ROTF BLAZE MASTER Autobot News Channel 7 Helicopter ALT & BOT Mode Photos

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by GenZhao, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Takun

Takun strongbad_email.exe

Ebay:
    I dunno, I think its a pretty neat figure. Looks a bit like Evac 2.0, same shapes and the spinning blades with a more realistic (ala movie style) look. The birds legs don't bother me too much, watching Jetfire stomp around in a grumpy mood just means theyve got more stamping power.

My only real beef is the Channel 6 News logo - I get all my info from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Hmm.. I wonder if it'd be possible to re-colour it...

2. 0ptimus57993

0ptimus57993 Autobot Sage

News Credits:
    I dont like what I can see of his head.....

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, there's the other end of the spectrum... an ENORMOUS gorilla-like upper body, with teeny-tiny little bird legs... that looks pretty stupid too...

*glares at Starscream*

Yeah, this is true. Despite my strong dislike for the GorillaChickenKite that stole Starscream's name, I do see the peregrine falcon-like elements in his design. I get it.

Though considering how many people excuse the "monster" aesthetic for Bayformers as being appropriate to their alien nature, how exactly does that make a birdlike model for jet and helicopter alt-mode bots any more sensible? Birds = air vehicles is itself a totally human association that would equally have no bearing on alien robots.

At it's core, I don't even hate all Bayformer designs. Some of them work quite well... this one, not so much.

Fair enough. I know there are some figures I still love, in spite of some critical flaw that turns many others off. There are many different factors that can contribute to the appreciation of a TF.

Take Movie Ransack for example. I think he's got a totally shitty robot design. He is basically a skeleton wearing a kite. However, the fact that he turns into a WWI aircraft goes a LONG way to almost making him appealing to me. :) 

See above for my feeling on that count. It doesn't really make sense. We just somehow think that an alien robot who physically transforms himself inside-out to become a jet should share some basic physical features with a bird... even though that's not really logical at all.

It's not that they don't care about them... I just think that the design process for a Movie Transformer is fundamentally easier (at least when you don't have to match the design to an onscreen model), because you don't actually have to solve any of the "problems" that are presented by "regular" transformers... that is to say a convincing transformation between 2 distinct forms. When the robot mode has no defined form or characteristics, how much of a challenge is it really?

"What do I do with these engine intakes, and how do I turn them into arms? ...oh right! I don't have to! I can just make this look like a wrecked helicopter on stilts!" :) 

I think you can see this same attitude looking at Breakaway. He is, essentially, a standard jet-bot, like Cybertron Thundercracker or a Cyberjet design... but only 3/4 transformed. So all the main kibble remains, his head is only half emerged, his torso is oddly distended forward... things aren't folded away or functional looking. And I say this as someone who kind of likes Breakaway.

Oh, I know I'm cynical. I also know I'm right. ;) 

Well, yeah... there is that. Though... come to think of it, how many chopper-bots actually DO have dual sword action???

In recent years we've had Armada Cyclonus, Energon Bulkhead, Energon Blackout/Stormcloud, Cybertron Evac, Movie Blackout, Movie Incinerator and... well, that's it... and not a single one of them has "dual sword action". I'm thinking that Animated Megatron might be the only TF EVER with dual sword action, so maybe it's something we could actually see more of.

More than anything, I think lever-powered propeller gimmicks and tailfins stuck to your butt are chopper bot features I'd like to see less of.

Actually, going back to my earlier point, I think the fact that no one picked up on him being mistransformed speaks volumes about how arbitrary and irrelevant Movie robot modes can be. :) 

I like Breakaway's legs, but yeah... his big long toes are a bit ridiculous looking, though admittedly, they would provide quite a bit of stability for a jet-bot (or indeed, any kind of bot).

zmog

4. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The bird legs are an issue for me. The upper half of the body isn't bad though.

He doesn't seem to have hands :S

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This figure almost reminds me of Soundwave.

6. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    If you're talking purely Chopper bots then yes, I think you're right, however I was thinking more along the lines of in the ROTF line so far we have Wreckage/Bludgeon, Sideswipe/Swerve, Dirtboss, Leader Prime and now Blazemaster who all have twin swords, and if you factor in Jolt and Rampage with their twin whips there's a lot of potential for awesome hand to hand fighting on screen and in play, which quite frankly floats my boat :p 

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

[​IMG]

8. SMOG

That's a good point... I was just thinking of chopper-bots, and not the glut of dual-wielding Movie bots so far.

zmog

9. Lakanl

Lakanl Footmaster

I have nothing more than a resounding Meh for this figure.

By now, for me, it comes to no surprise at all that there using the chicken legs. So that didn't kill it for me. It just feels like they made a helicopter-former for the sake of making one. And then they called it Blaze Master because all the other names were taken.

I do however like the Channel 7 logo, and like everybody else, I am reminded of Anchorman.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  10. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd agree with you, if this wasn't so blatantly Blazemaster.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is extremely true.

