ROTF Hate

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, May 31, 2009.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    now i love the new line, even though i dont have many figures, so i figured id ask before i go and buy them all-any not worth picking up? the only one im really hesitant about is Sideways, so im curious to see if anyone hates him or others

please, only give opinions on ones you actually own, ok? id hate to hear someone say Scrapper and Hightower are horrendous or something.

2. OptimistPrime

OptimistPrime Certified Optimist

News Credits:
    I'm afraid I can't help you much. I only pick up figures for two reasons:

1. I like the figure
    2. I'm going to repaint the figure, possibly to sell

I picked up Sideswipe for reason #1, and Soundwave for reason #2. Sideswipe kicks ass, despite some of the QC issues mine has. Soundwave I would be disappointed with if I wasn't planning on repainting and selling him. Not really sure what it is other than an overall disappointment with the figure. It's like the figure as a whole doesn't do much for me.

I haven't picked up Sidways, and haven't made up my mind whether I will or not. I'd kind of like to hold him and see what he's like first in robot mode - like a try before you buy. Oh well.

The only other figure I plan on picking up is The Fallen and Ransack at some point. Maybe a Starscream . . . maybe. The human alliance figures are promising and I will probably pick up a majority of them, but I need to see more pics of all of them to better help make mind up.

I'm pretty picky with the movie line figures.

3. Bat Trap

Bat Trap Makes the Pie Higher

Fair enough.

I'll start with my only real disappointment, Soundwave. His robot mode is kinda neat, but the "2" alt modes he has are pretty bad. He turns into the most ridiculous satellite ever, and then you move 2 parts and he becomes a "spaceship." This is worse than it sounds because the packaging claims he is a triple changer, but if this is what they're gonna try and pass on us as a TC, then I'm really sad. They should just make more versions of Blitzwing.

My others:

Breakaway: I really like the design on the figure. The transformation was fun and the figure has a nice feel. My only real issue is the color scheme, which really takes away from the figure. In the end, he feels mediocre, but I don't regret getting him.

Starscream: A big improvement over the first movie toy, but he feels a little more boxy than I'd like. Also, the fact that he doesn't have joints in his palms causes him to have claws poking out in alt mode. Issues aside, worth getting, especially for fans of the character.

Sideswipe: I'm sure you've seen about his torso and posing issues, but I still feel like he's a good figure. Better than Jazz from the first movie, and he holds together fairly well in both molds. Worth getting.

Depthcharge: Probably my favorite atm. I hadn't planned on getting any of the Scouts initially, but I saw him in the store and had to buy him. I love the boat bots! A fun figure, the high detail, simple transformation, and cartoonish proportions make him worth more than I paid. Don't go searching for him, but if you find him and have a little extra cash, make sure to pick him up.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I don't like Sideways' feet. They're so tiny so it's hard to keep him balanced.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have purchased every single new mold from the release.

I love 99% of them

But I do have issues with some of them

I dont like wheelie or chromia. They both feel like floppy messes. My Chromia splits open at random and wheelie just feels like I didn't finish transforming him yet. I can deal with unique robot modes but noth of these needed more pegs to make them feel more solid in bot mode

Demolishor's arms suck ass. and the guy is all arms and treads. So he is 50% suck

Rampage is a pain to transform and his gimmick on mine is out of alignment so he wont stand right

I love Ransack but mine falls apart if you touch it, especially the arms.

6. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Well, whether you like the ROTF toys really hinges on whether you like MOVIES toys or not.

For someone who HATED the first movie toys? You will hate these toys, because they're even MORE 'movie' than the first set.

That aside, there's a lot to love about this line, and, as with any line, a few hiccups, or bots that are just plain hard to love. I'm probably going to cherry pick this line to take what I like, and leave the rest.

Sideswipe is pure distilled awesome..

Sideways is great IF you can dig the whole movie aesthetic, and bug-like Decepticons. (I transform him so that the wheels on his legs as heels, which makes him more stable, and not so tiny-footed, but exaggerates the whole bug-look)

The scouts are pretty nifty. With the exception of Knockout (Heh... Garcee...) they're all WILDLY out of scale, but that's scouts for you.

