Scalping discussion (continuation)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bubbah, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Bakushan definitely earned some good karma points.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Transformers.

... but yeah, I'm willing to be that many of these "scalpers" end up spending most (if not all + a lot more) of the money that they make "scalping" on their hobbies, namely with said money going to other collectors. That's part of why I've never really cared to hate on "scalpers", as even ignoring the market related stuff, its still largely a hobby above all else.

Like, unless I dealt in large enough volumes to the point that I'm basically ordering in bulk & running a business, I'd make more money working at a minimum wage job than I would clearing out Toys R Us, especially if I mainly focused on heavily demanded product in a single fandom.

3. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Funny how these threads always pop up when a newer TF store exclusive hits stores.

Even funnier,how less complain about the botcon scalpers but complain more about the retail brick & mortar store scalpers. Why do the botcon scalpers get more of a pass & more compassion. yet the retail store brick & more scalpers get more bashing. this makes no sense. if your gonna hate scalpers,then hate both the botcon scalpers & store scalpers. don't play favorites. both scalpers are causing fans to pay more for the item then it originally cost.

What really makes no sense,is when a guy brags & boast on the fandom forums that he is a scalper. why not keep this a secret. why upset those who are having a hard time trying to find a item because scalpers keep emptying stores.

Trying to justify being a scalper on the fandom forums hardly ever gets positive responses. hardly anyone has compassion for scalpers because their emptying stores & making others pay more for the item.

No,I am not a scalper. I don't even have a ebay account.

I think scalpers in america are only big problems on the west coast & middle coast of america. I live in a area where My stores get stuff dead last. so we have almost no scalpers. scalpers make most of their money buy being the first to buy the item. inpatient & i wanna be first to own this toy buyers are the ones scalpers prey on as their target buyers.

4. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Maybe the BotCon scalpers get less hate because the toys are already much more limited and expensive?

5. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Hasbro could fix the problem if they just replaced all the shelfwarming Bees with, oh, say, any other character (save Optimus Prime). Yes, I am serious. (Or am I? Dun dun dun!)

6. Bubbah

Bubbah Master of Disaster

News Credits:
    Oh c'mon now, that just makes sense! They'd never do that haha.

And as for the Botcon thing, my guess is because Botcon is a lot harder to get to for most people, whereas TRUs are a lot more common.

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :inquisiti 

8. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

:eek:  What???? Where is the middle coast?

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Great Lakes area?

10. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Probably means the middle of the US but can refer to the Gulf Coast as the Middle Coast I guess. More appropriate term would be South Coast though.

No problem at all here with scalping as I'll do it even if it isn't a common occurence. If I see an opportunity to make some profit I will. I just laugh when people rail on scalpers and then proceed to sing the praises of a place liek BBTS who is in fact a scalper.

11. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Actually, you want to see inflated prices, go to Toywiz.com or Amazon. Then you can see the difference between BBTS and the above mentioned sites.

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I just ask, when masterpiece optimus prime comes out, and if you are serious about wanting to be a collector like the rest of us, that you do not buy every single one you see, cause you if you do, you will be hurting local collectors such as myself, i got lucky with finding thundercracker, but i was not lucky and i never once found rodimus or grimlock because local collectors bought them all up before i could make it to TRU, be it they were scalpers or collectors looking to help other collectors.

hooking up someone else is fine, but don't go overboard

13. Bakushan

Bakushan Well-Known Member

I had already come to that conclusion.

When MP Optimus Convoy comes out, I am getting 1 to keep in the box, and one for display. That's it. I am done buying up stacks, that was a one time thing...

However, I believe I have made right, I have now sold 7 MP Thundercrackers for $65 + the true cost of shipping. 7 collectors now have the toy at below the retail cost.

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    BBTS isn't nearly as much as Robot Kingdom, which gets TONS of loyal business. Go figure...

15. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

I saw like 6 Thundercrackers today...maybe scalpers in my town is scalped out?

16. cvmaas

cvmaas Well-Known Member

They all got them at buy 2 get 1 free and killed the prices on eBay, so now there isn't any profit to make by buying them at retail and flipping them.