Sales Data for War for Cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Ashley Wilbanks, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Promising numbers.

Wait, why am I looking at this when I should be playing and getting Double XPs!!!

2. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I live in a small town an hour outside of a big town with a walmart and a gamestop

both have none on the shelves. they may have some under the counter for presales.

to me that sounds like it did better than they planned here.. and I lie I need to find a few of these "closet" fans in my community.

3. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are several reasons for the somewhat low sales. High Moon is a small and unknown developer, who so far only made three games, and only one an original title. It has no where near the reputation of Rockstar, and frankly comparing between them is laughable.
    Second reason is that the game is based on a obscure licensed product which in that past has only had medicore games at best. You can't compare it to COD which has built it's reputation being a great game and multiplayer experience.
    Third reason is the reviews. While IGN had people considering it, Gamespot's and Giant Bomb's review drove people away. This wasn't the case with neither RDR nor COD.

4. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Since 2003, Call of Duty has released six games on the Major home consoles and PCs. This doesn't count portable and cell phone versions. Transformers has released Armada, The 2 Movie Games, War for Cybertron, and the Beast Wars game (once again not counting the portable and cell phone games). You could include the unreleased to the states G1 game from Japan, but it wasn't a major release.

Armada was the last overall good Transformers game. COD has been critcally acclaimed in each of it's iterations. And Red Dead is essentially an extension of the GTA series, and has had WAY more buildup and hype than WFC. It's been in production since like 06 and has been gaining hype since then.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Phase... Two. Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    For a game like this, I think those numbers are pretty damn good.

6. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For a game like this perhaps, but regardless they are very poor in the eyes of High Moon and their publisher.

7. Simes

Simes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    UK / Europe wise, those figures are pretty awful but like Draven said, it's the distribution that's to blame for that, not the developer's reputation or review scores. Transformers games will sell no matter how good or bad they are just like any major licenced game series - it's been the same since the games industry started (and I'm saying this as someone who's worked in it as a retailer, jornalist and developer).

The problem with WFC is that people simply haven't been able to buy it this side of the pond. A lot of gaming stores in the UK barely received enough stock to satisfy pre-orders, some were told by their suppliers that the game had been cancelled(!), and some only received copies on limited formats (PS3 and XBox 360) and when they did receive copies for the shelves, they disappeared almost immediately.

In the town I live in, I found TWO copies of the game on sale out of a potential 5 stores that could have had it available to purchase and I had to buy mine from Tesco! Says it all really. Activision ARE working on it, and their PR company do know about the fiasco, but whatever they do to try to put things right is going to be too late to take advantage of the hype machine that always surrounds a launch date.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yippie!

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Says who?
    It's the number one game on Xbox 360 and PS3.

10. Soundscream

Soundscream Active Member

Promising? Don't make me laugh... These kind of games should sell more in launchweek. After that it's going downhill. I found the game mediocre at best. A typical bagainbin game. It says Activision on the box afterall.

11. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Those figures are not good. Sure, the game will pay off its development costs, but I very much doubt it will make enough to warrant a sequel.

Ironically, while the story is very, very good and the graphics are solid, the gameplay (at least on my PC) is awful. Maybe it plays better on the consoles, but some of the issues I have aren't exactly platform-based.

12. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    They're not as bad as they could have been, and remember, this is only a week or so after going on sale. 200,000+ is better than some other games have managed recently (News: Games industry 'in a state of decline' - Pachter - ComputerAndVideoGames.com). I blame Red Dead. That game is too awesome...

But yes, I do share your fears that the numbers may not be quite good enough to warrant a sequel. It doesnt help that i've seen no advertising for the game whatsoever in the UK (dunno about the states).

Hopefully, HOPEFULLY it'll prove to be a sleeper hit and will get a steady stream of sales via word of mouth.

13. KupDidntCThis

KupDidntCThis Autobot Smoke-a-Blunt

i still have yet to get mine :( 

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think there's little difference in the number of COD games than TF ones only just mind if you count all the slightly different version on the Wii and PC. and the only reason the Transformers number is close is because of old stuff on the C64 & NES and Gameboy.

The call of duty cames that have come out be they on console or PC have one big difference they actually had a marketing budget.

My Local ASDA doesn't even sell War For Cybertron - you have to order it.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome news. I hope we get a sequel.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope *some* people in this thread realise a product doing good is not comparing it to the biggest best selling competition and claim it to be a failure from there.

It's about the investments put into the product, and the profit that you will gain in the end. I heard WFC took 2 years to create, which I guess is normal, but I'm pretty sure some games like GTA4 or Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect took 3 to 4 years.

I reckon the estimated sales for WFC are lower than say, Call Of Duty 6, so the investmens are lower and the point of break even / profit / warranted sequel, is reached faster.

Last time I checked, being among the top sold games across all platforms wasn't 'bad'.

17. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Yay 360 ftw!

18. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Another thing to keep in mind is that games like Red Dead Redemption have had hollywood blockbuster levels of advertising consisting of mass television commercials and big billboard ads. WFC had nowhere near that kind of budget.

19. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Wow. Not bad at all for a Transformers game.

20. Elvio

Elvio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We'll have to wait for the monthly total but typically games like these rely heavily on front-end sales. It's all downhill for games, sales don't go up after launch day. 118k on the 360 wouldn't be enough to crack the top ten in the US so if these are worldwide sales.... well if a brand new game doesn't crack the top ten it's generally considered a flop. Like I said though it's too early to tell. It'll be the monthly total that determines if it's a success or not.