ROTF - Why the Hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ArcanielRE3, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like TLK.
    Atleast ROTF had fun with it. TLK looked like a chore for everyone involved except Hopkins who admits he didn't know what the hell the script was about but he at least had fun.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

it had more "bay humor" which many are not fond of. i guess overall it has less of what little people enjoyed in bayformers and and much more of what they didn't like

• Like Like x 3
  3. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Guys I just had SEX!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ArcanielRE3

ArcanielRE3 Honorary Autobot

No, they shouldn't have. Considering just how well-recieved the 2007 film was when it came out, the producers and studio would've been crazy to have gotten rid of Bay. Whether you want to believe it or not, Bay's approach seemed to have been working for audiences at the time.

I 100% get this. I can just imagine how painful it must've been to be a Transformers fan back in the late 2000's, and to see the franchise be presented in such a weird, raunchy, overly-violent and straight-up innacurate way on the big screen not just once, but twice.

Of course, I wasn't a big Transformers fan until recently and never saw any of the movies (save for 2007) growing up, so I don't have that inherent disdain towards the Bay films that I'm sure many other fans do. They're merely another one of the many iterations of the brand in my eyes, as a newbie fan. So, I can judge them as merely blockbuster schlock and as that, I feel they're decent enough so far.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Because it cost Transformers: Animated its fourth season.

6. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    That was it for me, the crude humor and annoying characters.
    When I saw the opening scene I was like, this is awesome! But then we got the scene with the humping dog's and it was downhill from there.
    However, I liked it more every time I've watched it since. I think I was just shocked by the humor scenes the first time. When I knew they were going to be in it, they weren't a surprise and I enjoyed the rest of the movie much more. Something similar happened with the first movie where I couldn't follow the action well the first time but I could the next times I watched it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I quite enjoy Revenge of the Fallen. It's my third favorite of the five Bay films, but if I just want to randomly watch a Transformers movie I'll watch ROTF most times. TF1 has the slow build up and DOTM tends to have its slow moments as well. If the writers' strike didn't happen and Bay toned down the dumb stuff I think this would've been my favorite. Also, I like adventure films (specifically traveling places to find something) and I think it accomplished that fairly well.
    My exact thoughts.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only things I did not like about it was the Twins, Humor and what happened to Devastator.

• Like Like x 2
  9. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

Actually you could apply most of those to all the Bay movies LOL. Hammy Hopkins was one of the highlights for me in TLK. I do like it slightly better than ROTF but that's not really setting the bar high.

10. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

The writing.
    If the characters were more likable, if the jokes weren't childish, and if I could take the Transformers seriously the movie would be far better.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Because ROTF cranked them up to eleven.

Plus it's the "having to be told twice" rule. TF07 did it and it wasn't funny, and fans/critics reacted negatively. You'd think they'd never do it again, but instead did it even more.

But it had Jetfire, so it wasn't all bad.

• Like Like x 3
  12. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There will only be one.

There've been a decade of critique on this film explaining why it's a technically bad movie. You said it yourself that you've heard these complaints before. I feel that most people who "don't get the hate" just decide to only see things their way. I like a lot of bad movies too, but I can at least see where others are coming from, especially after 10 years.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ArcanielRE3

I was mainly asking why ROTF sucked from the perspective of someone who is a fan of the Bay films.

I think it goes without saying that it is a technically terrible movie. I'm guessing the same goes for most, if not all of the Micheal Bay-directed Transformers films.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, I enjoy those types of movies too. Like Aquaman...
    I don't think a movie can be technically terrible, unless there are some set rules and stipulations. Otherwise I'd say it's just a matter of opinion from person to person.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Birdemic - Shock and Awe.

If you think that film isnt a complete display of technical failure when it comes to movie making, then you are the kind of customer movie companies love to suck the money out of wallets from, because you don't have standards to hold movies to and will willingly just throw money at movies for being movies with no measure of quality.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    With the exception of the college scenes, Simmons' ass, and other perverted humor, I still find it entertaining and the one that I can have the most fun with whether I'm genuinely enjoying myself or making fun of the movie for a lot of its stupid moments.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    my only issues with RotF are that it is too long and that as with most of the movies it focus too much on annoying humans like leo and the military .

I do enjoy the movie and most of the character designs too . I even like mudflap and skids .

• Like Like x 2
  18. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There will only be one.

Then what's your question? Why do people not like a technically bad film?

19. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Gone for some milk

News Credits:
    I thought it was okay. Definitely had potential to be better. But for what it is, it’s alright imo:) 
    (It gave us possibly the best TF fight scene too)
    upload_2019-7-15_8-50-59.gif

• Like Like x 3
  20. ArcanielRE3

I was specifically asking fans of the Bay films, not so much your average film-critic or even your average Transformers fan. Despite being not very good, these films still have their devoted fans and defenders.

However, those people don't seem to defend Fallen as much as the others. I wanted to know why this was the case, from mostly their perspective.

• Like Like x 1