Rumor: Next Line after Siege

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by catz, Jul 11, 2019.

1. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    How would you do that? Majin and Broadside are of two totally different "body-types" and only share one mode; you'd have to make one or the other, I think.

• Like Like x 5
  2. denebian

denebian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alpha Trion / Lio Convoy and Broadside / Tidal Wave only share one mode in Titan's Return / Legends, but were retooled from each other. Stranger things have happened.

• Like Like x 1
  3. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

Ebay:
    They share most of their legs and some skeletal parts. I'd hardly call that a retool. Especially when they don't transform the same way. They merely share parts, nothing more.

4. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    if Takara can turn Moonracer into Tentakil, they can turn Broadside into Majin Zarak.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Craziness, thats like today I heard the Seibertron podcast guy ask Hasbro directly for a repaint of Omega Supreme as Omega Spreem.

Majin Zarak has less than zero exposure outside of Japan, thus if anyone's going to tackle it, it will be Takara.

Why?

Star Convoy: has just a little more exposure, not much, and is much more marketable (being an Optimus) and yet he's a Takara exclusive, fortunately being sold, at a premium through Pulse.

DaiAtlas: Same story, except I don't believe he was sold through Pulse.

But, wait we haven't even looked at Majin Zarak
    Maybe he's generally marketable, right?
    Nope, this is Majin Zarak,
    Majinzarak_robot.jpg
    at least from what my googles suggest. Unfortunately, there's nothing in that shape that looks remotely like Broadside.
    Broadsidecharactermodels.jpg

So this is what I'd call a rediculous ask of Hasbro. But.....Takara might....maybe. Look the other problem is he'd need to big, and a new mold; at a time when even Super Megatron is a remold. I guarantee if these characters weren't limited to a Japanse audience they might get entirely new molds.

• Like Like x 7
  6. PrimalFury

PrimalFury The Chosen One

News Credits:
    Majin Zarek would definitely need to be Titan Class and an original mold unrelated to Broadside.

I have LG-EX Dai Atlas and I've seen all pertaining to Star Convoy and Piranacon etc, Piranacon is better than nothing maybe but Dai and Star are mockeries, piss poor at best, I want to Love them but objectively, they are not good, I'd much rather wait until Hasbro exhausts their library enough to warrant making JP characters, eventually it should happen, they are obscure sure but among Hasbros specified target demographic (10 year olds) ALL 1984 G1 characters are obscure. The last movie, RID2015, Rescue Bots, Cyberverse, that's what's in the now so those are known and any characters that look similar enough to their G1 counterparts will be recognized but today, recognition in Generations by gen pop 10 year old is irrelevant.

If they feel the toy is cool and fun enough to appeal to their target AND or adult collectors, than they may make it. There are some JP characters that they have done recently that the casual TF collector today knows little to nothing about such as Black Shadow, Overlord, Metalhawk, etc

If they want to continue making Titans, eventually they will have to use some JP characters, after Scorponock and maybe Sky Lynx, there are no more Titan Class USA G1 characters sans Omega Sentinel

• Like Like x 6
  7. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

Ebay:
    Unless they want to Titan-up the Scramble City Combiners. And honestly, I can dig it. Maybe they could even throw in the citybot-compatible Scramble City base modes of the original mold team leaders? Silverbolt, Motormaster, Hot Spot & Onslaught's G1 toy base modes. They'd all be out-of-scale in bot mode, yes, but their combined modes would be very much in-scale, and they'd get the bonus of updating those 4 base modes as well.

I'd imagine we wouldn't see anything like that in a few years though, regardless.

• Like Like x 2
  8. PrimalFury

News Credits:
    I think many people would be ok with that, me personally, I'm burned out on combiners unless we are talking JP Combiners that have not be done yet or that have not been done right (looking at you Platinum Edition Liokaiser)

• Like Like x 4
  9. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Problem with that. Hasbro is never gonna exhaust the g1 us cartoon cast. They already did. And now they're just repeating themselves.
    Ironhide, seekers, Soundwave, hound, Datsuns, Optimus, Megatron, spriger, ultra Magnus, Sideswipe it's all been done before.
    Hasbro is never gonna "get around " to guys like Violen Jiger, Dinoking, or Quickmix. Not when they can just make another Wheeljack or Sunstreaker.

• Like Like x 3
  10. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Moreover, it's not what Hasbro are using, and thus not a particularly useful guide to Titan eligibility. Or really any other size class, for that matter.

I'm reluctant to hedge my bets on Titans after WfC chapter 3. I feel like the CHUG and retail landscapes may have shifted so significantly by that point that it'd be kinda daft to forecast anything.

• Like Like x 6
  11. PrimalFury

News Credits:
    The guy who made it said he used official clips and posted them up etc but nonetheless, I can be objective. Can you please provide an official JP G1 scale chart?

12. PrimalFury

News Credits:
    Nonetheless, we know for a fact that Combiners are Titan Class, there are some who are slightly smaller or bigger but they are Titans from there, anything bigger than a Combiner is also a Titan Class figure

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Majin does not appeal to a mass audience, especially with no exposure, in a way that would justify $120+ price.

(Or to put it this way, would you have your company invest $100,000+ on this mold, -with your job on the line hanging in the balance, I dont think any person or business would make that bet)

Nostalgia is a huge selling point. Who buys the figures for kids? The parents who grew up with Transformers.

And no, G1 would never be exausted as long as we continue to reliably purchase product.
    Titan wise, they could easily go back and redo Metroplex to look more G1.

