Rumor: Lego Optimus Prime coming in 2022?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Q Prime, Feb 12, 2022.

1. SunStomper

SunStomper Active Member

Running with it from the instruction manual is a pretty good idea for those of us who would have a hard time affording it. Also reducing the need for the set is that I'm sure there's also aspects of the build I'd want to do differently, the great thing about lego and Mega bloks.

2. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I support experimentation, but this set has a lot of uncommon parts in specific colors that are not likely to be available one-off. I have an extensive collection, but whenever I've tried to build an official set without buying it, I've ended up paying close to the retail price to source the required components. I do not think replicating this official build will be cheaper. A better option might be building one of the MOC designs published on the internet.

3. SunStomper

SunStomper Active Member

Thanks for pointing out MOC designs I hadn't seen those before. I have been squirreling away parts to DIY a few TF's, so I have most of the build already. Now I have to decide if I should go my own direction entirely or use the LEGO design as a base to work from... they did a great job with his cannon, but I think perhaps the hands and arms could use some revision.

4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    yeah, unlike Transformers increasing more than 100% in 15 years - 150% in the case of Deluxes!!! (while also getting smaller, hollower, less accessories, minimizing pins and screws, less paint, lower build quality in terms of tolerances and "solidness") Lego has had fairly minimal price increase in the decade or so I've been getting sets for my son. Sometimes the licensed sets are a bit more, but like @Deruji said, they've hung in that "around 10¢ a piece (8-12 being pretty common) range" with lines like Ninjago and Speed Champions being notably under that.

you can also almost always find sets no matter how popular they are unlike TFs these days that you often have to preorder if you have any hope of seeing them. I mean, I never even saw Pipes at B&M retail: PIPES!!! Who wants Pipes besides me!!?!?!?!!

5. SunStomper

SunStomper Active Member

I saw two Pipes and then the next week when I had the cash for one I had to take the one left with a blemish on the figure... aside from plenty of rabid TF fans there is a really lucrative scalper market going on, like the local businessman's toy shop around here who buys out all the Walmart and Target stock and then offers them for $10 more a few blocks down the road. Then he will super lowball you if you try and sell him anything. He's not getting a dime from me again I've had it with his game. It's fine to make money, but you don't have to snatch up everything!

6. Mugenlazlo

Mugenlazlo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I\'d go for some Lego Beast Wars characters.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Big Convoy XIII

Big Convoy XIII The One Man Army

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Oh yeah, you should be able to. There are plenty of sites & outlet stores that sell small sets with specific pieces, or even individual pieces. So you shouldn’t have a hard time finding what you need.

8. Ejector369

Ejector369 Well-Known Member

Whenever I get a brand new and improved desktop computer, I'm gonna design my own LEGO Beast Wars MOC's on BrickLink Studio!

FYI, my old PC went out of service for good because it got slower and slower before crashing.

9. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Agree. You might end up with, um, a white Prime aka Ultra Magnus...

10. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. Dcoleman44

Dcoleman44 Well-Known Member

Is this gonna be online only?

12. AcademyofDrX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, it will be in Lego retail stores starting June 1, and is rumored to be carried by other retailers in coming months. Target has devoted retail space to other 18+ branded Lego sets, so I suspect they'll have it later this summer, though I believe that's unconfirmed.

• Like Like x 2
  13. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Target more than likely will not have it. 18+ sets this large are usually lego store exclusive.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AcademyofDrX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm sorry, that's not correct, at least here in the States. Target offers many--if not most--18+ sets in the $150+ range online, and while most of their B&M 18+ offerings are $100 or less, they do have some on shelves at this price point. None of that means it will necessarily happen, and not all of this range are available to other retailers, but the price and size are not in themselves prohibitive.

Edit: 18+, $170+ sets available on Target shelves include set numbers 10279, 21327, 42125, 43179, 43197, 71374, 71395, and 75308. I'm using price as a stand-in for part count or box size for convenience. I don't think Optimus should be an outlier by either measure.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Dcoleman44

Dcoleman44 Well-Known Member

When it comes to figures in the $150 plus range Target will sell them more likely than Walmart. I've seen and brought Transformers Titans and Masterpieces at Target never at WM.

16. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The thing is that this is Lego. It'll sell regardless. There's just as many people who buy sets and never build the actual set, instead seeing the set as a box of X and Y colored bricks that will go perfectly with a creation they're working on or have planned.

17. TFfanSean

TFfanSean Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In regards to Optimus being available outside Lego stores and lego shop online only, it remains unconfirmed. Optimus is apart of their Creator Expert theme and I have seen sets of the same theme at Target like the Ecto-1 ($199), the friends and Seinfeld apartment sets ($150), the newer vespa ($99), the Porsche 911 ($150). My Walmart had the $200 Creator expert Boutique hotel set and that huge Mario Bros question block set. I think its very likely Optimus will show up outside lego stores and lego shop online, but like I said nothings been confirmed, and the price point won't be a deciding factor in wether or not it is or isn't.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    part of the reason we had so many leaks about Optimus was due to solicitations to non Lego owned retailers. It’s expected to be Lego D2C from June 1 to August 1 with no VIP early order window, and will be sold through additional us retailers like target, Amazon and Barnes and noble in august

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The easiest way to get him in the US fast, is 9pm PST May 31st, he will go live on the shop.lego.com website for $169.99, he should also qualify for free shipping. If you are into Lego, be sure to sign up for VIP first (it's free) and you will probably also be eligible for 1 or more free promo sets as well, which you can keep or resell. He should also be available at brick and mortar Lego stores and Legoland shops on June 1st as well

Personal thoughts from a long time Lego collector: Based on similar sets from the last few years like the Nintendo, Sega, Jurassic Park, Voltron, Back to the Future and Horizon Zero Dawn sets.
    I assume Optimus will be limited to 2 per person.

He will most likely sell out of the initial run within a day, maybe within minutes. I expect Lego to restock within a month of release, usually letting people know he is backordered and available to order with an expected stock date.

Due to the nature of the figure (Over $100, licensed, hard to find) Don't expect to find the set on sale, there is a chance Amazon will have a 20% off sometime if they have stock on hand, but it is not something I would bet on.

After the first restock I expect him to get easier to find till we get closer to Christmastime.

Production runs for Lego sets like this are usually 12-16 months. I expect when the first run sells out, anyone who makes effort to get one at MSRP in the next year should be able to get one.

Starting August 1st, other non Lego retailers should have him available as well, like Target, Barnes and Noble and Amazon.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 10