Rumor: Next Line after Siege

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by catz, Jul 11, 2019.

1. shellformer

shellformer @

The beast pretenders could have mould mates in existing BW characters. Chainclaw/Polar Claw, Snarler/Razorbeast, Carnivac/Wolfang or K-9 and Catilla/Tigatron.

The main flaw of this idea is that pretenders that didn't have animal or monster modes are left behind.

That's why I'm of multiple minds about pretenders. It's my favourite G1 subgroup and I would dearly like to see just one done properly with modern engineering but... I'm not sure about a full line or even a large portion of a line dedicated to pretenders because of not being sure how they'd work under modern price point/size class constraints. So given that they're intending to more or less keep legacy gimmicks for characters they revisit at least for the WFC lines (Spinister admittedly doesn't come with his two small targetmasters) I'm kinda leaning towards there being at most just a few pretenders in the future. Two, maybe, to get the most out of a single mould. Likely none because they've got a good chunk of G1 characters to redo until WFC is over, at which point they gotta start on OP and Grimlock etc all over again.

So pretender characters being thrown in alongside BW stuff is "fine, okay, it's decent" with me overall.

2. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spinister may not come with them but shrute/hairsplitter and singe are both coming out and trenchfoot is effectively a renamed pinpointer for crosshairs

• Like Like x 1
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Okay. I can see where you're coming from: rather something than nothing.
    I just think it would be a waste to do them half-heartedly.
    But I don't really want them in WFC either, since there really are heaps of G1 and G2 characters still waiting for an update without touching the Pretenders.

Let's talk a full line of Pretenders however:
    22 original regular Pretenders + inner robots.
    That's without the classics, the beast Pretenders, the vehicle Pretenders and the Monstrucons™
    Bam! That's already more than we got deluxes in siege (I think).
    So I think you're right it may be impossible to have updates of all Pretender characters in one line.

Maybe it would be best to sprinkle the entire lineup throughout all of the coming sublines of WFC and beyond.
    One positive is that several shell creatures and inner robots can be retools of each other.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It's entirely possible that Pretenders could be just it's own subline and go alongside with the BW line as a way to enhance the organic theme of the new direction Hasbro can go with once the WFC trilogy's finished without having to shove the Pretenders into the BW line.

• Like Like x 1
  5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Like they did with Slamdance. There's always exceptions to that rule, and at least a couple in Siege so far.

Did you have a hard time finding TR Doublecross/Twinferno at retail? No? At clearance at retail? No? At discount stores like Ollie's? No? And that was a two headed dragon, not some bizarre hybrid creature.

I would concede to this one, but honestly I think that mold's been remolded enough. Besides, I'd rather they squeeze Squeezeplay out of it.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope you're right, but we didn't get a single other Throttlebot than Chase/Roadburn, so I don't have the faith that other fans do of them completing teams like they claim they would.

• Like Like x 1
  6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    I'm just one guy, but here's how I'd tackle it:
    1. Beast Pretenders are modeled after their shells in alt mode (organic) and turn into robots based on the inner robot mode. (Yes, this would likely make them BW style figures).

2. Human Pretenders are modeled after their inner robot alt-modes in vehicle mode, but transform into robots that resemble their outer shells.

7. denebian

denebian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention Eject. We got Rewind, then both Rumble and Frenzy, but still no Eject.

• Like Like x 2
  8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Perhaps they ought to think outside the shell. Outside the box.
    So far, the Primemaster "Pretenders" were just a nice token nudge to the originals, but nothing more than just that.
    I think we've also seen by merit of forum brainstorming, that recreating the actual Pretender gimmick of having a robot figure inside a shell, might not yield satisfactory results.

Let's look again at that Masterforce scene in which Metalhawk goes from Pretender shell to robot mode for the first time; we basically see his pretender shell morph into a kaleidoscope sort of subspace, from which his robot mode emerges.

In that sense, this is not too dissimilar from a magician's vanishing person in a box act:

What if Hasbro employs this concept for new Pretenders ?
    This would translate into a 2-figure pack: a full fledged deluxe transforming robot figure and a fully articulated "Pretender shell" figure of equal size.
    Then there would be this box contraption, colored like that kaleidoscope subspace, which can flip either figure from its door - on a revolving platform door inside.
    This way, both the robot figure and the "shell" figure could be engineered without real compromises.

Yeah, such a 2-pack might necessitate a new SKU price bracket, but hey.... we've got Commander Jetfire, a new size class as well.

9. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

This. The alternative is your future leader-class figures all use the Ultra Magnus armor-up gimmick but instead of armor, it’s the beast-shell.

