Rubber tires or no rubber tires on MP scale?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by plastic therapy, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Do you prefer rubber tires on an MP scale Transformer?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think my only real problem with plastic tires is the molded ridge most of them have in the middle. Looks okay from the side, but head on it looks like the vehicle's floating on ice skates.

2. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

The feel of rubber is nice, but in 30-40 yrs I dont want to be worrying about it or possible replacements. Plastic, tho cheaper is a safer bet for the long term.

The option would be ideal, but Im perfectly satisfied with plastic wheels.

3. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Again guys. It's almost 2017. 30 year old products do not and should not represent the technology that can and should be employed today.

My first Motorolla Star Tack cellphone had a crappy screen that didn't show Youtube videos. For that reason I am only ever going to use an old wall mounted rotary telephone because at least I know it will work.

^^^ if that sounds dumb to you, consider how badly I want to stab my eyes out with a fork reading the arguments for cheap plastic hollow toy tires being used on premium collectibles in the 21st century.

There's also this neat stuff called rubber and vinyl protectant. Amazing but true. It's actually on the market and it costs just a few dollars...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  4. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if its good rubber why spend more money to "protect" it? if its that good it will last a few 100 years without extra protection.

ppl are already complaining that MP's are to expensive so just let takara raise the price with 10 bucks for rubber tires.

10 for mp
    5 for extra protection

15 total that i think most ppl dont want to spend

maybe they should give you a "free" can of protection for rubber tires (price goes up with 2 bucks) but its free

5. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

I don't really care what other people's preference is but I know Takara and Hasbro are giving us plastic tires to save money, not cause they care about the toys in 30 years

• Like Like x 2
  6. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Lol. Lately I just buy 3P stuff anyways. With actual tires, better details, nicer box art even. AND all the while being far less of a hit to the wallet.
    I wonder how much the exodus of MP buyers going 3P is affecting what people have to pay lately for stuff with cheap hollow plastic tires?
    I feel like the worse of a product MP gives for the value, the more the people who keep enabling them will have to pay over time.
    But, I don't actually mind people glorifying every poor decision TT makes, because it creates an environment where 3P has a ripe opportunity to satisfy me.

But to your 15 dollar price increase forecast, I say this- I'd prefer actual tires and rims over 4 faces and 3 chests. Maybe even smaller boxes so they can fit more on a pallet... point here is that the cost of production isn't so vast between plastic tires and actual tires that they would need to charge more than they already rape everyone with to turn a healthy profit.

It's just greed.

7. Grimboots

Grimboots Well-Known Member

I once went through 3 TV's in couple of years, different makes and models of them , had to return a blu-ray movie multiple times because the copies I'd been sent were flawed. had a brand new book with flawless cover but with slashed insides. all of this was covered & I got refund and replacements

I own a Transformers MP figure on a shelf behind me, rubber tyres , totally mint

I've held damaged MP tyres of a friends model & did a repair job on them

21st Century does not mean things will not break down. do I go through life worried the sky will fall , of course not

but if you spend several hundred dollars on a premium collectable you expect it to be high quality, if it's broken out the box your covered but a year or so later tough luck your on your own, is there an official MP spare part order form

do I prefer Rubber Tyres -YES, is there a genuine concern over how long they'll last - YES

OH on a side note I did a quick google for "rubber and vinyl protectant" so far all the reviews are about cleaning & protection from staining. ?

8. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Unless there are replacements somewhere, I don't want tires to crack and then force me to buy the figure again just for a new tire that might end up cracking too.

9. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

OH on a side note I did a quick google for "rubber and vinyl protectant" so far all the reviews are about cleaning & protection from staining. ?

Weird. Maybe your internet is broken. Because when I google it, I get over 300 product reviews for everything from tire restorative compounds to boat trim protectant.

I think you may be embellishing a wee bit

10. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I think its hilarious that anything that is contrary to your opinion or your view of things gets a reply that is either "you're doing it wrong" or "your opinion is wrong" or "I don't believe you."

• Like Like x 1
  11. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Well, I am here presenting my opinion, not someone elses.
    Google it yourself man, Prove me wrong.

I have this opinion and have brought it to the forums because it's been something I have
    put a decent amount of thought and consideration into. If someone presents something
    I disagree with, I think it's quite reasonable to express that and I believe I have done so
    in a well thought out way with quite valid/logical reasoning.

It is a fact that a quick google search of "rubber and vinyl protectant" yields over
    277,000 results.

12. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    'Rubber protecting' yields a lot more interesting results.

• Like Like x 2
  13. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Most my old toy cars have lost a tire or two...

14. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

You can't prove an opinion "right" or "wrong." Using rubber tires is not a correct or incorrect choice- its just a choice. Folks have given lots or reasons for liking/not liking rubber tires but for some odd reason you come off in a condescending manner towards folks who dislike rubber tires. Which I find really odd because I thought the purpose of this thread was to share opinions.

Its like asking, "Do you like the current Headmaster gimmick?" And then telling folks they're wrong for being unhappy with it.

15. Tenebre

Tenebre Horrorcon

I see the majority of voters prefer rubber tires. I guess I'm weird, because I prefer plastic tires. My MP bots are displayed in bot mode anyway, where most of them you can't see the tires anyway, so what difference do rubber tires make?

High-end model cars, absolutely I can see the preference for rubber tires. Takara takes great pains to get licensing for the car-bots, but these are still fantasy versions of the real-life cars, not models. Ironhide and Ratchet don't have the side mirrors and the Nissan logo on the front, for instance.

16. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I'm not arguing that people who prefer cheap hollow plastic tires are wrong for liking them. If they like them, that's great.
    I'm arguing that there's no valid reason the toy manufacturers can't provide a decent tire.
    As far as my comments to people in the thread, they are all replies to their replies.
    Most of which are me banging my head against the wall because of comments that have no regard for the materials companies have at their disposal to make a fine product from.

17. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

What baffles me here with the responses, is that it's a completely viable option to use materials that will not crack or split, yet even with that presented, people still want cheap toy style tires on premium collectibles.

Perhaps I come off as a dick because I believe that the people who have the inability to see that need me to try to help them understand.

I cannot comprehend how anyone would want a cheap part on a premium product. It just doesn't compute. And because people vote with their wallets, I see this as a quality problem that won't improve anytime soon.

Perhaps I am the squeaky wheel here, but at least I'm advicating for a better product for everyone. Not just for the minority who actually seem to like these odd hollow tires that don't even roll on a smooth surface half the time.

Remember- this topic concerns MASTERPIECES, not cheap toys....

18. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I don't care, MP or otherwise about rubber or plastic tires... but I do recognize and am personally familiar with how touch-and-go the whole tire splitting thing is. Honestly it's just another needless premium I think gets overblown for it's "Collector Value", which after things like die-cast with it's unnecessary heft and the ever gaudy application of chrome and how both things tend to have flaky paint issues, I just don't see these things holding up under the guise of "Collector Value".

19. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OP, I don't think anyone here is giving an absolute 'no' to rubber wheels. I can't imagine anyone would object to its use on the condition that these companies are able to source and competently implement durable and long-lasting rubber. Subjectively, rubber does bestow a premium quality, just like the weight of die-cast, or a glossy painted finish, but currently all of these things bear the risks of wear and breakage, and that's clearly been many people's experience.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like rubber tires a lot more.