RotF vs DotM vs AoE

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by optimus pryme, Nov 5, 2014.

1. optimus pryme

optimus pryme Well-Known Member

Which sequel did you like best? For me it's AoE. The previous two had some cool scenes but were essentially the same story, just different villains and proportions. Imo AoE feels the most 'g1'.

2. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

Aoe was the best sequel but to me Dotm felt G1 while Aoe felt like Animated lil bit of Prime.

3. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    This is a bit like trying to choose my favourite STD, but I guess AOE. ROTF was fun at the cinema, but I have failed to make it all the way through it a second time. DOTM was a bit better, but that's like saying al qaeda are a bit better than ISIS. I made it through AOE twice without getting bored. 3rd time lucky?

4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Age of Extinction was definitely the best of the three, maybe even the whole series.

It just feels Transformers to me, even more the TF07.

I think it's Optimus Prime's character does it for me. So based.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's weird, because for me, AoE was by far the worst, most phoned-in, and most disjointed, structurally. It was also horribly cynical. Characters have died in the movies before, but the way they did Ratchet's death put me in a bad mood for the rest of the movie.

RotF is a heavily flawed movie, but I'd put it miles above AoE.

6. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I thought both DotM and AoE were horrible sequels. I'm actually one of those that really liked RotF. Shia was annoying as hell, but it wasn't as depressing and as SouthtownKid said, wasn't cynical like DotM and AoE were.

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

AOE wasn't cynical. Do either of you even know what that word means?

Boo hoo, Ratchet died. He needed to. It played in great to Prime's character arc later on.

How can any Transformers fan not love this movie? It's the truest to it's origin!

8. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    AOE, structurally DOTM might have been better, but AOE was just much more entertaining for a TFan.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Blah blah blah, no it's not.

Yeah, I know what cynical means. Do you? Cynical is the world they created where the US government hunts and murders the characters who have fought and bled protecting them. Murders them for PROFIT. That is cynical. Look it up.

And you don't know jack about story or character if you think fridging Ratchet to create motivation for Optimus is anything worth celebrating. Writing does not get any lazier than that.

10. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Kick rocks.

AOE Optimus Prime is arguably one of the best iterations of the character to date and Ratchet did shit for three movies.

It's better they used him as a plot device rather than just have him waste space.

11. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    -RoTF is better then AOE

Well, I can't take this fandom seriously anymore.

12. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

As much as AOE improved in a lot of aspects from the past films, it just felt like it didn't know what it was doing, and didn't know where to go; rushed is the best word to describe AOE of being, as it really felt like the film needed at least 2-3 months of additional work. DOTM and ROTF both feel significantly more competent and confident films than AOE, and actually had plots with clear goals, directives, and endings. Sure, AOE did a shit ton more with the characters of the bots themselves, but it sure as hell didn't have any real focus anywhere else.

I'm still trying to figure out what the actual plot and plan for AOE was, as you had Lockdown acting as the "main" villain, but at the same time you had Galvatron trying to take over Hong Kong, and then the Dinobots are introduced; and on top of all that, you had this seemingly major plot point of the Autobots being hunted by the very species they were sworn to protect, that really went nowhere in the end once shit started to go down.

I could say a shit ton more, but I'll end with this: ROTF and DOTM both had natural story arcs, as many holes and senseless shit they both had in those arcs, whereas AOE had a jagged edge that went in every direction but straight forward.

13. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Well I like all three. DOTM and AOE are pretty close together as a tie.

14. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

Actually I agree with Lovecraft.

(Not about you not knowing what cynical means, but Ratchet). Writers will kill characters off to advance the plot, in any show or film. It pissed you off because it was supposed to. It was a terrible thing to do: killing one who had fought with you. It represented Cemetary Wind killing the other Autobots. Prime was greatly affected by Ratchet's death. Ratchet was one of Prime's oldest friends. The audience was also affected because we've all known and loved Ratchet since 2007. It was for a reason, just not a reason you like.

It was a smart move on the writer's part (even though I am not a Kruger fan).

15. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Easily Revenge of the Fallen.

Over five years later and I still can't believe / understand the amount of unwarranted hate this movie gets.

From beginning to end it's such a blast and so much fun! The action is great (especially that forest fight, and the Shanghai opening is amazing). It really feels the most "G1" to me in that it's just so ridiculous and heavy on action and again, just fun. And it has awesome new characters like Sideswipe, Jetfire, Ravage, the Twins, Wheelie, and of course Devastator.

Has probably the weakest soundtrack though. Not bad, of course, but the weakest of all four movies.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No, it was because it made me not care about the world of the movie.

Again, I am not against them killing characters. They killed Ironhide in DotM and I was perfectly fine with it. I didn't bat an eye when Jazz or Que died. You're not getting the difference.

And yeah, a character being killed off just to motivate the lead character happens a LOT in movies and television. It's called hack work. When it's a female character, it's called Women In Refrigerators. When it's a male character, it's just lazy hack writing. And yeah, it was for a reason; it was just a lazy, hacky, completely cliched reason.

And believe me that for someone who defends the Bay movies as much as I end up doing, I am not hating just to hate.

17. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

Its not hack work man. Watch the Walking Dead and tell me that its hack work.

18. celticgaurdian

celticgaurdian Clean-up Crew

Honestly, I like ROTF the best, mostly because it was the most similar to the first one. It just had that light-heartedness the first movie had, and didn't take itself too seriously

Not that I don't like DOTM or AOE, because I do. Also don't make the mistake of thinking that I think ROTF is good. Just because I like a movie, doesn't mean I think it's good

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Your problem is that you can't perceive the difference in what is happening there compared to here. Again, it's not the death that's the problem.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hmmmm... I think I liked parts of AOE more than DOTM, but I think DOTM I liked the most. I want to say AOE, it has the best aspects like more interesting robots, but it also has the worst aspects like pacing.