Running out of figures to look for

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, May 9, 2022.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    I'm having what feels like an very odd problem but I wonder how often this problem comes up for those of you have those huge collections and order a lot of Transformers every other month:

I'm running out of Transformers to look into picking up for the collection and it's something that makes me scratch my head at times trying to figure out what other figures need to be added to the collection and not finding that many to get.

Feels like Masterpiece and maybe a Third Party figure or two is what's left to pick up and maybe one or two Legacy figures like Optimus and Skids but other than that just not feeling that there's an need for more figures.

Anyone else have this problem?

I can search the stores but just not finding anything that really jumps out at me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    damn wish i had this problem. my wallet wouldn’t be as empty as it is now…

• Like Like x 6
  3. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    My backlog is only as long as it is because so much stuff has been so delayed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Revoticus

Revoticus Splitting headache

Having nothing to buy at the moment means you will have a bigger wallet for future figures that might interest you.

I think its wonderful since that is a good time to enjoy what you have already owned.

• Like Like x 7
  5. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    I can relate.

My wishlist has been empty for a while.
    I’m curious to see some of the leaked figures that have yet to be officially announced (Legacy/SS86), but other than that there’s nothing coming out that tickles my fancy.

Hoping TT will announce a new MP BW character at some point. Another Magic Square combiner (preferably Bruticus) would do too.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Tyjos

Twitter:
    This is probably the best thing about it is that while I'm dealing with things potentially changing to where I can't indulge in this Hobby like I used too it feels like that perfect time to just step back and enjoy what is here since after recently downsizing the Transformers collection not that eager to add more too it and the good thing about not shelling out a ton of money for figures is that at least my wallet won't be drained of $$$ every month.

With almost everything that I had collected getting to where it's gotten more expensive and that's the biggest turn off to me to get more finding that the more one focuses on what one has the happier one is overall so it feels good to me to be at this point every few months with collecting.

Not sure if I could ever stop collecting fully but being more satisfied to NOT shell out a lot for something else for the collection is a nice feeling to have.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TFtrial

TFtrial Well-Known Member

I can relate. I got back into collecting Transformers with WFC. My intent was to only collect the G1 84 crew with a few extra like Dinobots and Combiners. Waiting for Sludge and Blitzwing, I made an impulse purchase of Skids. Now I’m searching the Junkion page and eBay for the 85 crew. Those Coneheads aren’t going to be cheap .

• Like Like x 1
  8. bkh

bkh Well-Known Member

Just redid my wish list and my wallet is doomed. Alot of 3rd party stuff and a few older figures. Atleast Legacy is looking like I will not be buying much of it in the next 6 months.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PoptiOptimime

PoptiOptimime Well-Known Member

How about MM-01?

10. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    I don't have much in terms of figures I'm "looking for". There's a few stragglers from WFC I still need to get like Transmutate and Siege Smokescreen, but nothing before then I'm really looking for.

The biggest for me is Siege Skywarp. It's my biggest want.

Funnily enough, I was looking at Universe Hound and Sunstreaker since I wasn't collecting during that time.

11. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

How exactly is this a problem? There is so much more to Life than just collecting Transformers... Dude, go watch an Anime, or play a Video Game.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  12. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in a similar situation where there are fewer and fewer figures I want. I figure I'll just put some of that money towards upgrades and making my displays look better (better shelves, lighting, etc.) and save the rest. Definitely not a problem to spend less money.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Tyjos

Twitter:
    It's a problem to me when it comes to things that I normally have been collecting and felt like I'd always find something every so often that would get my interest to keep me collecting it's now getting down to a handful of things and that list of things keeps getting smaller and smaller.

I am at a point that I've got a kill switch in place for my collecting and at this time that's prudent thing to have set if things continue to get to where it's too expensive to me and between all the things I collect Transformers has been something that has gone up in price and honestly I'm satisfied with this collection as it is so feels like at first it feels like a problem to run out of things to acquire for the collection at least it will give me more time to do other things to distract me from what's going on here at home My father last month got hospitalized with Congestive Heart Failure and his health has been up and down since then after he returned home so having to deal with a change that will affect my ability to indulge in collecting gotta figure out what else I want to get for the collection before things get to where I can't do this hobby and just not finding a lot of things that get my interest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. UltraViolet

UltraViolet professional dummy

This is a good thing!!! The collection is never complete but it’s a great time to practice the self-restraint of resisting purchases that are unnecessary. I only buy figures and toys that I think are really A: fun , or B: cool

I think being able to look at your shelves or collection and say “I’m satisfied with this!” Is such a rewarding feeling. I think as collectors we often become fixated on having everything that we think we need but many of those figures end up unappreciated because of the bulk purchases we make with adult money.

i collect for the fun of it, and because I love playing with toys I focus my purchases around the coolest toys or ones with interesting gimmicks. It’s a form of therapy for me as someone who has a lot of mental health issues and needs to self-stimulate in specific ways.

