S.H. MonsterArts

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Chosen, Aug 18, 2011.

1. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know the exact screen time for Godzilla in each of the previous films, but I've watched them enough times to absolutely agree (hell, Godzilla doesn't appear (other than flashbacks) until the halfway point in Final Wars). There was a lot of focus on the human characters with Godzilla in the (literal) background (like the new TF movies, hmmm...)
    I think the reasons that many of us (myself included) wanted more Godzilla is that:
    1. We've waited 16 years for a decent American Godzilla movie, and
    2. The human element just wasn't that interesting. I certainly enjoyed watching the human interactions in Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Biollante (really anything in the Heisei era) and Final Wars.

HOWEVER, I came here to ask about the repainted Godzilla 2000 figure (and I'm sorry if this has been answered before).
    I know there was a huge market for the first release of the figure (I ended up selling mine for like double what I paid), but now the repaint appears to be dropping in price. Is this because Bandai produced way more of them due to the demand for the first one? Did everyone who wanted one buy the first one so there's little need for the second?
    I've been told that the second release was slightly resculpted to allow for a better range of motion...wouldn't that be a selling point?
    I'm thinking about picking this guy up since I much prefer the second release colors, but obviously I'm hesitant.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Who said the SCV was resculpted? There is not a single bit of resculpting on him. The only difference other than color is that the SCV is done in a softer plastic.

3. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i've been debating getting that figure.. i want to grab it every time i see it in barnes and noble..

i don't have any monsterarts figures, but that one just looks too cool to pass up.

4. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the SCV Godzilla 2000. It was my first actual Godzilla Monsterarts figure. All my other figures were other Kaiju.

5. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The last several SHM had much bigger releases than previous monsterarts. Starting with Adult Jr, you could buy them at mainstream retail outlets. I bought Adult Jr at Toys R Us in China. They had begun stocking a wide number of SHF and SHM and Zero, etc. That was the first time for it. Since then I've also seen Adult Junior and the G2000 repaint at Barnes and Nobles stores along with a lot of other collector grade Bandai products. I'm sure the spike in distribution had to do with the film and home release so they just wanted to pick up extra sales based on name recognition.

6. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I'm close to breaking down for some SHM monsters to have something for my Neca Godzillas to fight.

Looking at the two versions of MFS-3 Type 3 Kiryu Mechagodzilla, I like the look and options of the 2003 version better. I can also get it for over $50 less than the 2002 version. I know the retail prices were higher for the 2003 version so what's the deal? Is there something about the 2002 version I should know about that would make it worth over $50 more on today's market?

Thanks for any insight on this.

7. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

The 2002 Kiryu was a beloved, popular figure, but it had its fair share of deals back when it was newer. The problem is that even though it was a retail figure and could even be found cheap now and then, when it sold out the demand skyrocketed. Then so did the prices. Even when the expected 2003 version came out, it didn't satisfy that demand. The armor is different, arguably worse given its shape and lack of color, the figure itself is a darker metallic that some people don't like, and there's always completists and Kiryu fans who would want both anyway. That's how you end up with a Tamashii Web exclusive easier to find and much cheaper than a retail release.

You can also see the same problem with the Godzilla 2000 molds, the original retail figure with purple spines still commanding more than the exclusive Special Color Version.

8. Slave IV

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks!

I can't justify both and I'm not as interested in the backpack (armor, you refer to?) as the figure itself. That plus I like the options and overall look of 2003 better and it's cheaper answers the question pretty easily for me. Now I'm sure, I'll be eyeing the 2002 version after I get 2003 and begin 2nd guessing my choice but I'll deal with that issue when I get to it.

Same thing for King Ghidorah I'm facing...pretty close to preordering the poster color reissue in hopes they improve the fragility a bit and it comes with more stuff. I'm not too concerned about the color right now but again, we will see what happens.

9. FoC Grimlock

News Credits:
    What do you guys think the chances are that the super articulated line will get reissues down the road? I've seen Bandai repackage vinyls before but I don't know their history with specialty figures.

10. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

The 2002 was one of the figures that was never directly released in North America. Whereas while the 2003 was an Tamashii web exclusive in the East, it was directly distributed by Bluefin in North America as a regular release. Hence 2002 is harder to get and more expensive while 2003 is more common in North America.

I have both and they are distinct in their own way. The 2002 is the factory fresh Kiryu all shiny with the colorful blue weapons pack. 2003 is the battle hardened Kiryu with the weathered gunmetal scheme and signs of battle damage. I think I give the sleight edge to 2003, just because I think it photographs better. But they both are the best figures in the SHMA line.

11. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

What? Every single retail MonsterArts has gotten a domestic release. I have no idea what you're talking about. The 2002 Kiryu I got from Amazon certainly has its Bluefin stickers prominent on it. The only difference in distribution is that when it was released, Barnes & Noble weren't carrying MonsterArts yet. Amazon, online retailers, and comic book/hobby brick and mortar retailers that sold Bluefin stuff all carried it. Both Kiryu absolutely had a NA release.

Well... that's a lot of what the past year's releases have been. Straight reissues and special redecos have been prominent, to the disappointment of those who want something new, but the reissues have been less common. Bandai's preferred to do variants because those encourage people to double dip for the unique accessories or alternate deco.

12. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    After Feb, that is all this line has been the entire year. A complete waste of time.

13. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Another solid tfw2005 member just jumped on the SHMA train with the 2000 re-release. I jumped on a few months ago. The reissues are brining in new fans and new dollars have faith!

14. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yes, and I don't have a problem with that. I wouldn't have a problem with the repaints if there were some new fucking toys in between them.

This year it has been Gamera, MKG, Godzilla 2014 red repaint, Godzilla 2014 spitfire repaint, dusty Godzilla 64, Godzilla 2000 repaint, Adult Jr reissue (which never stopped being readily available), and a Ghidorah repaint.

15. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I completely agree I would love new stuff despite the fact that I have been enjoying years of SHMA in a few short months..... Positive is good though keeps the Thread fun but you have vent I get it.

16. Slave IV

Thought I could wait to preorder KG reissue on NY but just noticed it's gone...Nooooooo!

17. ChiefWave

ChiefWave Well-Known Member

if anyone interested im selling my shma gamera 65 shipped within US. been dsiplayed comes complete with box.pm me if interested

18. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got my SHMA Godzilla Rebirth from BBTS. Much nicer than the NECA '94. Worth 3X times the price of NECA to me but probably not for everyone.

19. FoC Grimlock

News Credits:
    It's definitely cool. it's got the problem in some poses where you can see clear through him around the legs but it's a nice version of the really big late Heisei Godzilla. Beautiful paint job on him. I was hoping we'd get one more Heisei Godzilla out of them but he'll do.

20. ChiefWave

ChiefWave Well-Known Member

selling my x plus 2001 GMK bought new less then a month old.350 shipped