Rumor - MP-22 Ultra Magnus With Trailer Listing at BBTS (No Pics Yet)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by shiftypenguin, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'm actually still surprised that Hasbro's MP Soundwave wasn't lightened up and more 'toonified' like their MP-10 was. I was convinced that their SW would end up with off-white everywhere that was silver on Takara's version.

2. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Banned

News Credits:
    Why is UM never considered one of the Autobot Supreme Commanders. He was clearly the guy passed the leadership of the Autobots to and yet the lineage goes from Optimus > Rodimus > Fort Max > Ginrai > Star Saber > Dai Atlas > Star Convoy

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

It probably has something to do with the fact that he gets blown to bits in his first fight as Supreme Commander.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol 

5. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Banned

News Credits:
    Still. I mean, Daniel Bryan's title reign was only a few minutes and it's still in the record books:lol  UM needs some respect

6. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

well UM is a supreme leader in TFA...

7. crimsongrey06

crimsongrey06 Well-Known Member

It's more like professional sports when a coach gets fired and an asst coach gets promoted as interim head coach. That's how UM's reign is seen :) 

8. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I'd imagine it has something to with him not being able to deal with it during his short tenure as Autobot commander.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I guess Supreme Commander is more of a Japanese concept, but Ultra Magnus was marketed as one of the "New Leaders" in the UK along with Galvatron. The UK comic even did some time travel shenanigans to depict them leading their factions in "present day" for a short while.

Also, Optimus seems to have promoted him above, or at least to the same level as, Hot Rod in The Rebirth.

From the very start though, Ultra Magnus as a character has been used to subvert the concept of a "Supreme Commander." He doesn't want the job, appears to have no ability to use the Matrix, and then some young Turk gets leapfrogged over him.

10. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Ultra Magnus is like a mall cop... you are glad he's there when you need SOME level of authority, but when the proverbial S hits the fan, you call in the SWAT team (aka a Prime)...

Monty Python sums it up well... "Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you."

Amen, Dennis... Amen.

11. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus is as much a Supreme Commander as anyone from Fort Max onwards. None of them were matrix bearers, and all acquired the job through the old boss passing the reigns to them.

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Interesting

13. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

ultra magnus is a supreme commander the same way starscream was. lol. love the old soldier but he's a solid number 2...not a numero uno.

14. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Always prefer a solid number 2... a watery one is just uncomfy, but TOO solid and it's a clenchfest and a lot of straining....

Remember to eat your fiber, kiddies!!!!

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Technically, sure. I don't mean that the Matrix makes you a Commander, I mean that Ultra Magnus has always been a way to mess with those tropes rather than just straight up depict them.

16. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Oh I totally agree with you from the point of what they were doing with him from a narrative perspective.

On topic, I'll believe this Magnus is happening when BBTS can actually back up any of these releases they've been touting. Funny how now other retailer has been able to support their info (despite also putting up preorders to protect their market share)

I'm not saying I want Wheeljack, Bumblebee and Magnus to be nothing more that speculation, but really, that's all they are at the moment until Takara announce anything.

Maybe BBTS should wait for proof that their last two reveals will actually happen before taking orders for more vapour?

17. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

Any new pictures?

18. bonewire

bonewire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We are still waiting for Bumblebee and Wheeljack

19. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, Takara is letting them put up those preorders. Basically, it's like getting the exclusive scoop on some news. I talked to BBTS back when AE Grimlock was still a rumour and they said "..even if we were to have information that this was coming out, we would need it solicited directly to us in order to announce it and begin preorders" or something to that effect. In other words, someone in distribution let them know that Ultra Magnus is coming. In Grimlock's case, Tak gave the exclusive first reveal to Lunar Toy Store and not BBTS.

MP22 is so far in advance that it's silly if anyone thinks it can't change, but they're not just firing "he said, she said" shots in the dark. It's coming.

20. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hasbro leans towards toy accuracy.. not toon accuracy. mp grimlock is an example.. mp hot rod is a big example.. mp10 was done using the colors that were used in hasbro's most recent reissue of the G1 prime mold.. and clearly soundwave is an example with his yellow eyes. .. so i'm not sure why you'd be surprised about that.. and i'm not sure why anyone would expect* hasbro to be more toon accurate than takara.

something makes me think that if hasbro was in charge of the masterpiece line, the datsun's would all be the same mold. but luckily that's not the case.

the US and overseas markets are far different. there's more competition in japan.. that means takara has to try harder.. and to me, it seems like hasbro needs to appeal to more than just the adult collector. also, i'm not sure what hasbro's relationship is with retailers, but i'd think that that would play a part too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.