You could also do it Prime Master style. Small figures with Pretender shells that turn into weapons/accessories. The inner robot would either transform into a tiny vehicle or into a “powermaster” type cube?

I like the designs of the Pretender shells I just really dislike the “shell” function.

Rant: Shells are dumb. You lose articulation in Pretender mode. And when you remove the shell, the shell piece is useless. /Rant.

If you can’t keep the articulation AND provide a purpose for the removed shell AND have a decent inner robot the concept is DOA IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    That's why I think they would do good to make all the shell creatures transform like the G1 Mega Pretenders did.
    The inner robots could be weaponizers. That way the interactions can have a lot more playability.

• Like Like x 1
  11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    More or less, yeah. You'd have a robot bear in a organic bear suit...and once you turned it into a robot you could have the organic bear suit turn into weapons/armor for the inner robot.

I mean, if you look at the four beast modes for these in particular (a bear, a boar, a jungle cat, and a wolf) there are BW figures that almost already look they're robots wearing animal parts now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Not all that is seen is truth. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Well, first I'd modernize the shells to have Marvel Legends or close level articulation and two... based on the Marvel Comics fiction the inner robot and their shells could fight side by side when they split from each other or function separately so you have more fire power for the price of one (I'm not terribly familiar with how Masterforce handled Pretenders other than them being, amusingly, human sized so that their inner robots had to utilize mass shifting to become a Pretender in the first place).

13. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

But that’s another problem: there’s budget limitations to contend with. On paper we’d want a high level of articulation but there’s price considerations that limit what you can do. :-/

• Like Like x 3
  14. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

Ebay:
    I disagree. The way Hasbro's trending, I think that it'll actually be easier to pull off modern pretenders. Shells that weaponize the inner bot's bot modes is the next logical conclusion to the Shockwave & Weaponizer concepts, even ignoring Ultra Magnus. Even an originally shitty concept like Gunrunner who essentially is a robot packed into a car could be made into an interesting figure by making said car able to break down into Weaponizer modules for Gunrunner in bot mode. He'd be a solid Deluxe-sized Voyager that way. =D

Granted Pretender Beasts might be slightly harder. Even then, there are concepts put out there even in the last 5 years that'd make them viable. Chainclaw's shell could convert into a totally different animal without him in it, ala Titanmaster Fangry.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Not all that is seen is truth. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Depends... make a new $40 price point for the wave and include a Marvel Legends or close articulated figure that's about the size of a current Voyager 7" ($20) and then have their inner robot included around a deluxe size ($20). Most of the shells (at least for the normal human characters and a few of the beasts) can be retooled from each other and the inner robots were all pretty basic sharing a similar design as well. The inner robots would transform into their weird vehicle modes and a "cube" type mode to fit inside their shell... most shells also included back packs and thus that part could be the part that opens (thus only sacrificing the ab crunch style articulation on the humanoids, but wouldn't really leave out any articulation I envision the beast shells having). Tooling new Pretenders would truly be no different than anything else. The only potential issue for the way I envision them coming back is that Hasbro would have to create a new price point for it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Gimmicks aren't sacrosanct.

For example: If Hasbro were to release new version of Rad, Rollout, Jackpot, Skyfall and Kick-Off, they would transform. Legacy gimmick be damned.

Pretenders could be in a similar boat. Their gimmick was ridiculous then, and it's ridiculous now.

• Like Like x 3
  17. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

Ebay:
    Well when Hasbro states their intentions on keeping a character's legacy gimmick in tact from now-on, their gimmicks are to be expected. The only thing to do after the fact is to guess how they'll do it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think the Actionmaster's gimmick was specifically that they don't transform - their gimmick was then-modern levels of standard articulation. Their inability to transform was probably a mere side-effect. That would make every Transformer nowadays essentially an Actionmaster by 1991's standards.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fangry is supposed to be a winged Werewolf.. So no on the Weirdwolf retool. We need Carnivac from him. Fangry from the Doublecross mold (the arms and wings are already part of the molds).

• Like Like x 2
  19. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’ve said since it was first shown that doublecross would make a good fangry remold

• Like Like x 2
  20. GoodxCross

GoodxCross Well-Known Member

honestly i'd kill for a sweet ass leader class action master optimus prime that transforms from the cab he used to ride in to a g1 prime complete with blue fore arms and thighs and orange weapons and eyes for maximum action master fun, transforming weapons platform included. i mean were almost definitely getting at least 2 more optimus' in the trilogy so actionmaster op is my vote for one and machine wars op (thunderclash retool obviously) for the other! please hastak?

• Like Like x 1