SDCC Exclusive "Knights of Unicron" Set Poll

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by edgs2099, Jun 5, 2014.

?

SDCC Exclusive "Knights of Unicron" Set?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2014.
  1. Like it, will buy it.

15.7%
  2. Like it, but will not spend $185.00 on it

48.1%
  3. No! Hasbro, what have you done! Bllllleeearggghhh

36.2%
  1. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
  2. Stryker055

Stryker055 Unrelenting Force of Positivity

Ebay:
    I think it's a silly-neat idea, but I'm not dropping $200 on it.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I must buy something that metal.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'll buy it like I buy SDCC Transformers every year

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm over this like a spandex jump suit!

6. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wrong section...

7. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    You can't have poll choices like that and expect an unbiased result. You also can't expect an unbiased result anyway since you're going to have sampling error.

Just thought I'd point that out since everyone knows what is going on here.

8. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    i think it's absolutely ridiculous, in a good way:D , but far, far overpriced even by convention exclusive standards. for $99 i'd be in, but almost double that??? 4 $15 deludes? ~ i usually figure exclusives for about 2 to 2.5x cost, even at the max that only gets you to $150.

Compared to GIJoe Jetfire, Boba Fett and Metroplex from last year, just seems like a ripoff.

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I come under 'shrugs'

Or "I don't feel strongly enough about any of them to care one way or the other"

If I trip over it I might look at it shake my head and go buy something decent made by fansprojects instead of low quality kiddy tat that is taking the piss with it's pricing and trying to fool you buy putting it in a posh box.

But I really don't like the FOC toys much anyway - they are just something I find lacks play value for me (Soundwave at least is WFC But WFC Megatron isn't especially good either) - It's the same situation I have with the Takara WFC Megatron - he's just not a good enough toy for me to want to pay a premium price for it - If I happen to trip over it cheap though I'm sure I'd pick it up same with these - the price and the mediocrity of the moulds is what mainly puts me off.

There must be at least 8 better Soundwave moulds too.

10. darkedgex

darkedgex Burritocon

Ughhhhh, such an easy pass.

11. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I voted for "like it, but will not spend $185 for it," but I probably will spend $185 for it anyway because I'm a dumbass like that.

12. DarkPrinceofKaon

DarkPrinceofKaon Formaly known as D'POK

Ebay:
    ..."No! Hasbro, what have you done! Bllllleeearggghhh"... is indeed correct.

This set is far to esoteric to work as a effective exclusive, even for the madness that is San de Ago Comic Con. It targets...Heavy metal fans, BUT not plain old Metal fans, now. It's "Heavy Metal HAIR Band" fans...who...who happen to like ...Transformers???:confused:  It's just to weird and inaccessible. :( 

It was said (in an "off camera" manner) that Aaron Archer, former lead director of Hasbro's Transformers brand, bestowed to us Titan class Metroplex as a parting gift just before Hasbro laid everybody off and hired a new (read "green) team. The company denied his division the funding to get the huge figures thighs chromed, but he was not deterred. He was determined to get the best possible version that he envisioned of the big guy out to the fans so he reproached the company with the same idea but only for the SDCC division and got green-light under a far less restrictive budget constraints.

Aaron is a fascinating man. If you ever get the chance to rap with him at one of the cons, I would urge you to do it.

And here I was this entire time hoping and preying that this new division would release the figure this year as Metro-Titan or the Necro-Titan that he currently is being referred to in IDW ongoing. The Metroplex mold was expensive to produce. You would think that they had the better sense to reuse it.

It looks like to me that the new Hasbro team is bumbling around and trying to feel out what exactly do we like as fans and this product was the result. I can see that some of you guys flipped your shit over it, but that's nothing new.

A dog on Hasbro's pay roll could come walking by, takes a squat and pinches a few off and a Hasbro exec then offers it up to as their next figure and in moments you would have people from our fandom squeeing and shouting..."OMG, that thang' is AMAZAING , ZOMG!!! I have to own this! I'm selling off last years Botcon set to own this! Take my money!!!"... :lol 

I think that they can try to get away with this left-fieldist exclusive this one time. But if they did something like this EVERY SDCC from now on :eek: ...

I find it kinda' funny that this sets deciding buying factor comes down to it's price tag, as according to the current pole results...."I'd buy this exclusive, but I can't afford to be a terrible person"...:lol 

Ah, just kidding, guys. :D  For all who want this, it's yours and enjoy it BUT just this once! I don't want to ever see these kinda' shenanigans again, Hasbro. :p 

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Where's the option for "I'll chase down one or two on ebay later"?

14. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

Soundwave should have had a drumkit. What metal band doesn't have a drummer? The could have used the laserbeak from the universe soundwave as a tom and maybe a FOC Disc Ravage for a bass drum and some other stuff. It would have been awesome and then maybe worth the price.

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's like somebody looked into my head and made exactly what I thought would be awesome. :D 

16. VittoriousMax

VittoriousMax Well-Known Member

$185?... I assumed it'd cost around 80 bucks and even then it was an easy pass.

17. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Didn't even consider this set for a moment. I see it as garish and unnecessary, and not in a good way.

18. DarkPrinceofKaon

DarkPrinceofKaon Formaly known as D'POK

Ebay:
    ...Fascinating....NO :eek:  , wait...Disturbing. No, it's BOTH! :lol 

This years SDCC exclusives is such craziness.

19. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Ayo Fryman. That uh, that's highly illogical. Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This. I'm- considering it...? But I don't think I'll end up getting it. Still kinda on the fence though cause I'm a metalhead and I like the look of Megatron and the fact that Laserbeak resembles the Van Halen album "The Best of Both Worlds".

20. thewiredknight

thewiredknight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sadly it's the same for me, I have a pretty nice collection of SDCC exclusive Transformers but this will not be a prominnet one. I've bought doubles in the past, one for collector value and one to open and display. . .this is not one of those times.