Optimus is... well, they basically appear to have gone in with the intention of making the most accurate robot and vehicle modes possible. This has resulted in an exceedingly complex transformation, with no Automorph to help you out, no shortcuts... just a lot of plastic origami. What you GET is a figure that is superior to the original movie Prime in almost every way... robot mode is much more accurate in proportions and positioning of all his kibble, vehicle mode is VERY clean, poseability is excellent. I just wish he had articulated hands like the first release.

Megatron looks like a vast improvement over his original version (Leader class). That said, he's still likely not going on my shelf until he hits clearance.

Starscream is basically a 100% improvement over his original version. That said... part of me still wants to wait for a premium version.

Bumblebee is... well, he's not fundamentally different from the first movie version, except he's missing a hand, and there's a superior version coming in the future so... why would you get him?

No real opinion on the other toys yet.

7. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    -Sideways is sort of disappointing, in that the tiny feet and huge back kibble make it hard to pose him correctly. The fix is to swing his leg panels down to make 'heels', so I guess that saves it.
    -Sideswipe is excellent, but a total pain to pose. It's a balancing act, but is you use the blades to help (or another TF on the shelf) he's fine.
    -Soundwaves alt modes are odd, and the figure is way too small. Otherwise, I really like him.
    -The Fallen is excellent, aside from detachable joints in the ankle and thigh. The ankles on mine keep popping off, so I'll have to give it the nail polish treatment.
    -Starscream is so much better than the first version it isn't even a comparison. No complaints there.
    -Leader Prime is truly a masterpiece, if you don't throw it against a wall trying to transform it for the first time. The chest panels gave me a headache until I figured out that the bottom part detaches.
    -Ransack, Dead End, Rollbar and Dirt Bodd are all awesome. No complaints.
    -Legends Prime, Jetfire, Megatron and Bumblebee are excellent, too. Jetfire being the best of the four, with a really good leg gimmick and nice posability.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    -Leader Prime is awesome. I do have one small complaint though: the flip out swords really hamper arm articulation, unless you flip them out (I'd rather pose him without the swords). Also the red arm panels are in the way of the blue shoulder panels sometimes..but overall, AWESOME figure.

-Demolishor: I bought this one for his uniqueness and because he looked so awesome in the trailers. He's actually not that good. He's very small (even for a voyager), and the robot mode has some bad articulation. His threads don't work, and in robot mode, they become wheels that..don't really work so great either. Arm articulation is pretty bad. I did find he's not that hard to stand up.

-Starscream: In my opinion he isn't as much of an improvement over the first movie version as I thought. Raptor mode is near perfect, except for the fact that his claws stick out. Robot mode is pretty sweet, but he's smaller and even thinner than movie1 Scream. Mechalive works good though, head is more accurate, and he has hands this time. Definitely not a bad figure, really worth picking up, but especially compared to movie1 Deep Space Starscream there seems to be something lacking. He DOES look much cooler when posed!
    -Bumblebee: still as awesome as first movie version, better head sculpt. Mine is too sturdy so it doesn't go back into vehicle mode, but ah well. Very decent.
    -Soundwave: Very small, and alt modes are uninteresting. Robot mode is filled with kibble that goes everywhere. Good articulation though (although his chest seems to flop up and down too much - part of his transformation).

Overall I'm not disappointed so far. It may sound I am negatvie but I actually like these figures alot.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Sideways is a solid figure. Worth the money...mostly. The problem with it is that most sideways I have been seeing have paint problems that bug me.

Its a lot of scratches and dings right in the box. Sideways seems more prone to it then sideswipe unbelieveably. I did find one over dozens of sideways I felt had good paint: so I bought that.

Hopefully the dead end repaint/retool and portential other repaints later on won't have as much weird damage.

10. JetStreaker

JetStreaker Average Joe

While I don't think I've picked up any so far that I'd consider taking back, there are a couple figures that did not meet expectations IMHO.

Rampage - This is one I was thrilled to find, however the chest/stack section of the robot is a floppy mess during transformation and into vehicle mode. There's no great way of holding it in place and it usually works its way out.

Chromia - I dig the concept, but execution fails on this one.. (at least in the one I got). Chest constantly pulls apart, and while the blaster arm is pure win, the size of it leaves the figure off balance and hampers posing.

Starscream - Would've been the perfect movie representation if they would have allowed the hands to fold like originally designed. I would have gladly paid a couple more bucks for it. At least let the wrists turn 180 or allow the elbows bend the other way.

