S.H. MonsterArts

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Chosen, Aug 18, 2011.

1. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My 6 year old wants a Revolvatech Mothra because she can't really play with the Monsterarts one she got last year. Anyone have it with a recommendation? We have the Revolvatech Rodan.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If she can't play with the Mothra one, she is going to have a harder time with the Revoltech one.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why don't you get a vinyl version for her? Its durable...unless that's some 'safety' issues that I don't know of.

4. bobbyjack

News Credits:
    She has 2 of the vinyl Rainbow Mothras. She wants one that looks like her Monsterarts Mothra. Thanks for the advice on the Revoltech Mothra. I'll skip it.

5. bobbyjack

News Credits:
    I ended up getting her a 2004 Final Wars vinyl Mothra. Never spent that much on a vinyl figure before but at least she will be happy.

6. vatarian

vatarian Hive Princess

I finally picked up Special Colors G2000 after hearing a lot of good things about him over on Toho Kingdom. And I'm..... Underwhelmed. That isn't to say that he's a bad figure. The tail, spines, legs, and pretty much the entire figure are beautifully sculpted. And the first is masterfully articulated. And the paint is all-around beautiful, particularly the eyes and claws.

But there are some.... Issues. Honestly more than I had with G2014, who was badmouthed to hell and back.

Knees were designed by an idiot. Unprotected internal hinge that likes to disconnect and is fucking hellish to reconnect. Tip of his tail comes off very easily. Not a defect per say, but annoying. The articulation for the back and neck are frustrating. I understand this thing's suppoed to mimic the ugly-as-hell concept maquette, but the thing is STUCK in said hunched position to an annoying extent. Pretty much every other SHMA figure is capable of rearing backwards to a much greater extent, regardless of the intended default pose. And he has a small smear of red paint just behind the jaw and other similarly minor errors. Is that an issue? No. But it's pretty hilarious to see on a figure the entite Godzilla community has pretty much been worshipping like a god, while G14, which is pretty much universally jeered at, had fewer errors.

Come to think of it, Godzilla 2014 had better overall articulation, too.

All in all, 8/10. Just 8/10. It's pretty, it's dynamic, and it has strong-points, but it's not the masterpiece everyone's made it out to be by a very long shot.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    My SCV 2000 has none of that. I had issues with the original one when he came out that was fixed with a replacement, but my SCV is perfect. Best Godzilla figure in the entire line.

8. vatarian

vatarian Hive Princess

Perhaps simply bad luck, then? I suppose it was bound to fall on me eventually with regards to this line.

9. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Since the Monsterarts scene has been slow lately, I decided to grab a couple of figures, and do some experimenting with a photo shoot. I pulled a couple of my favorites from my display.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Awesome sequence! I love Gamera but same agree with the outcome.

11. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Thanks! I may have to do an alternate ending down the road. :D 

12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And now I want both of these.

Damn you!!! :lol 

13. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Nooooo! All I know is an overgrown ape should have no chance in hell against Godzilla...especially under water.;)  Gamera, maybe.

LOL! I've always wanted a Gamera but have held off up to now but been eyeing that Godzilla recently.

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's a nice sequence, PC1!

Gamera's pretty sweet, totally worth a pick up in my eyes. It's too bad we're not getting at least additional Gamera kaiju to go with it, because Gamera turned out pretty well.

15. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

Gamera is a great fig. He is so amazingly expressive. The only legit complaint with him is the opening chest gimmick which is a little fragile and finicky. But honestly if you just ignore it exists it will never be an issue. His fireball effect is a must have for your collection of effect parts.

16. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up Godzilla 1964 Emergence Ver. It's a great upgrade for the figure. The dusty paint apps really call to mind the emergence scene from Godzilla vs Mothra but also do away with that old man'ish look that the standard paint job gave him thanks to the gray eyebrows. It improves his look standing next to the other Godzilla suit figures and sets him apart as a weathered veteran.

The included special effect part is a good little plus item. it's white with a little blue in it. It looks a bit like an ice shard. It fits Godzilla's mouth perfectly and it's unique among the breath weapons.

Overall, a great update to the figure. Wish they could have given us a couple more Godzilla suits to give a real "through the ages" feel but I'm pretty happy with the line.

17. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

18. bobbyjack

News Credits:
    ^^^I couldn't pass that up. Even crappy painted teeth, to get an MA '14 Godzilla for only a little bit more than the NECA? He will be mine right after Christmas. Thanks!

Just showed him to my son and he is psyched now too.

19. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a fantastic price for a monsterarts figure. I'm tempted by that.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone have any advice for attaching Millennium Godzilla (Special Color)'s head? Between the tolerances and the tendency of the peg to bend and the general, ah, spininess of the figure I'm finding it a near-impossible task!