SDCC 2015 Women of Transformers Panel! New Comic Announced!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Jul 10, 2015.

1. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I'm disappointed Windblade is ending so soon, but if Til All Are One is going to follow the same plotlines, that's ok.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Now i'm sad MTMTE wasn't called Till All Are One.

I really hope she gets better.

That statement is wrong in so many ways.

3. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    Absolutely, and toys for children and not for grown men too!

4. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Wow u guys are to skeptical on things

5. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

So, the new series is basically Windblade ongoing, but rebranded as Till All Are One to faciliate for not focusing on a one character only?
    Works for me as long as it is drawn by Sara Pitre-Durocher. Judging from previews I like her art. A lot.

Of all three things mentioned, only giving birth is something hard set by biology. And even this one did not prevent females from taking arms when they needed... Ornate dresses and make up were also worn by men. Incidentally, men using them also never were any less proficient at fighting. Barocque duellist and samurais, very effeminate by modern standards.

Children don't chose anything that easily.
    Small children usually don't have all agency in this matter and if anything, they can fall into roles precisely because said roles are reinforced by their surroundings: parents, society, shows, toys. Little people can't do their own unbiased choices if everything surrounding them is an influence.
    Or rather... they can if they go against it. You have girls who prefer playing with boys toys.
    And as much as many would like to deny, you'll also have boys who like playing dressing dolls.

Except then it's considered strange. Girls are declared tomboys, boys are declared feminine.

Which is fine and dandy if one is a mature person and can pick for themselves what to pursue, but not so obvious because everything is influenced by the society around them.
    Having less obviously gendered toys and more choice is only for the better.
    After all, why TF "gender" should have any meaning on their ability to punch faces? Just give it a gun and point at the enemy, who cares about its faceplate design...

Also, probably boys should play more often at being a father, times are changing after all. It's no longer a gender exclusive thing to stay with your toddler. This traditional division who stays with children is simpy less relevant now.

6. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    True hope to read more of combiner wars after read more then meets the eye

7. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

Well, it is disappointing that Windblade is ending so soon considering all the hype that surrounded that title and how it was supposed to keep going after Combiner Wars (then again, it wouldn't be the first time that marketing fools people).

On the other hand, I'm glad they're doing a brand new series with a new penciller since the lack of a consistent artist really hurt the possibilities of Windblade to succeed.

8. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Interesting panel, Till All Are One as a subtitle for the new series sounds great and I can't wait to see the design for dragonfly beastformers.

9. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    Wow, just wow. Because, you know, girls don't like trucks, or guns, or sports, or transformers. Nope. They only like dolls and makeup. Go, right now, go and apologize to every female on this fandom. Because this has got to be one of the most misogynist (is that the right word?) post I have ever seen on TFW. You know, there was a Fairly oddparents episode (the boy who would be queen) that delt with this same topic, and it taught people that not all boys like boy stuff and not all girls like girl stuff. I recommend you to check it out.

I honestly can't believe than on a planet where it's ok to love another of the same sex, or of a different "race", there are still people who think the way this guy does.

10. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

Really? I've seen much worse around here and I just joined pretty recently.

This is quite sad scenario.

11. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I wonder what the context to this was? Seems an odd thing to say. Scott is an established writer and you'd have to be blind not the think Stone produces superb quality work (even if it's not to everyone's taste). From what I've seen of Pitre-Durocher she also seems extremely promising and certainly miles better than fill-in artists we've had from time to time.

12. Freccia

Freccia Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Victorion will feature in different things

That means she will feature in different events?

13. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

I would assume from the perspective of the comics industry, which generally is male-driven and male-focused, and rarely has patience for projects deemed "for _____, by ______!"

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

While what you're arguing here has it's own self-reinforcing tautological sense to it, what really bothers me about this is that you are apparently completely unconcerned with why this is actually a bad thing.

You're presenting it as a "this is how it is" scenario, and not the product of an uneven history of problematic social and cultural development... something that is still a work in progress, and that we should still be working to change.

