Rumor: Lego Optimus Prime coming in 2022?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Q Prime, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They’re Lego eyes. Designed to make it look like Lego. At least that’s how I interpret it. I imagine there will be options to have different eyes if that’s what you want. Someone will make a sticker or something.

2. Slyf5

Slyf5 Well-Known Member

Imagine being a Lego zealot
    And Kre-O did it better, the minifigs all of them are better than any Lego minifig ever made, the details paint articulation and design is amazing and they can transform, hell, they can even combine, they released combiners

3. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, there are definitely exceptions, which I should have been more clear about in the original post. I have all of the sequel trilogy X-wings, which include two sets with identical engineering and a third just a few years later that's almost exactly the same. In this context, it's easy to imagine Lego doing all three seekers, for just the reasons mentioned here. But characters who are represented not because of their history but because they're a popular repaint, like Nemesis and SG Prime, are not nearly as likely as they are in other licensed toys.

I don't know enough about Lego's production costs to go deep on this, but the obvious reason for so many repaints is that most of the expense goes into the molds, so it's low cost to make new figures with the same molds. That benefit really isn't present with Lego sets.
    It was a bit of a rant but it was not intended as a personal attack. I was using it as a jumping off point for my own take, so I'm sorry if it read that I was trying to invalidate yours.

4. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

What did Kreo do better? A complete teardown and rebuild was a horrible "transformation." That is a big interruption of play time just to change modes. Kreo bricks had too much clutch power so they were hard to take apart and the random hollow studs some parts had were annoying.

Some might argue the figs were better than Lego minifigs (which they were obviously trying to emulate), but that would be up to personal preference.

I used to be a Lego purist but I gave Kreo a chance and it failed miserably. I've also tried Mega Construx for MotU, and they are doing that right, but slowly. MC is actually close to Lego quality now, but Hasbro was right to abandon Kreo.

• Like Like x 7
  5. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

Amazing overall...no question about that.

However, I just can't get past that "flat face." I wish they could've done something like Voltron's that has more dimension to it (I know it isn't a fair comparison since Prime's head is much smaller).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Big Convoy XIII

Big Convoy XIII The One Man Army

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That’s true actually, given the construction, the matrix’s design has to be rather simplistic in nature. But regardless, I still dunno why they didn’t go with a clear blue piece for the center and instead went with the orange(?) one.. But who knows, perhaps they’ll fix that before the final release.

7. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I wonder if it has anything to do with there being no other clear blue pieces on the figure. Most of the translucent pieces are orange (the axe and cab lights). It may have been too problematic to include a single translucent blue piece when (almost) everything else is orange. I’m sure the actual reason isn’t as simple as that but it may be part of the reason.

• Like Like x 1
  8. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    They constantly throw in one off clear lego pieces so it more than likely isn’t that. Lego doesn’t have a problem including a bunch of color variations in 1 set like transformers cast in a mold since those colors and pieces are used plenty in other sets being made.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    Nah. That’s not how Lego works. Designers are actually encouraged to hide random, off-color bricks inside larger portions of builds. It’s a fun little Easter egg for them.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Ya, that’s true, they do that often with various pieces that will be hidden inside the final build. But like you said, they produce those pieces for other sets. I’m wondering if there’s another set in current production that would include that round clear piece in blue and if there isn’t, then it may not have been practical to make it solely for this set.

Either way, for me, it’s not a big deal, while it would have been nice if it was blue, it’ll work just as well, for me, in orange.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  11. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Did some digging around, that round piece in clear blue is currently being used in 2022 sets. So it’s around :D 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oniconvoy

News Credits:
    The orange part definitely seems correct to me. What you really need is a short blue Technic piece to slot into the center.

B5B3DAE7-7896-44EE-B341-B24EBF8062B4.jpeg DF724B07-69F3-428D-A67E-907F63978D64.png

• Like Like x 10
  13. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Well I guess that blows my theory out of the water. So ya maybe it’s more to do with @Oniconvoy ’s post above. The orange is just to mimic the matrix casing and not the blue glow of the matrix within.

• Like Like x 3
  14. AcademyofDrX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Slot in how? Brothers Brick shows the construction in detail, and I don't see how to modify it without reworking it entirely.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. SillyMcGilly

SillyMcGilly Well-Known Member

But they fall apart on their own lol

Also idk if you remember but... THEY DIDN'T TRANSFORM lol, they had to be taken apart, sometimes with mostly different parts in each mode.

• Like Like x 1
  16. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I mentioned it earlier but all you need to do is replace that round 2x2 plate with an orange one, and place a single blue stud in the middle. Would remain mostly the same to.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Oniconvoy

News Credits:
    Yeah, would require some minor reworking but seems doable.

18. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The hip disc piece on the Lego Buzz Lightyear Zurg figure is the same kind of dome as the orange piece used in the Matrix, and it has 5-color tamp printing on it. They could have done the Matrix piece in clear blue, then printed the orange matrix frame over it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Coming along nicely. Will hopefully be done by the time this set drops

1652579407996.jpg 1652579419376.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  20. AcademyofDrX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It should still fit but it will completely change the shape. I'm sure it will still read, but I don't think it'll be an improvement. That said, I often make incremental modifications to official sets to personalize them, and the Matrix doesn't look great because of size constraints to begin with, so it's all good.