Safe areas around Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by sunlink, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Blackout05

Blackout05 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yes!!!! eat White castle if you will be in a small area with a big group of people for a long time... lol

2. hockeygamer40

hockeygamer40 Autobot Hockey Player 40

News Credits:
    I agree with you whole heartedly. Although I live here, I have to take Wednesday and Thursday off for the molding class, and I will be opening my booth on Friday morning (Roman Games). I will be at my booth off and on, but not balled-and-chained completely like last year.

I've had conversations already with some of the local collectors that we better grab what we want now because it may be gone after Botcon. We're nervous because we never did get G1 Attacktix (wave 2) and don't want to miss out on potentially leaked Animated figures.

For food and entertainment, Skyline Chili has several locations downtown, and LaRosa's delivers pizza (347-1111 as the jingle goes) . Make it a point to go see Fountain Square because they just finished revamping it and there are a lot of food places down there including Graeter's ice cream. Maybe some folks would be interested in catching a baseball game since the Reds are a lot closer than Red Sox were last year.

Send me a personal message if you want anything else more immediate. I'll be checking this thread to see how we can welcome guests into town.

3. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Say, you are awesome! Thanks for all the info you are posting for us all!
    Backscatter & I will definitely check out your booth and hopefully throw a little business your way.
    We are so looking forward to another great BotCon!

Thanks again!

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what have they got roaming around cincy after dark? o_O 

5. LoungeLizard

LoungeLizard Insert clever title here.

Ebay:

This is making me homesick. lol (grew up in Dayton, nrth of cinci) Graters, along with Larosa's Pizza were always on the list on trips to cincy. I would also recomend that anyone coming from the north, stop in Dayton for Marions Pizza. Just about the best thin crust pizza in the universe (is that too much of a build up?)

6. LoungeLizard

LoungeLizard Insert clever title here.

Ebay:

Cincis crime rate is a little high for its size. It's not horrible, but there are some bad elements around. Crime rate is worse than the nation average, but its not a death trap or anything. Common sense should get ya through. (dont walk down dark alleys. Dont taunt the Pimps. ;)  ). The only serious concern i would have is if you drive a high end vehicle. Car thefts and break-ins can be bad if you park on the street in some places. But i would think near the con should be fine.

7. Saralady

Saralady Member

I've lived a little north of Cincy my entire life and STILL have never had Graeter's icecream. Maybe I'll have to finally seek out some while I'm at the con.

I would recommend that people avoid the University of Cincinnati area once the sun goes down. There is an excellent Indian restaurant by UC called Ambar India, but the parking lot is tiny, so be prepared to try and find parking on a side-street. This area is right by UC, but is a little safer due to a decent amount of human traffic.

Hotel wise, just about anything off of I-75 should be a decent place to stay, plus you can pop back onto the highway and drive straight down to the con.

8. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    As far as hotels go, if you go south into Kentucky you will find hotels along I-75 like Saralady stated that are way cheaper. like $75 a night or so. Plus drive time is less than 10 minutes. I live in Florence and my drive time is less than 15 minutes. I pass several hotels along the way. I've lived here all my life and I worked by the Convention center for 4 years. If anyone needs some information about Northern Kentucky as Cincinnati seems to be covered by other members LMK

9. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

Me and a friend will be staying at the Ramada Cincinnati at the Downtown/Union terminal. Will I need to bring one of my wifes service guns with me?

10. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    Doesn't look like it. The questionable area of 8th St. starts about a half-mile to the west of there :D 

11. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  12. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

i fgind box rwight in box... itchy itchy ugly faced so killd him tasty itchy..

13. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:

Thanks again for all the info - I just scored a hotel in Florence for $25 a night. Only 15 mins from the convention center.

14. ChaoCatcher

ChaoCatcher Anarchist Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds like you got the same idea I did, sunlink. I've got a room reserved at a Motel 6 in Florence, KY - just 10 miles from the Duke Energy Center, and only $29.99+tax per night for a single! Yes, I'm a cheap bastard - helps me spend more money on Transformers. :p 

15. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    helps me spend more money on Transformers - laff that's what my wife said to me. I'm actually at the Studio Plus Cincinnati (in Florence) but yeah $100 total for my hotel stay.

16. hockeygamer40

hockeygamer40 Autobot Hockey Player 40

News Credits:
    I'm just glad to sleep in my own bed for this year's show. I hardly got any real sleep during last year's con because so much was crammed into a small period of time!

I hope everyone has a wonderful time downtown. I'll be happy to help folks find their way whenever possible!