Anyway, I can respect the need to keeps costs down, but these are the main gripes of the line for me so far.

-Jet

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it is kinda hit or miss on a lot:

Ironhide - SAME exact figure as before but with different weapons. I thought it was a newer mold. I feel kinda gyped.

Starscream - I like it. He has hands now.

Bumblebee - Falls apart and Mine won't go flush into car mode. I hate it.

Soundwave - Tiny and looks like a mess.

Sideways - Nice in both modes. a great figure

Sideswipe - Same as with Sideways. excellent figure

Rampage - nice vehicle, but very weird robot modes

Demolisher - nice vehicle, but awkward robot mode.

Scouts - Almsot all of them have kicked ass (dead end is the worst of them). Ransack is perfection.

Legends - All are very nice and work well.

Knock out - Kinda stupid. Looks like a preschool toy given more complex and and older age range.

Leaders Prime and Megs - Giant perfection.

12. RodimusMark

RodimusMark Infamous Fighter of Foo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do agree with most everyone, Soundwave stays in Robot Mode, the other modes are fairly dissapointing.

Sideways is a great figure, as someone mentioned, the tiny feet problem is easily solved by moving the leg panels down to be used as heels. He is definately in my opinion what the Barricade toy should have been back in the first movie line.

I'd also like to say that Skids is a great figure as well, Transformation can be scary though, there is a part where it feels like you are breaking the top of the car in half, you have to put a lot of force into it. but robot mode and vehicle mode are both a lot of fun.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've only really got Sideswipe, Sideways and Soundwave of the main releases at the moment, but others have pretty much covered what I'd say about them.

I do have some of the Legends too and they're quite nice. The new Optimus Legends is a massive improvement over the one for the previous film (although I was bummed to find the paint on his roof was smeared). Jetfire is interesting and rather complicated for such a small figure, and Springer is fun, although I do wish he had a bit more range of limb movement. Weakest ROTF Legends for me so far is Bumblebee. There's no great complexity to him. His arm transformation works nicely as an alternative to the usual 'pull out sides' but apart from that he's the same old 'pull down legs and flip down chest' that the other Legend of him was. May as well be a Micromaster for all that non-creativity.

14. Spyro

Spyro Banned

Movie Preview Bumblebee: Pretty good. My only gripe is that his automorph is stiff. Kinda tough to get him in vehicle mode.

Movie Preview Soundwave: Not quite what I expected. The sattelite mode looks more like a jet, and his jet mode looks more like a sattelite. WTF?!? Also, he's smaller than I would've expected. Although I don't own a single scout class fiugre, I'd say Soundwave is about as tall as one. Nonetheless, he's still awesome.

Leader Optimus Prime: This figure is simply epic. He's so awesome and so accurate that it should be against the law. Of course, he isn;t without flaws. His swords can affect arm articulation, he has absolutely no automorph, and no moveable fingers. Also, his transformation sequence is 100% INSANE. It's quite movie accurate, but extremely crazy. Overall, I love this figure. You should definately buy it.

15. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    i love my sidways. I use the panels as heels, or you could go chicken legged and use the wheels as heels, but i prefer the other way. Great modes and transformation> highly recommend.
    Sideswipe: Both modes are awesome, does have a little trouble posing, BUT with the small silver bits as toes and the big one as a heel, he stands nicely and wont fall over even if i bang the table.
    Starscream: wonderful in both modes, just wish the leg joints were tighter b/c i dont like his chicken legged, he is to short.
    Breakaway: only bad thing is the blue and green plastic, makes him look like hes colored with toothpaste or mints.
    rampage: odd but good. not poseable but kinda fun.

Leader Prime: ties for best TF ever with alternity convoy. So fun, if you know how to Tf him right ( chest panels for example)

So far no regrets. i do have rollbar and hes ok.

16. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I got Starscream & Soundwave atm. Got more Starscreams, 2 Sideways & 1 Breakaway coming up by mail.

I guess you can see I already liked Sideways from all the previews...

17. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I have 6 ROTF figures so far, and the only one I don't like is breakaway. I will go over which characters I have and let you know how I feel about them.

Deluxe Sidewipe...He is awesome! Buy him! He is quite a pain to pose, but it is definately possible. I like to pose him as if he is sliding to a stop, or skating.

