RoTF Geography Not So Messed Up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bumblebee765, May 13, 2012.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It sounds to me like the geography is based on classic summer blockbuster geography i.e. things do not resemble real life but are where they need to be when they need to be there.

Michael Bay was just particularly bad about hiding it in RotF. And clearly did not do the research on some of the places that the scenes were set in.

I'd suggest suspending disbelief but that's less suspension and more outright dismissal!

2. Regressor

Regressor Well-Known Member

Well maybe Petra wasn't supposed to be Petra but some nonexistent place in Egypt. But then again that wouldn't explain how Jordanian Helicopters could fly through Irsraeli air space. And Simmons I think mentioned that the daggers tip "divides" Jordan and Egypt.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Well, it is referred to as the 'BayVerse' after all. Why set a movie in our world when you can be God of your own entire made-up universe?

Personally I have bugger-all interest in geography so I'd never notice this stuff anyway. I suppose if the movies happened in my area though and they missed out my house I'd be a bit pissed.

It's just poor research or not really caring what's where in favour of just making the movie without having to hassle yourself with the details. Bay has always been somewhat of a detail-less director. Unless you count the thousands of parts on a BayFormer's body. :p 

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

What's bad is that they don't have to be mindless movies to be big summer action films.

With enough story and character to engage people's brains you can get away with some really crazy stuff. You can't bank ships in space and light sabers send a big middle finger to physics, but with people wrapped up in Luke, Han, and Vader people weren't distracted by Star Wars going insane with physics.

It's unclear where Bruce Banner gets the mass to become the Hulk or how the Hulk can loose that mass to become Banner, but people were too wrapped up in Avengers to worry about it. No one yelled mass shifting this movie is ruined forever.

I think the reason the Transformers films get slammed so bad for things like physics or geography is that people were bored enough to start looking for other things when the story and characters weren't keeping their attention. Some people just need more than great looking visuals or people would think Sucker Punch was a great film.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    This monitor depicts WATER IN FRONT OF THE PYRAMIDS. They digitally added an ocean to the scene ON PURPOSE.

[​IMG]

Eeeexcept that the Avengers movie proves that it's quite possible to have both "action" AND "emotions" in a summer blockbuster that doesn't require leaving (all of) your brain at the ticket counter. And quite possibly it will beat DOTM in terms of worldwide ticket sales. ROTF has already been crushed.

How come those very same film critics almost unanimously PRAISED The Avengers?

... methinks you should rewatch ROTF and pay attention to what's actually stated in dialogue instead of speculating about what may or may not be said or implied in the movie based on your sketchy memory.

Attached Files:

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Somehow my brain had totally blocked out that scene. I guess you can do something so insane in a movie that a person's mind can't even process it.

7. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Marvel's The Avengers my friends... is an exception. That is a one mega awesome movie. I totally loved it. :) 

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    It should be considered a benchmark.

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I certainly do :D 

10. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Me either honestly. The penitentiary is one of those places I've always wanted to hit up (I'm a photographer, so I have a fascination with old places).

Pretty much any scene that's supposed to take place in Washington DC bugs the crap out of me. Especially the scenes at his apartment. DC has no buildings taller than the Washington Monument, yet his apartment is surrounded by skyscrapers. It's not the first movie to make that mistake, but it still bugs me.

11. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Oh puh-leese, the Avengers played it safe. The scale of the threat was no-where near the scale of what ROTF or DOTM tried to achieve. Heck I think even the action in TF1 was on a larger scale than the Avengers. The action seemed to be around Stark Tower where as the action in TF1 progressed to different locations. That's not to say that it was a bad movie I just feel that it could have been more.