ROTF game : Demolisher pic and info on Devy

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by frenzyrumble, Apr 16, 2009.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    From MTV
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/04/16/transformers-game-developers-talk-devastator-protectobots/

I got a demo of the Xbox 360 and Wii version of Activision’s “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” video games today. I’ll have more details tomorrow. For now, let me share two topics that should excite current and lapsed (like me) Transformers obsessives.

Here are the two things that came up during the “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” demo I got today that made me, a guy who used to get every Transformer that came out, excited:

There will be Protectobots in the game: When one of the developers of “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” told me that some of the un-named extra Transformers in the upcoming movie game are based on some of the classic groups of Transformers that I played with when I was growing up, I had trouble remembering that I was a grown man. The developers behind the games are Transformers nerds themselves, I was told. They have used Aerialbots, Stunticons, Combaticons, Protectobots and Omnibots as inspiration for the unnamed robots players will encounter in the game. (I believe that’s a Combaticon on the left in the image above). There was no sign that these modern-day Protectobots will merge into the mighty Defensor. Instead they seem to be foot soldiers — extra robots to shoot and be shot by. The group names are classifications as these robots won’t have names. (I think the conversation I had with the Activision people about this was the first opportunity I had to say the word “Defensor” since I mentioned him to my brother when I was 11.)

Maybe multiple players can merge into Devastator? The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of “Revenge of the Fallen” include online multiplayer deathmatch and capture the flag modes. Up to eight gamers can play online. The new “Revenge of the Fallen” version of Devastator is, like his 1980s predecessor, a giant robot made up of smaller robots. So, I asked, can online players each play as one of Devastator’s component robots and then merge so that multiple players control a single, towering Devastator? The Activision reps gave me a stalling laugh and then one said: “We do have a lot of Transformers available [in the game.] Some that you play make up Devastator. That’s all I can say about that.” So… maybe?

I’ll have more on the “Revenge of the Fallen” in the coming days. The game ships for every major gaming platform this summer.

Movieblog's

MTV Movies Blog ‘Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen’ Game Offers Devastator And Constructicon Tease

[​IMG]

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen’ Game Offers Devastator And Constructicon Tease
    Published by Rick Marshall on Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 5:16 pm.

'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen'“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” hits theaters in a few months (check out today’s exclusive movie standee debut), but an MTV demo of the “Revenge of the Fallen” tie-in video game today offered a few more peeks at one of the movie’s most eagerly anticipated additions: the massive Decepticon called “Devastator.”

While the game’s developer had to keep quiet on the biggest (literally) addition to the film’s roster of giant robots due to how closely the game is modeled on the movie, there were a few Devastator-related bits and pieces to glean from the event (though no images, unfortunately). Production coordinator Mike Mejia took MTV News through a climactic battle with the massive Decepticon set in streets of Cairo late in the demo — an encounter that Mejia said was pulled directly from the plot of the film.

And that wasn’t all there was to learn about Devastator and (as fans of the series will be glad to hear) the Constructicons that unite to form the villain.

Along with taking us through a battle between Optimus Prime and Devastator, Mejia took a moment to pan the in-game camera around the massive villain and provide an up-close peek at the robot’s design. Composed of several different Decepticons like his cartoon (and comic book) counterpart, Devastator maneuvered around the Cairo cityscape on all fours, with his various construction-vehicle components clearly visible during the slow-pan peek.

It’s also worth noting that “Demolisher,” the Decepticon with a giant wheel seen in several of the “Revenge of the Fallen” trailers (seen in the concept art below), is clearly visible as the primary torso and neck component of Devastator. Originally rumored to be Devastator, the wheel-wielding Demolisher robot is actually just the bulk of Devastator’s chest in the game — giving you an indication of how large the character will likely be in Bay’s CGI-fueled sequel.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I can play as Demolishor in the game I'm sold(or at least renting it).

3. buffbeefbroth

buffbeefbroth Holier than Thou

Does this confirm that Demolishor and Scavenger are the same character?

4. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    nice

5. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That demolishor pic is amazing

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    wat? there is no Scavenger in the movie verse hes reffered to as Demolishor in the Movie lol

7. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Protectobots, defensor, super sweet!

I got the last game and since I'm not a huge video game junky, it's now collecting dust. I did however enjoy iy when it first came out and after reading this bit about the next game I think I'll buy it too

8. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Yeah, that whole thought about several players controlling one Devastator is probably not in the game. No way a studio could ever figure out how to make that fun and keep all the players in the game.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Lately the movie people/Paramount have been making confusing statements, referring to Demolishor and Scavenger as two separate characters.

