Rumor: Lego Optimus Prime coming in 2022?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Q Prime, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is what I think I’m going to do too. I’m going to try a few colour options. Maybe trans blue or yellow. I think this looks better than the tile. It gives it some texture.

• Like Like x 2
  2. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Outside of the blue stud sticking out slightly the shape wouldn’t be changed.

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey have you seen Kreo around? No? Because no one gave a shit. I'd talk about why Lego Minifigs are fantastic as part of The System but something tells me it's above your grade. :cool: 

• Like Like x 5
  4. Powerbomb

Powerbomb pERceptor NOT pREceptor!

You know, I kind of wish Lego had acquired the Optimus rubber heads from Kreo . Those were the only good thing about the Kreo sets.

I don't want to buy a couple Kreo sets, only to throw away/recycle most of the parts...

I just want those bits for alternate builds, since these are building blocks after all.

5. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Okay so here's some options with the Matrix. Below is the original one coming in the set
    1652683956504.jpg

And now below is what @octobotimus has described, a pretty good option
    1652683969903.jpg

But below is what I consider to be the best option. One thing to mention is that the rear dome pieces isn't available in this orange color so my digital build here isn't 100% doable, but the front half is
    1652683945661.jpg

There are plenty of neat tile options for the center blue piece. Have solid blue, transparent blue, or any of the below pics for some cool printed details
    1652684447488.jpg 1652684433628.jpg 1652684421883.jpg 1652684408034.jpg

If anyone wants to build the Matrix I'll be building but can't tell how from the pic, it'll be a part of the file for the trailer I'm building, and I'll drop a link to that once it's finished

Edit: here's a picture of the one that is buildable in real life with the color options. Rear dome piece is light gray

1652684660358.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  6. Big Convoy XIII

Big Convoy XIII The One Man Army

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, that could be. And I mean, it’s not a big deal. It is Lego after all, so finding the same clear piece but in blue from another set would be pretty easy to do. That, and since we’ll know the exact size & diameter of the Matrix, who’s to say we can’t just build a better one down the line. If anything, I’m just happy they managed to include the gimmick of having a removable matrix at all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hopefully there will be a way to buy that piece easily. This will be my only Lego set. I won’t be able to just find the piece lying around somewhere in my house.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    There are two main ways to buy individual parts: direct from Lego through Pick-a-Brick, or from a reseller aggregator like BrickLink. I vouch for both options. If buying exactly one part, you're likely to pay too much for shipping either way.

I want to build the matrix mockup because it doesn't look right to me, but I don't want to criticize it without seeing it hands-on.

9. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will be at Lego Land in July. Maybe they will have it?

10. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    It wouldn't be that. Lego pieces aren't produced in the same way as Transformers are, on a mold with multiple different pieces. So where on a regular Transformer, having one piece a different color would be an issue since an entirely new mold would be needed, there is no such issue with Legos. Since they produce vast numbers of the same pieces for multiple different sets, they could just tell their round-1x1-plate-mold machine "okay, make x-number of this in translucent blue, and then sort over to this area to be packed 1 each into these Optimus sets." Obviously that's not exactly how that works, but an educated guess, based on the fact that plenty of sets have one single piece in a single color, usually used for a specific detail

I'm honestly flabbergasted at this Matrix using a translucent orange piece, because it makes no sense to me. Lego are usually the best of the best when it comes to accurately recreating details

• Like Like x 4
  11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lego isn't gang-molded like that, but they do like to eliminate extraneous colours where possible, because it streamlines the build system. One single clear blue stud (well, two, since they'd give you a spare) would be a bit of an oddity in the parts inventory.

Pretty sure they settled on that particular piece to represent the Matrix because it's the only small orange dome-shaped piece that they're currently producing. Perhaps more visually accurate would be to use an solid orange dish with a clear blue stud on the end, but I think that's where the clearance issues come into play.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SunStomper

SunStomper Active Member

I have seen depictions of the G1 design, looks pretty cool but I (maybe unfairly) expected better... but it could be by release.

13. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The strange thing is they are able to print on that piece and didn't. They could have just used clear blue with orange matrix printing and we all would have been happy. I'm still buying him though

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    I really want to be excited, but...

>Robot only, no trailer

>$170 price tag

>No knee articulation

The last one is the real kicker for me. It was why I ignored Lego Voltron. Why does Lego have such a hang-up with giving these big, expensive sets knees? Surely it wouldn't drive up production costs that much.

It's still cool in a way and what we wanted with Kre-O, but dammit.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would, because Lego simply does not have a part in their inventory that allows for adequate knee stability at this scale, that can be built to their durability standards.

• Like Like x 2
  16. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The matrix clearly wasn't a priority for Lego, and given everything else in the package, I don't think it should have been. It looks fine in his chest, but I don't think it's going to get much attention during play or while displayed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you think $170 is a lot, it would probably be double that with the trailer. I’m glad they skipped it, personally.

• Like Like x 10
  18. HnH

HnH MPM Moron

News Credits:

Lego these days is expensive, transformers these days are expensive.....imho i can justify the 170 pricetag..... he'll be on my desk when in and built!!!!

19. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    It appears you cannot pull the matrix open? How on Cybertron are you suppose to light our darkness hour?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deruji

Deruji International Traditional 2D Animator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    It's not that sets are costing more just like that. Sets nowadays have more parts. The average is still around 10 Cents per piece when looking at the whole range of products.
    For example, LEGO isn't offering us X-Wings built only with 2x4 bricks and going 'Here, that's accurate'. They are putting in more details i.e. 'greebles' than before, with more accurate shapes, and that means more parts.

You can always wait for a sale or just download the instructions straight from the product page and build it.

• Like Like x 7