Sacrificing transformation for accuracy

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by sabrigami, Nov 15, 2012.

1. sabrigami

sabrigami Active Member

I've been debating doing customs for a while now, but I wanted some opinions on something first. When it comes to customs, has anyone basically took away the figure's ability to transform for the sake of accuracy? Has anyone just made them into action figures?

I was really curious about this because in a sense it is kinda blasphemy sine they are meant to transform. In all honesty, I rarely transform mine and am more interested in accuracy and articulation.

Anywho, I was just wondering :inquisiti 

2. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

it's entirely up to you.you have to do what makes you happy.now if you plan on selling them,then you have to make the customer happy.my rule of thumb is to try and get as accurate a robot mode as possible.9/10 this will result in a fairly coherent vehicle mode color scheme

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally I'm more impressed by customs that can still transform. But don't let that stop you if you think no transformation is the way to go. Especially if it's for your collection.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout The Undefeated of the East

News Credits:
    Often, when people want SUPER detailed robot modes (or vehicle modes sometimes), transformation will be sacrificed simply by not being able to accomodate all the detail (I.E. a movie Sentinel Prime that frenzy_rumble made extremely accurate can't transform due to all the hoses and stuff on the chest that can't go anywhere)

5. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A lot of times G1 style doesn't need to be sacrificed for a good look in both modes. You can get "better" if non-transforming (unless your name is JARROD). Movie stuff.. well.. PRIME example.. MOVIE LEADER CLASS PRIME=AWESOME TRANSFORMER. or DMK OPTIMUS PRIME=AMAZINGLY DETAILED ACCURATE OPTIMUS PRIME FIGURE!

So to be honest, who cares. If you like it that is all that matters. Some will not like it, others will.

6. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True - I appreciate the detail in non-transforming customs, but really they're called Transformers for a reason...

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is where I fall on this topic. Sacrificing the transformation aspect of a Transformer is counter-intuitive for me*. I'd rather see a Transformer custom that transforms than to see one forever stuck in robot mode for whatever reason.

*Action Masters get a pass from me simply because it's G1 (as I'm just a fan of the brand) and it's a product of its time (and it pretty much put the nail in the coffin for the brand at the time); notably, the weapons and other aspects still transformed, yet the core figures themselves didn't. Also, the term "Action Masters" refers to a specific fiction set, and does not designate a specific figure type.

8. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

I recently had Unicron9 create a custom IDW Fortress Maximus for me. It does not transform. I was looking for acuracy over transformation, big reason was because there was no pics of his alt mode. Now we could have just created something, but I wanted it to look JUST like the books, so I am happy with the "Action Master style" :) 

Personally sometimes it is more important for accuracy over transformation.

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I usually prefer to have transformation, because it's much easier to than no transformation customs.

If the thing doesn't transform, people start looking at all the little details, and then you have to start wondering "Will they spot the scratch on the pipe?" and "Is my painting as good as FrenzyRumble's or Spurt Reynolds'?", to which the answers are usually "yes" and "no way in hell" respectively.

So yeah, transformations are built into the figure, unless you are extremely skilled with paint work and detailing, I'd let the transformation do the talking.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Custom doesn't need to transform in order to be a Transformer.
    Non-Transforming Megatron...is still Transformers Megatron. I have yet to see 100% pleasing robot modes that still transform. Sacrifice an alt mode that many/most collectors won't ever even display, nor want to mess with.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Kimagure Orange Road

I have to agree with F_R. In most cases, the robot mode is what takes precedence at the end of the day.

12. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

I am first and foremost a fan of the characters, not their play features. Show me a well-crafted interpretation of that character, and it will get my attention. I said interpretation on purpose: there are some awesome renditions of certain characters that really stand out.

The bevy of Galvatrons you see around here is the perfect example. As one of my favorite Transformer characters (and character designs) of all time, I geek out completely when I see one that's well done and well thought out...whether it transforms or not. It's so hard to get the robot mode looking "right" while including a transformation, but the character to me is far more reflected in the robot mode.

And then there are the interpretations people have put forward. Because of the different designs in the past (G1 toy, movie, early comic, Energon, IDW, et. al.), this one lends itself well to creative license, and that's always fun to see put on plastic. This also gives a lot of leeway with regards to a possible alt-mode, as well.

If I'm doing a custom (speaking of which, I have one in mind for a Galvatron using Thunderwing as a base...probably won't ever actually do it, but at least the idea's out there), I'm mostly concerned with how the robot looks, but if I can integrate a transformation, then all the better. But I wouldn't sweat it. I wouldn't advise anyone else to, either.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If it doesn't transform, it's not a transformer and I'm not interested.

14. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with F_R's points - I can see killing an alt mode if a collector only wants the bot mode, or if the alt mode is unknown...

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Transformers is the name of the franchise...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  16. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

If it doesn't transform, take it to an action figure customizing website. I can't believe how chocked the Radicons forum is with "action masters", "robot masters", "revoltechs", and every other code word for "I was too lazy to engineer a custom figure that can still transform".

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Kimagure Orange Road

Come on, man. You don't have to like that particular method, but you certainly don't need to word it that way.

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Your wording may be misinterpreted as offensive. Surely you just don't know the lengths and attention a non-transforming custom can entail...sometimes (and often) more than a transforming version. Some collectors prefer a more dynamic, accurate robot mode. Why degrade that preference and label it "lazy"?

19. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Point well taken on the "offensive" comments. I think what I didn't make clear is that there's doing a non-transforming custom well (as I think both you gentlemen have done, if memory serves), and then there's the majority of non-transforming customs, which...well, I'll try to avoid the "L" word, but I have definitely had my fill of DOTM Leader-class Megatrons that clearly took someone maaaaybe 5 hours or so.

If someone is doing something for their own collection, and they're fine with quickie work, that's great and I don't begrudge them that. But when you put something onto a forum, it's a "look how cool THIS is" move, so it should have a better-than-average amount of effort put in. I have at least 10 customs I would be downright embarrassed to show this thread, but they're good enough for my own shelf.

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I honestly don't think anyone can blast out a Leader Class anything that is anywhere-near-accurate in 5 hours. If they can, I'd like to hire them ;) 
    The amount of work/hours/time/planning for a leader Class Megs would be mind boggling.

Hasbro's voyager made this apparent with it's "resembling nothing" robot mode.