Rumor: Disney to buy Hasbro

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by BenjaminXavier, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Same thing Fox and Sony is doing with Spider-man and Xmen films. Disney is patiently waiting until they slip up and the rights will revert back....

Save it...?

How about getting rid of it now as tribute to the realization that this deal will achieve a higher plane.

Yeah and Marvel studios had a deal with Paramount as well when Disney purchased them. Not sure how the distrubution is set up under Hasbro/Paramount but they'll probably just buy the rights back or work something out like what their doing with Avengers, Iromman3, Thor2, Cap 2, etc.

Paramount To End Relationship With Marvel In 2012: Disney Will Distribute 'Iron Man 3' and 'The Avengers' - Deadline.com
    Yeah, I'm aware but now they'll actually have "The Touch"!

2. Driskull98

Driskull98 Icon by @Bugbrainzart on Twitter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
  3. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
  4. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
  5. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
  6. CarafelliusMaximus

CarafelliusMaximus G1 Junkie

I'm very curious to know what this would mean for Transformers, if it was true. I know Star Wars there's intimate involvement. Disney is not known for playing nice with toy companies. For the PotC line, they had Zizzle for Dead Man's Chest and At World's End and the figures were moderate to decent. But they switched over to Jakks Pacific for On Stranger Tides, and while they had a large run of Pirates 4 merchandise lined up, Disney and Jakks had problems after wave 1 of the Pirates 4 line was released. In the end we saw two and a half waves of figures and nothing worth getting.

If Hasbro is not in talks to be purchased and it does remain its own entity, the Star Wars line could be in trouble. If Disney does the same thing it did with Pirates to Star Wars, Hasbro could lose rights to it and we could end up with Mattel doing Star Wars figures for a time.

However, if Hasbro is in talks to sell to Disney, Star Wars would in the end probably benefit. I would hope Hasbro would be smart enough to ensure the safety of its design teams on all franchises. Let's face it, in terms of quality action figures in the market today, Hasbro has the corner on anything worth buying. In terms of articulation, scale, detail and affordability, no one else comes close.

But here's the real rub, since Star Wars and Marvel are the chief ones to benefit, what about all the other neutral parties who aren't affected like Transformers, G.I. Joe and My Little Pony? What would a take over by Disney mean for these franchises? That's what we all want to know, I think. And we're all afraid that Disney will start chopping and cutting and the odds are that is partly true. I don't think Transformers is in immediate danger, it's a major player. G.I. Joe has a new movie coming out and could be profitable if its better than the first. MLP is widely popular amongst both guys and girls and the odds are it won't go anywhere either. As far as TV programming there I can see some changes, but since these is just rumor, we're all going to have to wait until the other shoe drops to know for sure weather or not there's a buy out.

And even if there is a buy out, we won't know for some months after it occurs weather or not things will be changed for the good or bad. All it is now is a waiting game.

7. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

8. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope it's true. Maybe they afford to have more characters in the Prime show.

9. Raptarrin

Raptarrin Proud Decepticon

^THIS^!!

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    How I feel about trying to tell people in this thread it's only a rumour, and a damned weak one at that:

[​IMG]

11. RamWorkz

RamWorkz Wave o' Sound

discovery communications owns half of the hub, so hopefully if this does happen it will be ok.

12. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    I kind of doubt there'll be a Prime show to have more characters in if this happens.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Eagerly awaits the arrival of "CARS" character TF's....

14. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why?

15. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

...Well, at least then I could display one of my Megatron's killing Mater while a group of Vehicons cheers him on.

16. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

Nooooooo!!!! God please let this be a lie!!

17. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    The Hub would probably be no more. There may be a complete restructuring in Hasbro, and they may decide to go somewhere else with the property.

18. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I don't like it that one Company Owns everything from my childhood.

But I need to know more with how Marvel operates with Disney as well as the details of Lucas Film; If this rumor is true what will this do for Hasbro, there Toy quality and the Hub? How would Disney handle the Fandom of Hasbro's Properties, and preserve there quality? I can see all TF and MLPFIM related YouTube videos disappearing.

19. ProwlPrime

ProwlPrime Active Member

Ebay:
    And if this happens, I think I might be done with transformers. Loved 'em my whole life, but something about this.....I just can't accept this if it eventually happens. Just can't.

20. GAUGE

GAUGE Professional Digital Artist

News Credits:
    Took a tour of Disney studios.

Saw this behind the building.

[​IMG]

Went to ask an exec. what was up.

Walked into the wrong room and saw...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.