• Like Like x 2
  14. barry

News Credits:
    That seems like a rather disingenuous question. I mean, if by posting the image you're implying that the chart gives some sense as to scale considerations for characters from season 3 onwards to JG1 I think the burden of evidence is on you to provide proof that Hasbro is adhering to that scale chart. And with Siege release like Crosshairs and Flywheels being released at sizes that don't align with that chart we already know they're not. I'd probably just quit posting that

See above. That argument is only definitive if the WfC design team are beholden to your scale chart. In fact, even if we do adhere to that and the individual parts of Road Caesar are Voyagers then we're already into mass shifting. scale chart busting territory, as Road Caeser's torso itself looks to be the size of three Braver's. And on the off chance we get the three Brainmaster cars, it feels more likely to me that they'd be Deluxe sized. So, not all Combiners are unarguably Titan class, which then throws off any conclusions about anyone that appears taller than a combiner on a demonstrably unreliable scale chart.

• Like Like x 4
  15. barry

News Credits:
    Also^this! Though I hope, like @Bob Schoonover that we do get Raiden before going back to the well is considered.

• Like Like x 5
  16. autoclave

autoclave Star seekers TITAN hunter

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Or go for the easy Metrotitan decepticon repaint.

• Like Like x 5
  17. PrimalFury

News Credits:
    Crosshairs etc were already explained earlier in the thread, any low tier characters that are retools, repaints etc will obviously not be to scale, most people who call themselves TF fans never heard of Crosshairs, him getting a figure period is a strike against those claiming that obscure characters dont get made etc, obscurity as explained in detail earlier, is mostly irrelevant, what matters is if the toy appeals to 10 years and or adult collectors but the primary target is 10 year old boys per Hasbro official statements. To a 10 year old, ALL US and JP TF are obscure, if they are not featured in the movies, RID2015, Cyberverse or RB, its obscure, obviously that's not meaning characters who are easily recognized by 10 years old even in G1 form IE Bee, Prime, Megs, SS etc.

People will believe what they want, the scale is just a reference, I never said Hasbro was following that exact scale, only that they are following a definite scale based on the cartoon per official statements and that scale is NOT based on animation errors.

If anyone else has a scale, feel free to share it, I googled official scale, this is what came up for JPG1.

Combiners ARE titans by matter of fact, that has NOTHING to do with me or this scale, as stated elsewhere in the forum that's per Jphn Warden, hes stated this in an interview also posted earlier in the thread. Its basic, Combiners = Titan than anything bigger is also Titan, example, Devastator, Omega Supreme.

Anyone saying the burden of proof is on the person pushing the claim is correct but I'm not pushing this scale as THE one true scale, it's all I have access to, I wouldn't be able to prove anything one way or another and even if I could, anyone could easily brush it off as opinion or conjecture without a video interview with an official Hasbro rep. 20190903_194430.jpg 20190815_092412.jpg
    The siege figures line up closely to that scale which I acquired bu Googling "Official Transformers 1984 cartoon series scale chart". I welcome anyone to share their own accepted scale chart for US or JP G1.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  18. barry

News Credits:
    I think, at this point, it might be useful to consider the American and Japanese series as separate cartoons. As noted with Crosshairs and Flywheels, there are counter-indications that John Warden is going for JG1 cartoon accuracy. Thus when he says the WfC scale is based on the cartoon, he's referring to the US stuff.

On a side note and with this talk of animation errors, it feels pertinent to repost this anecdotal evidence, where John Warden himself has stated that Sky Lynx could fit in either class. He's even invoked mass shifting. Judgements on scale, and even what can be considered an animation error on scale, get slippier.

Except the for CW combiners who are about Commander size, except they're not in Siege scale. But Devastator is. But he's not part of Siege. And neither is Predaking. So, aside from a neat confluence between WfC Omega Supreme and CW Devastator we have no indication about the design team's thoughts about Combiners (you mentioned a video but didn't link to it. My recollection is that any of Warden's statements on Combiners were much less prescriptive that what you're putting forward). So 'matter of fact' suddenly looks pretty disputable. And that's not even touching on my previous point about Road Caesar and the implications for characters his size or taller.

I wouldn't recommend googling 'official' anything as way of backing up an argument. The word 'official' can appear anywhere in a web page and doesn't denote that the source is guaranteed official content. If we're going to use the scale charts to be definitive about the appropriate scale for any given character then the "accepted scale chart" we need is whatever John Warden and co are using for reference. Anything else is just noise rather than signal.

I see you've edited the post significantly since I started typing my response. I'll respond to the new parts.

Yeah, I mean that was an explanation you provided and I didn't feel it was compelling, or well thought through, then. And I still don't. Hasbro have presented no such point so this would appear to be just pure conjecture on your part. Are you saying that Crosshairs and Flywheels SHOULD have been Voyagers in Hasbro's eyes? I'd appreciate a straight yes/no on that one.

None of this has anything to do with the points I was making, and feels like a rather redundant argument seeing as Titans Return was full of 'obscure' characters on a level with Crosshairs. Some of them even got Leader class toys, like Sky/Blackshadow. I'm sure there are careful considerations that go into who might be eligible for Titan Class scale, but I wouldn't treat precedents on lower scale points as any indication of how those conversations might go.

And thanks for posting the video you didn't post earlier. Unfortunately I don't have the spare fifteen minutes to watch this right now. If there's particular point I should fast forward to, do please let me know.

• Like Like x 3
  19. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hasbro is using sunbow scale, not jg1 scale, they are two different things.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Many people would rather see Predaking, Devastator, Monstructor/Dinoking and Liokaiser done in standard CW size first, myself included.
    But when we are past that I guess they could make anyone a titan combiner.
    I can see the appeal.
    They may be doing 84 because they are scared of losing that geewun collector cash, but every year they are pushing the treshold of which characters you could use in that list of characters you think will never get updated toys.
    Dinoking? Quickmix? Two years ago you would have said Spinister and Apeface.
    No doubt Violen Jigger and Majin Zarak will get their time in the sun.

• Like Like x 2