Deluxe Sideways...I personally think Sideways is awesome. He does have tiny feet n the front, but the correct way to transform his legs make the rear wheels of the car his heels. Also, people standing him with his legs like a normal human are missing the point. His legs are supposed to be backwards like an insect or bird. I don't know about other people, but I can get him in some really awesome action stances as if he were moving, sort of like Sideswipe...Which is fitting because they are usually stood together as if they were fighting.

Deluxe Chromia...She is cool, kind of a disappointment that she cannot stand without her platform. As someone has already mentioned she can split down the middle sometimes, which makes poseing her difficult enough. Another problem I have had is that the "gun-arm" is so heavy, she can't really hold it up. I have come up with ways to help the stability of her gun arm, but it would have just been better if she had stonger joints. All in all though, I like her a lot, and I'm looking forward to finishing out the trio, and having them combined, although now at botcon they said that the third bike would be a redeco, so I don't know how they are supposed to combine properly.

Deluxe Breakaway...The WORST deluxe so far in my opinion. A lot of things annoy me about this toy. First off, the paint job. I thought I could get over it, but I can't. I'm going to have to paint the sucker. His articulation is also down right unbearable for me. His hands have this lobster claw look to them, and makes anyway you pose his arms (which are stubby) look goofy. The legs have the most articulation (that isn't saying much), however the hips are so limited in their movement that it really kills any cool poses that might have been possible due to his ankle joints.

Voyager Starscream...He looks cool. His transformation is cool. I love that the head on this guy is so much more movie accurate. The only problems I really have with him, are his arms and legs. I don't hate the arms and legs, but I have issues with them. His arms seem too small, they don't have a lot of articulation, and his hands being really slab sided and flat kill it for me. His feet also look really tiny and awkward. I totally prefer the legs of the first movie Starscream. I know it sounds like I dont like this guy much, but I actually do, and you can put him in some really badass stances. Last night I had him balanced doing a kartwheel. If you need something to hold you over untill we finally get the leader Starscream, this guy will definately do the trick.

Leader Optimus Prime
    ...I absolutely love this figure. There are not many criticisms I can level at OP. He is awesome to play with. He has an awesome transformation, the most accurate depiction we have gotten of movie-verse Prime so far. The only problems I have with him are how his swords get in the way when transforming him, and how they keep his arm from being straight in robot mode. The rear fenders also don't peg into his back very well on mine, so they always fall down when I am poseing him. The last thing I could say is that the wheels won't really lay down flush in robot mode, however, you can alter his stance to make it work, but it is awkward. Depsite those few critiques, I absolutely think he is awesome...Speaking of I think I will go transform him now.

18. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Sideways feet are small, but I really like the figure. The potential for multiple configurations makes me think he could be ROTF's version of Universe Sideswipe/Sunstreaker. That said, I would probably hold off until the repaint (Dead End?) is released, as it has better paint apps IMO.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I tried them as the instructions had them and they looked awful to me. I know BayFormers aren't constrained by the normal human proportions that most Transformers usually go by and some like Bonecrusher with his low head I quite like. But Sideway's backwards buggy legs just didn't look right with his upper body for me. He looked too much torso and not enough legs. Even with his legs backwards his front feet parts felt too small for my liking.
    At least figures like Starscream allowed people to straighten the legs and it not affect the stability of the figure.
    But, as with everything, different strokes for different folks.

20. Hired Goons

Hired Goons Gassy autobot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the Sideswipe figure is the coolest of the bunch, but I'm biased towards the G1 character and was hoping to see him in the movie. There's definitely an abundance of his figure at the Targets I've been too, along with Sideways.

To get Sideswipe to stand up better...switch his feet around. I've had no problems standing him with the headlight part of his foot at the back.

I heard that the 'sisters' are...going to combine? Perhaps this explains her weird robot form. I'd rather have feet and wouldn't mind an Arcee repaint if that's what it came down to, but i'll wait to see if the combining aspect is true before picking it up.

I might get Rampage, but not sure yet. He looks difficult to stand up.

Most disappointing was the Smokescreen I saw, basically the first movie's Jazz figure with the G1 Smokescreen colors (kinda...you're gonna have to paint on the 38 yourself!). Kinda lame.

Demolishor has such a weird lookin' robot form, but let's face it: he's damn cool in the preview so I got him just for that. He's hanging out on the couch right now. Cool guy.

-paul