SDCC exclusive revealed: "Knights of Unicron" set

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Keep the negative opinions rolling in. It means I might actually be able to get a set. I've never wanted an exclusive so badly. Best set ever!

2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was only guessing 1500 based on the cost. Four Deluxes shouldn't cost that much, even allowing for extra paint apps, unless they're only making a handful of them. All of the paper accessories should be cheap enough to print. Maybe 3000 would be a more reasonable estimate... but I can't imagine it could be as high as 5000 and still cost what it does.

3. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can only speak for myself, but for me it isn't the fact that people dislike this set that bothers me. Far from it. In fact, the less that like it the easier it'll be for us who do to get a hold of one.

The issue I have is the ludicrous amounts of hyperbole and the overreactions that seem to have become commonplace in this fandom. Regardless of how stupid one might think that this is, it doesn't change the fact that it's just a limited edition set of toys which no one is forcing anyone to buy. They haven't committed any heinous crimes against humanity, which judging by some of the posts in this thread some people almost seem to think. There's nothing warranting someone wishing that someone should lose their job over this set, nor does it warrant calling people names because they like it (as well as the other way around).

To the people who dislike this set: In all honesty, good for you. You get to save a significant sum of money which you can spend on things you enjoy. This panders to a very small group of people and I fully understand why someone wouldn't like it. I just wish that everyone could express their lack of interest in a more civilized way as the hyperbole is frankly getting a bit tiresome.

4. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as price, lets try to break it down:

4 deluxes that normally retail for (lets say) $15 each. But double that because they all have CRAZY paint aps. So that's 4 x 30 = $120. (not including the two Animated accessories)

Then there's what appears to be a full length record album. Most new, single LP indie records cost about $20, so lets call that $30 because its SDCC exclusive.

So a "good" price would be $150. You're also getting the Ratbat/Laserbeak (each with extra paint aps) and the microphones, and the hair/scarves/leather jacket/etc.

I think its fair for $185. Its certainly not as cheap as the Jetfire set from last year (using GI Joe retail prices it was actually BELOW normal retail for those items), but I still say its reasonable.

I think people are only seeing the 4 deluxes and if you're only a toy collector, I understand that. I also don't like counting packaging in price (and there's certainly a lot of that here). But theres a lot going on here that most top people are missing.

I still want to know what's on the record, but i'm excited already.

5. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    All right, Ben, let's talk about that record. Are you positive it's actually a record? Not just a thing made to look like a record sleeve?

6. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    Well, until we see it in hand or get a real description, we won't know for sure. But if you look at the picture, it certainly looks like a record in a sleeve (as opposed to a single sheet printed with the image of a label).

Someone earlier linked to the artists facebook page and I asked on his post about it, but I haven't gone back to check. I'll dig up the link and do so now. The art on the record sleeve is clearly a Kiss record homage, Killers I think? I'm not a Kiss expert...

Here's the picture in question:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    I agree with what it looks like. But...

...no mention of a record.

8. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:
    With respect to the packaging, previous SDCC Deluxes were $20-$30 icluding the crazy packaging.

With respect to Laserbeak and Ratbat, they shouldn't cost anything extra. They were accessories that came with similar sized deluxes (The smaller WFC/FOC deluxes are about the size of Animated Soundwave) at no additional charge. They aren't extra accessories, they fit within the deluxe budget. I think a fair price for this would be about $120-$130. $185 is definitely a stretch.

9. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    'the Knights record Look What the Bot Dragged In features such smirk-inducing tune names as Circuit Breaker, Laser Phaser and Rust Without You.'

10. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    It appears he removed the post, unfortunately.

11. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    Hmm... Maybe its not a record then? I can't imagine them actually *recording* a full album (or even just a song or two) of weird covers with TF related lyrics. Before Kraken pointed it out, I figured it was a reissue of the soundtrack on LP.

Either way, we'll know once they send out a better press release, I suppose.

Edit: I just tweeted at him, we'll see if he replies. If anyone else RT's me it might get his attn quicker. @benaminxcline

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  12. Shockblaster

Shockblaster Well-Known Member

Meh. An ok concept,I guess.

For the price of $185 though, there should be an awesome Knights of Unicron t-shirt included as well, given when you buy the package so you can choose the size.

13. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    Repurposing these figures

Let me sidetrack discussion for a moment.

Do any existing characters come close to these decos?

I'm liking the paint job, but I hate having multiples of the same characters on the shelf.

So, I'd like to repurpose Soundwave or Jazz as someone else if possible.

14. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Hmm. Not songs that actually exist, though. I'm not convinced. I just read that bit as more "world-building," not indicative of an actually-included accessory.

Botcon Sandstorm has a tiger-stripe deco in green and black.

15. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    should be 3 options: "like it and will buy", "like it but not $185 like it" & "Hasbro, wtf have you done?"

16. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    this isn't a joke right? theres going to be a transformers band set? did Hasbro take a fall on the steps or something? and what is with optimus in that pick? I bet it will come with "the touch" cd. lol

17. TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon UT Gang Rise Up

News Credits:
    This is so weird. This is so strange. This is a mess.

This is going to be my first SDCC TF purchase.

18. darkedgex

darkedgex Burritocon

What a waste of plastic.

19. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish they had a 5th member that was the drummer. It looks like both Prime and Soundwave have microphones.

20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Without the fluff, Soundwave and Jazz look great in those color schemes.