Presenting all social behaviours as the product of some kind of biological essence is ultimately broken, because humanity ceased to operate on a purely "natural" setting long ago (and we're better for it in many ways). Where we are now is the result of challenge and change, mostly toward more freedom and equality. Gender typing in children's culture IS a reflection of society... but it's a self-perpetuating one, and we need to make an effort to change things.

So with you. :thumb 

I do have to ask... why can't she just be big and dumb and mentally dysfunctional and 2-dimensional like all the other combiners? :inquisiti 

I mean, why does she have to be "special" in that regard?

zmog

15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    ^^Because since she's pretty much to first official fembot combiner,they want to make a good impression of her to people and fellow fans and not be offensive by making her stupid in comparison. I mean yeah most of the male combiners are dumb as rocks and most people and fans are going to find something to complain about her and say she's somehow offensive in some way but still do you think Hasbro wants to risk doing something like that for the first attempt at a fembot combiner?

16. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

So, they can't make her equal to the other combiners, because that would be offensive? They have to make her superior, because to suggest that they have the same limitations as their male counterparts is upsetting? Isn't that kind of insulting to the audience?

17. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, neither of the original Windblade team ever did COMICS before.

But this might just be a statement about precedent or potential backlash.

It is really weird out of context, I agree.

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    If I'm right they never said she has no weakness or flaws so I don't thin she'll be that superior to the others. Also I don't really care how she's made just as long as she's good and interesting I'm just guessing why they went that direction.

19. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Too Colorful

I have some issues with the, frankly, ignorant gender remarks made...

• Talking about the gender debate in the fandom, and the use of pronouns. Again, they’re used to help the audience relate to the characters
    So guys only relate to guys? How does that explain the enduring popularity of, say, the ALIEN franchise, which is lead by a FEMALE protagonist?

• Fans requesting the gender to be female – happened with Windblade and now Victorion, fathers have been asking for more female Transformers to appeal to their daughters
    Again, I need a FEMALE offspring to introduce these characters to my kids? Or is it, "it helps if you have a daughter cause boys will hate these characters"? I'm perplexed by the simplistic views expressed toward gender. Are people really THAT closed-minded? :lol 

I hear what you're saying, but I read it differently: so Victorion is complex in personality BECAUSE she's a woman? Isn't that like saying women are really disagreeable and neurotic because they are always contradicting themselves with their wild, out-of-control emotions and outbursts? :lolol 
    Yeah, THIS. Saying a woman is flawed like a man is an INSULT TO WOMEN. But saying a man is flawed like a woman is ALSO AN INSULT TO WOMEN. In either case, you're required to have a preconceived notion of how one or the other is superior, because admitting that both sexes can be equally flawed in a similar/same way is impossible? :lol 

20. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

They didn't say that about Victorion, people here said that about Victorion. IDW have said that she will be big and strong and complex, and (at Botcon I think)that the team that form her are unusually close knit so she is more articulate than the average Combiner. Nothing about her being superior, that's coming from people here for some reason.

There is an element of truth to it though. When an entire gender is represented by a handful of bots or the case of combiners the first one ever then good representation becomes a problem. If she is dumb that brings connotations with it. This isn't an issue for male combiners because they are incredibly diverse. You can have dumb, monstrous male combiners without making a comment about men because you also have smarter ones like Superion and then you have a genius combiner in Computron.

What this says to me is that they approaching this in a thoughtful way and its not just a case of 'oh make some of them women whatever' they actually want to make sure they do it right. Or to put it more bluntly, they are going to consider how people might interpret and view the character(s) and avoid a colossal Furman style fuck up.

I wish someone recorded this or made a transcript, I really want more detail. Like what do they mean by discussing relationships like Ironhide and Chromia? Discussing as in "discussing popular ships with fans" or discussing as in "yes these are things we are doing". Because the latter would contradict Scott's position that it's too early to start making fembots love interests, which I agree with completely.