RotF Deluxe Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by GogDog, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Ok. After picking him up on the May 30th I finally got a chance to sit down and open him up. (His Character TV Spot kinda shoved me over the edge)

OMG

If there is just one Deluxe figure to get out of this line....so far....IT MUST BE HIM.

He is freakin amazing his posebility is fantastic. I have not problems with the chest as it snapped right in and the boots on his for the wheels on his feet actually help to lock them so he stands fine.

I am just so friggin impressed right now it's so not funny.

2. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    The character TV spot was what got me too :)  That and Sideswipe and Sunstreaker have always been a couple of my favourites.

alt mode
    Corvette Stingray Centennial Concept. great looking car, the only gripe I have is the same others have mentioned with the 'jigsaw' effect. It's obvious to me looking at the toy in alt mode that it's a Transformer. If they had made him a darker colour, they may have gotten away with it, but I'm too lazy to repaint and I want movie accuracy. It's still a good looking car, but you will always have that jigsaw effect. It's no worse on my toy than it is on any of the photos. So if it doesn't bother you now, it never will. For me, it was almost enough for me to not buy him. But hey, it's Sideswipe.

Transformation
    Transformation into robot mode isn't too tough, isn't too easy and it's quite fun. Transforming back into car however is a different story. Getting the whole thing to line up can be a bit of a juggling job, and on mine, getting the arms to cooperate and go back under the chassis quietly is a bit of a struggle.

Robot mode
    Now we bring the win. Sideswipe looks awesome here. And very movie accurate. In fact the only things I could tell were different was the windscreen (Where do autobot windscreens go in the movies anyway? Bumblebee pulls the same trick) and the hands in the movie are silver

Articulation is good. I do have an issue on mine where his right elbow is pretty loose, but you can get him in some nice action poses.

Others have mentioned stability issues. I cheated. Mine is posed like this;
    [​IMG]
    Apologies for the crappy phone pic, but I like the pose as it kinda looks like he's using his blades as support to pull into a sharp turn. The chest does pop out on mine, but not very often so perhaps I'm lucky on that front.

Overall
    If you're a fan of 'swipe, it's a must-by. Otherwise take a good look at the alt mode and decide if it's worth it.

3. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got him today as I needed an autobot for some SS pics I have in mind. I made the right choice.

I had to pick through most every Sideswipe at Target to get one with good paint. I managed to get one that is not having any of the floppiness issues that others have reported, chest and arms are fine.

While he can be tricky to pose because of the feet, I have to change the feet for even minor changes to the upper body, I can get him stable reasonably easy.

I like this toy a lot. For an autobot he looks tough and bad ass. I also like how there are so many different ways to put the back kibble, there is a method for just about any taste.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The slightly irksome thing is that the Legends version of this guy has a little flip-out heel so he can stand easily. If a Legends figure can get a useful flip-out heel why the fudge couldn't a Deluxe?

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    He does have heels, on his... well, heels.

6. FuRiOus_StyLZe

FuRiOus_StyLZe Hasbro can suck my nuts..

my sentiments exactly...i'm not big on movie stuff but this figure is just bad-ass. :) 

7. Valenti

Valenti BoA's love.

8. Z.U.D.O.N

Z.U.D.O.N Camshaft's Master

I'm not surprised. He's by far (IMO) one of the coolest and most spectacular transformers out there. There's very little of him left in the stores in my area too.. Next is.. either Rampage or Sideways.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sideways and BB are choking up the pegs at my Wally World and 'tis a shame.
    The more i handle this figure, the more i am glad to have bought him.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's why I said flip-out heels, but I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant in my post. Legends has a little heel spur that flips out to help the figure stand on his wheel feet. The Deluxe doesn't, just people having to angle the feet to one extreme back or forth in order to get him to stand.
    Terminator Hunter Killer mode. :) 

11. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The first figure I got from the line, and it is a fantastic mold.

I don't understand the people that are having trouble posing him regarding getting him to stand... mine poses fine. In fairness you're not going to get ridiculous Universe Mirage/Animated Prowl style poses out of him, but he's above par in that regard. It all comes down to manipulating to foot halves.

12. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

This mould is my 2nd fav. of the ROTF line. Prime being the best. But I love this fig. and would love to have a voyager class of him.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Was at Wal-mart and saw him for $9. Given how cool he admittedly looks (I'm not a fan of the Movie aesthetic), I decided to give him a chance. He is rather fun, more articulation would've been nice, but he's a solid fun little guy. Mine doesn't have the chest problem and balance is only an issue if the surface isn't stable.

I'm sure next week we'll get a review of the HA Sideswipe and I'll feel like I wasted $9, but who knows?

14. Z.U.D.O.N

Z.U.D.O.N Camshaft's Master

I don't think you wasted $9. He's one of the coolest and more satisfactory figures you can get now. :D  IMO the HA version isn't that fantastic, although the doors do open and there are seats! I mean the HA is rather "stout" and doesn't have the cool vibe as much as its Deluxe counterpart. So unless you really like him and really digg the HA mold, I'd suggest you save your cash for other figures, like Leader Prime. :) 

Then again, this is my opinion. So it's just a suggestion.

15. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime youtube.com/billythekidsnobullshittoyreviews

News Credits:
    Just got him Leader Megs and Optimus for my birthday yesterday love all 3 but i wanted to comment on Sideswipe love him think he's one of the best movie figs yet.. mine has no issues with his chest nor with standing up... my only gripe is he feels/looks small... I pictured him bigger than Bee in the movie but his toy si def smaller.. I wouldnt mind him upscaled a little... other than that he's incredible

16. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this

17. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I posed him next to my 21rst Century Toys Vietnam soldiers and my G.I. Joe figs.
    Must say, i am still impressed with him. (tomorrow, i will try to take pics and post em here.)
    SS will be on my Fave list for a long time.

I definitely will pick up the Swerve repaint.
    and in a few months, i may pick up one more SS just for the joy of it.

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Try moving his arms a little bit. Mine wouldn't roll after a transformation and I just fiddled a bit. The arms barely moved but I think there was a slight pop and the wheels rolled after that. Try fiddling with the arm weapons too.

I love this figure. I was just going to pass on it and wait for the Human Allaince version but I had to pick it up after buying one for my nephew. I love the false pistons on it and the actual Silver color. Now only if the other silver bots could get the same treatment.

19. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    SS with a couple Joes.

[​IMG]
    SS with a couple of my Vietnam era figures (21rst Century Toys)

20. Skyswipe

Skyswipe Favorite store on Citadel

I have him. And he wins.