Rumor: PS4 to block used games, force players to have a PSN account.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by grimlock1972, Mar 28, 2012.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

If the platform holders and publishers still want it around, it woulden't be hard to integrate rental services into your PSN or XBL account. You'd only have the choice of the major rental companies that they are already doing business with thougth, independent outfits and regional chains would be screwed.

2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    I honestly doubt this will ever happen, and if it does it will cripple many businesses.

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

....because of unsubstantiated baseless rumors with no grounds in reality?

They already do it on consoles, and it pops up more and more frequently nowadays. You put the disc in, go to play a part of the game and get a "You need to register a code to play this" message. I know Uncharted 3's Multiplayer wouldn't work unless you either bought it new and used the included code or bought a code off PSN. It's a terrible system and needs to be done away with before it shows up any more often. Major game companies are not losing so much money that they have to nickle and dime us on every damn aspect of a game like that.

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

ziero, i didn't know that about uncharted 3, i haven't gotten it yet and i read resistance 3 has the same deal if bought used. this makes me not want to buy them at all.

i really hope neither sony or microsoft do this otherwise i wont give them my money.

i found out that pc does this kind of thing and it just seem wrong to me.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I borrowed Uncharted 3 since I wasn't sure if I was going to full on buy it, and after beating the campaign on hard in a single day and finding out I couldn't do MP without paying for it I decided to not even bother. It's a good game and all, it's just really short and the MP thing was an asstastic move.

Batman Arkham City kind of did the same thing, where if you bought the game used, you'd have to pay to get the Catwoman missions where as if you bought it new they were unlocked for you. With Uncharted it was annoying but not terrible since they didn't screw over the story mode with their locking out of MP. But with Batman, the Catwoman portions of the game directly tie into the main story, so without them you're literally missing chunks of the game.

I can understand why they'd do this for PC games, especially MMOs or online heavy games, since it's stupidly easy to "pirate" games on the PC. But there's no excuse for doing this on consoles outside of simple greed.

6. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...I'm not buying the PS4...

I'm buying a used PS3 slim... then fill it with Used games.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's really pick your poison in this situation. Do you want shitty stores like gamestop continuing to grow because of the used game market, or do you want to see publishers and developers making more money off of new games?

Honestly I buy everything new anyways, and doing away with used would see more money going directly to the developers who will hopefully invest it into making better games. Thats a better option for me.

However I don't like when a company just trys to eliminate a resale market. I bought an item for retail price, I own it. Why would I not be entitled to reselling it if I choose to do so? It's just like a car, toy or any other item. It's the reason ebay exists, for a second hand market.

So despite thinking that the money would go to making better games, despite how much I hate gamestop, I would still have to side against any system that went with this policy just because they are eliminating a right to resell something I OWN. That does not sit well with me and I couldn't support that.

8. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

But a lot of game stores rely on used games to make some money.

9. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

But some people can't afford to buy game once they come out and end up waiting for either the price to drop or get a used one.

10. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

Sorry but anyone who trades in games to gamestop is a moron IMO they hardly give you anything for them and it's all store credit.

11. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

You do realize that not everyone who buys used does so via gamestop right?

12. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wait for price drops on several of the big name games. I've played all the mass effects and assassins creeds but I buy them new for $20 once they hit greatest hits a few months down the road. It's not a new release, but that's still buying new.

Besides, if you can't afford a new release game is the $5 difference that gamestop gives you for buying used seriously going to make it any more affordable?

really other places sell used games? :eek: 

seriously though, I was just using them as an example cause they're the most commonly known one. it's sad cause they really give the second hand game business a terrible name with the common pisspoor service.

Again, if you guys re-read my post I'm actually against this lockout because it prohibits what you can do with a product you have purchased, and own. They are trying to extend their ownership to the product to limit what you can do with it AFTER you have spent your money purchasing it. I don't see how you can justify that as being right no matter how you look at the situation.

13. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's just the sort of thing they would expect us to deal with, wether we like it or not.

Space isn't the only problem with DL games. What assurances do we have of them even staying? I mean Sony already removed some PSN games not just from the store, but from the users download list too! Also they were not compensated.
    Of course there was a reason for that, in that the games removed could be used to install homebrew on the PSV but still, it's a scary scenario.
    Plus what happens to an always online game if they decide to shut down the servers?

14. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I understand a little bit about the online play, but as to making the game itself work, I haven't seen anything like that, yet. I'm personally hoping that this is just another one of those fake "insider" rumors, or, just something Sony contemplated but decided against, but it's just now brought to light.

15. magmatron

News Credits:
    The fact that there are rumors on both sides gives it some credit, not to mention the interview we get every other week about some game developer or company president talking about how used games are killing the industry.

16. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking too. With rumors of first microsoft and now sony doing this I think this rumor is more likely true and while microsoft didn't mention the constant online only connection to play games, I can only guess the same would be true. If these rumors are true I guess that means I'll just stick with the old machines and games to play offline. I will not be forced to have a constant online connection and be told how to play games.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Oh it's quite grounded in reality. You see here's a knowledge bomb for ya, in a certain place in the world selling used games is illegal. We call this place Japan. The whole reason that the PS3 has this lock out feature was to comply with Japanese laws against trading in black market used software. And it's why the PS4 will have this feature too. The other companies will too, as they want to sell in Japan. I doubt however that the full force will ever be implemented outside Japan. The worst we'll see is what your seeing now with Uncharted 3. Gamestop and Bestbuy have way to much market clout to let the hardware manufacturers kill a segment of their business.

18. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I heard a rumor that the PS4 (also called "The New Playstation") will not allow you to play X-Box games of anytype. WTF is that noise?

:p 

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    maybe if we "critique" hard enough they'll change it

20. magmatron

News Credits:
    Where did you get that piece of info? Used games are available everywhere in japan and is by no means a black market.