I think it just means it’s a good time to step back and look at what other things in your life you love and focus on those. Keep updated on new transformer announcements so you don’t miss out, stay part of the community, but don’t force yourself to buy stuff just to buy!!! Take time to rediscover and love older purchases you haven’t appreciated in years …

• Like Like x 5
  15. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i am also going through this. i have pretty specific tastes and don't want to waste time, money and inevitably space on multiple scales and aesthetics just to satisfy every craving. nobody's meant to buy it all.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Tyjos

Twitter:
    Feels very good to NOT buy for just the sake of buying, sitting here looking at my desk that's got a lot of great figures from the various series I love to collect and finding myself enjoying having Buzzworthy Bumblebee a lot and that's a great figure to pick up and play around with.

I'm honestly kinda tired of the continual grind with collecting too with the collection having reached the point I want it at am unable to justify any extra purchases these days so that's part of why I at times scratch my head about what I want to get already very happy with my Masterpiece Transformers collection looking at my 2 favorites on the top level of my desk MP Prime and MP Shockwave make me not want to get anymore MPs just from looking at them since it feels like that's where MP's Peaked to me.

May9th2022Desk1.jpg

Having this type of desk setup makes me appreciate what figures are here a lot more.

• Like Like x 3
  17. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just end up repeating the same as I've said before in other threads, which is that after getting so much since CW followed by WFC, and then catching up on a crazy number of older figures, I'm felling like I could be done and I would not worry about it all that much.

Considering the price hikes one after another after than doubling with Siege, it's bad enough that it's getting damn close to 100$ CAD for two Deluxes, that it's making the "expensive" 3rd parties to not be that bad at all CONSIDERING the amount of quality issues that seems to get worst, including the cut corners Hasbro keeps taking.

Right now, I have the SS BB Arcee and that Cyclonus recolour on pre-order and that's it and zero idea if any non revealed figures will manage to woe me as so far, every other reveal has been very lackluster to me.

I do have a few 3rd parties on pre-order which are in line with just about what Hasbro is selling the figures for and I feel that for value/price, they'll outshine Hasbro easily.

So that leaves my future purchases as being ad-hoc with a 100% take on the fact that I will have to be freaking amazed by what I see, and even with the 3rd party stuff, I have no interest to spend the crazy prices some have and will stick to the reasonably priced ones only, but that said, I also have to say that after the ones coming, I feel like I'm good, and I can't think of any of character/figure that I consider as "needed".

So to me it's not a problem, it kinda feel fine to not worry about how much more will be spent, how bad the quality gets and the price hikes... I have more than enough figures for a lifetime and if anything, I have no trouble with old and used if complete and in good shape should something strikes my fancy.

• Like Like x 3
  18. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Just a Guy.

News Credits:
    I definitely can relate, not anymore though, I would recommend to downsize, Ik it sounds stupid but it will make you see value in a figure more, or look harder lol, for instance I am looking into obscure beast wars stuff now and have been collecting the neo series, also it’s just burnout, most of the time unless you truly are at the point where you have just had enough

also I just mainly buy the new waves with the stuff I want and wait in between, then I’ll find a few obscure and hard to find stuff maybe one or two figs before next wave comes out, like right now I am done until legacy wave 2 but I have been on this weird beast wars crave and I enjoy it

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tyjos

Twitter:
    Just downsized my Transformers collection by giving a lot of it to my Nephew and that's put things in better perspective when it comes to having figures since most of what I gave him was picked up when I was obsessive over a new exclusive but not really excited about that figure the old FOMO and things of that nature that drove a lot of those figure purchases and now that the Transformers collection is down to a nice manageable size feels like I enjoy what figures I have a lot more after giving that nice sized box of Transformers figures to my Nephew this past weekend.

The new stuff hasn't been getting my interest and not that interested in repaints that kills my interest more and finding at least 3rd Party figures do tempt me a bit more these days just the price has to be right on those.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    There's so much stuff to explore, Beast Wars, RID, Unicron Trilogy, movie toys, IDW style 3P, not to mention hundreds of comics to read and enjoy, it's hard to see how anyone can be done.

I guess if you've set a target of every 84-87 toy in modern form like a lot of collectors, then yes, you will be a lot closer to the finish line than the start. A lot of collectors self-impose rules that eventually stop them enjoying the hobby, but you only have to stop if you want to.

• Like Like x 1