Back during Toyfair, Hasbro referred to the excavator component of the Devastator toy set as "Scavenger". "SCVNGR" was printed on the side of the toy. We know Demolishor is Demolishor because that's what's printed on his packaging. Roberto Orci confirmed this was the name (presumably provided by Hasbro) for the character.

However, Paramount recently released a list of ROTF TFs, placing Demolishor separately from the Constructicons, which had 7 members, including "Scavenger" and somebody named Overload.

Who knows what's going on.

10. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

I'm confused is there a pic of Devy from the game or no?

EDIT: Duurrrr, I posted that before actually reading the article, haha.

11. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    If individual players using the Constructicons can merge in multiplayer into Devastator, there would be control issues. I can't see each player controlling one part of him-you'd be shafted if you happened to play as the Construction who formed his crotch, for example.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yeah. i dunno how combiners would work at all in a video game. not unless like the person with the highest score or kill count or whatever gets to have control but then you have like 8 other people just twiddling their thumbs while one guy plays the big guy

doesnt sound very fun overall

itd be tough to do. i dunno how you could pull it off

13. RAVAGE-_-EJECT!

RAVAGE-_-EJECT! Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought it was another company instead of Activision :confused: 

Does anyone think that poster with the names was real? I think that it was and Demolishor gets taken out by Prime & the Autobots in China and the 7 protoforms that land in Egypt are of the Constructicons {Scavenger & Overload included} I could be wrong :crazy: 

No matter what we will get our BAYSPLOSIONSSSS in video game form :bay 

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Activision is still like distributing it or whatever

the "another company" you're probably thinking of is the new developer Luxoflux

15. JIZZATRON

JIZZATRON Active Member

How the hell does Demolishor get from Asia to Cairo for the final battle

I can see it now, constructicons about to merge then

Optimus says "No, they cant possibly"
    Sam looks frightened.
    Ratchet says "The boy's feramone levels suggests he want to pee himself"

16. RAVAGE-_-EJECT!

RAVAGE-_-EJECT! Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh---thanks Josh:thumb 

17. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Yeah. It sounds really cool on paper, but I think it would be near-impossible to work out in real life.

But who knows!? Maybe they figured it out *shrug*

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Well, look at UT, one player drives, one controls a weapon....Maybe each player would control different guns & lasers...

19. Red Frenzy

Red Frenzy Its madness He's 100% RED

A full blown realization of a 8 player game where 6 of them combine into Devastator sounds almost impossible, but if it could actually happen here is how I think it could possibly work.

Okay, so in order to allow 6 players to combined into Devastator the match would have to be it's own gametype just like deathmatch or capture the flag. Think of it in terms of like the Juggernaut gametype in Halo, one team vs a super character.

You have 8 players in the online match: 6 players as the Constructicons vs. 2 fully upgradable Autobots. The Con's are relatively weak by themselves and need to find the rest of the team in order to protect each other. The Autobots can work as a team or individually. They are strong enough to take on a single Con alone but more than one becomes more difficult.

The game starts with the Constructicons separate from each other. Their goal is to find the rest of the team and transform into Devastator. The Autobots, with upgraded fire-power, have to take down the whole team before they combined. If the Constructicons succeed without losing a team member they change into Devastator, control of the monster depends on which player has done the best in the game so far (ie: fastest to find others, saved a teammate, killed a Autobot) that control only lasts as long as that player does well in controlling the combiner, like how the Tank works in Left 4 dead. If that player starts to play badly, control of Devastator switches to another player. The Autobots still have a fighting chance against the monster because he is relatively slow and he is now a single enemy, as a team the two Autobots should be able to take down the monster. The game ends when the 2 Autobot's are destroyed, all the Constructicons are dispatched or the Autobot's defeat Devastator.

The final problem is what to do with the other 5 players who are not controlling Devastator? My best idea is that they can control some type of turret that can shoot at the Autobot's or some kind of power that the head controlling player can't use. Other than that I don't really have any other clue what they could do. That unfortunately is the biggest flaw in a game with a combing Devastator. I believe a gametype could still be made that is similar to this idea, but it does not include any combing. Just one player as Devastator and everyone else trying to take him down.

Any opinions?

20. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Sounding good i was really excited for the first one but it was soo bland. Hope this one is much better.