Scale/size comparison?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Drohitan, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Drohitan

Drohitan Rogue Decepticon

As everyone's aware, a lot of the DOTM deluxe range are smaller than their ROTF/TFTM counterparts. I myself am a bit of a scale freak, some things I can accept, and others kinda bug me. I know, there's nothing I can do about it, but prepare myself for potential future letdowns, I guess.

Recently I purchased DOTM Barricade, with the intention of kitbashing the new version's arms to the 07 version, as I really like this mold, despite its flaws. The two are so different in size I'm not sure i can pull it off without HEAVY mods, let alone 'worth it' factor. So, I kinda regret getting him in the first place. To the fodder box with you.

Roadbuster came next, although being an Aussie, and not having seen a real Nascar, I still get this feeling he's a bit small in alt-mode.

I'm keen on Jolt, but I'm scared that this obsessive compulsive scale issue I have is not going to let me enjoy a good fig for what its really worth. I'm also scared Soundwave will have this curse too. I know being a scale freak is stupid, but I cant help the what and the how I like things.

Can anyone point me towards some decent comparison shots of ROTF/DOTM deluxes, or if anyone's got the figures and time, post a few up here?

I'm mainly keen on seeing Jolt in alt mode next to a Battle Blade, or 07 Bee. Skids with well, Skids. And perhaps Topspin with any DOTM/07 cars.

Any takers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    The feedback forums threads generally include this, and most video reviewers do at least one size comparison. Don't butcher DOTM Barricade, he rocks!

But yes, all of the DOTM deluxes and voyagers are a bit smaller than the earlier toyline so if scale really obsesses you that much, you're better off just avoiding the DOTM line. (or sticking to HAs / Leaders who are still backwards compatible size-wise)

3. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I hate to advertise it, but the galleries at Seibertron often compare the DOTM mold with the ROTF or earlier version, in the cases where one exists.

4. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Battle Blade Bumblebee is bigger than normal. even compared to Rotf Deluxe cars, he's quite taller in bot mode and a little bit bigger in car mode. Dotm Deluxes are on the other hand, as you mentioned, "considerably" smaller. i think you can be ok with most cars (wreckers at least, they seem bulkier in car mode, and Sideswipe may be), but Barricade will dissappoint you in both modes if you really care about scale. BB Bee would tower over him in a battle scene since he's exceptionally short in Bot mode)

Although i inspected many of the deluxes from dotm in stores (and online), i could only bring myself to buy Crankcase so far, i know he's the most out-of-scale one of them, but he's too awesome to pass and with a little mistransformation in feet, he can be as tall as BB Bumblebee at least and seems quite good next to Voyager Ironhide (Rotf) and Deluxe Sideswipe (Rotf) scalewise in a mexian standoff scene on the desk).

i'm going to buy Topspin when i see him for sure, since he's also too awesome to pass. But for other deluxes, i will hope and wait for a clearence.

Here's my rules to control and manage my scale-freakness:

1. If they're not in scale in one mode, they should be in scale in other mode (preferably in bot mode for screen characters and in alt mode for off-screen characters).
    2. If it didn't in scale in both modes and it's too good to pass, it better be not a screen character. (Rts Lugnut, Dotm Skyhammer, Hftd Highbrow...)
    3. Even if they're not in exact/correct scale, planes/helicopters and big trucks/constructicons/tanks should be always at least one class size bigger than automobiles. (For the bot mode's sake)
    4. If they are screen-accurate in bot mode, alt mode scale is not important. (Hence the my leaders Optimus, Sentinel, Starscream and hopefully Megatron and Shockwave)

5. Drohitan

Drohitan Rogue Decepticon

Yeah, I agree on Crank, so far out its nuts, but his bot mode is one of the best ever.

Thanks for all the advice gang, its really appreciated.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The scale is a bit smaller for DOTM than past movie lines, but it works to a degree. At least when you compare the car bots to, say, the Leader-sized figures. The Voyagers are too small, that much I agree with. Hopefully we get a Leader Megatron and Shockwave so I can relegate the Voyagers to alt mode duty. But the Voyagers are pretty nice for the time being, however inaccurate they are to the CGI models.

[​IMG]

And DOTM Barricade is a neat mold. Granted he is a bit fiddly but the crazy glue / Future floor polish / clear nail polish on the ball joints trick will tighten up his arms and legs where he can hold a decent pose. Throw in a little mistransformation to fix his proportions, and he's easily one of my favorite Deluxe figures of DOTM!

[​IMG]

7. kortess

kortess Gladiatron

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The scale for DOTM Deluxe Barricade is 1:38 like the others figures in the picture below
    (like the Studio Series Bumblebee)

Attached Files: