badge...

Oh and let me get this straight. In the event that I can't pick up my badge tonight, am forced to pick it up Thursday morning, and want to get my hands on an exclusive I should:
    1) Wait on line upstairs and pick up my passes for Thursday around 8: 30am
    2) Wait online to get my Hasbro ticket upstairs at 9am
    3) Wait online once again to enter the Hasbro booth, which will open at 9:30

Correct me if I'm wrong, sorry for being such a nuisance, this is my first SDCC and I just want to be "prepared". Thanks in advance!

15. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    No worries man, the con can be super fun, but also daunting. Take a look at this link for the badge pickup. Looks like you have two options: (1) pick up both your badges at the convention center on Thursday morning, or (2) go to the Town and Country hotel today to pick up your Thursday badge, then you will need to pick up your Sunday badge on Sunday at the convention center when you go back to the con.

Comic-Con 2012 :: Attendee Badge Pick-Up

16. tf_4_lyf

tf_4_lyf Deceptibot

News Credits:
    Once again, thanks!! You're a life saver man :thumbs2: 

17. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    My pleasure, hope you have a great con. Let us know how it goes for you. And good luck at Hasbro, maybe i'll see you in line tomorrow. :D 

18. tb-1599

It's starting to get long

19. rhodium1977

rhodium1977 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this for the preview night line at SDCC or for the people at the other hotel who want to pick up their thursday or 4 day?

20. tb-1599

Just for 4 day pass holders with preview night. They just let us inside to wait. Out of the sun