It's like HASBRO and Takara designs heard Bay saying to Hasbro's CEO (yeah the designs are going to be really alien in this movie) and started to exagerate beyond proportions what "alien-like" is.

Compare BLAZEMASTER to Blackout or Springer, see a difference? Yeah, their transformation is convicing.

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    It's still a very opinionated argument. I see Starscream and the actual bulk of his torso is the mid section, basically the canopy.

He hasn't really got a bulky gorilla torso : viewed from the side - en profil - he's basically thin like a kite.

And yes, there's logic to his legs too ; if big bulky legs are analogue to big heavy armoured human warriors boots, why would a flying warrior want to wear those heavy armoured boots instead of lightweight sleek shoes ?

Besides, the skeletal bone structure of such bird-like legs creates for increased leaping & landing abilities, compared to human legs ; that's why he could was able to tear up those F22's in movie 1, jumping from one to the other in flying botmode.

Aesthetics-wise ; the robot mode interpretes the diamond shapes of the F22 altmode perfectly. I'm glad this F22 SS doesn't turn into a straightlined blocky former with jetbackpack kibble.

But yeah, to each his own, I think he's a brilliant design and this Blaze Master is pretty cool too.

13. Brawlastator

Brawlastator "woah oh oh woah oh oh" - tarzan boy, baltimora

News Credits:
    Oh, man. This guy is hilarious! :lol  I gotta pick this guy up so he can hang out with to Breakaway.

I'm sure all of you who're shitting all over this toy will pick him up and probably end up loving him. He looks like the new "Movie Swindle" of ROTF.

14. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for a video review. I'll most likely get him, there are so few deluxe whirly-birds in the TF world. May end up a decent Blades for a ROTF Defensor with a bit of help.

15. SMOG

errr... hence my derogatory nickname for him above... GorillaChickenKite. I'm not sure what you're arguing... He looks like some sort of ape mixed with a kite, with tiny little bird legs. He's already a pretty radical departure from "regular" TFs in general, and for a name character like Starscream, all the more so.

Because as a Transformer who changes into a plane, having proper legs as opposed to bird legs in robot mode is completely irrelevant to his flying ability. Birds are "designed" the way they are because of specific functions and limitations of their biology. Transforming into a jet is not really a bird trait.

No, he was able to do that because the animation team animated him doing so, which they could have done just as easily working from a humanoid base, or even an intermediate "gerwalk" configuration. The form/function aspect of it is really unimportant . Computer generated characters "do" what they are made to do. Either way, it's not an especially credible sequence, but we allow a suspension of disbelief based on the fantastical premise of transforming alien robots.

LOL! Which is funny since the entire structure rearranges unnecessarily itself to this end, just as the Autobot models also have next to no large recognizable car structures in their designs. The bird motif is a conceit, nothing more.

Honestly, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with incorporating a "bird of prey" theme into a Seeker design... however I think they completely nerfed the design in this case. Overall, I have to say that Bayformer Starscream is probably my least favoured of ALL the Movie designs... except maybe Megatron, who in addition to having a fairly meaningless robot mode (a man covered in shrapnel with dental tools for hands?), also lacks a credible or recognizable alt mode. Flying pair of scissors? Pile of wreckage with tank treads? Hmmm... must have been hard to engineer that transformation. :rolleyes2 

You mean that awkward, ugly toy I picked up purely due to his having a relatively mundane car alt-mode, and because I thought I MIGHT be able to wring some kind of kitbash value out of him, and then gave up, and dumped him in a box of spare parts?

I think I'll skip that this time around, and just avoid Blazemaster altogether, like I did for half the first movie line. Being a completist is for bozos who don't actually care whether they like something, just so long as they have ALL of them. ;) 

zmog

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I know is that movie Starscream design looks damned cool in my opinion, and that's all that matters to me when I'm at the toy store.

Now Blazemaster is a whole different story, I think he's ugly all around, shape and color-wise, I'll just buy one and give to a friend's kid to make the shelves less ugly.

17. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    So, basically you just stomp the movie designs again...trying to argument it as if your logic, rooted in your aesthetic preference, makes more sense....

So, now you say it is irrelevant whether he has more humanoid legs or not. Contradicting yourself.

Besides, the dogfight sequence over Mission City was completely awesome. Yes, he turns into a plane but the way he is built with those jet engines on his back enable him to fly in botmode and at the same time slash through those F22's in a beasty awesome way. And yes, it's animated with such fluid grace that it directly reflects the narcistic nature of G1 Starscream. Same applies to the acrobatic flip turn at the Hooverdam bridge.

Ok, I'll go out on a limb here, stating that imo, he's one of the BEST designs. (Along with Jetfire, Sideways, the Constructicons etc etc.)

C'mon, I don't think Bay was the one behind this design concept. You wanna generalize all movie bots, tagging them Bayformers ?

18. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Not bad at all, I like how they've folded up the entire tail, far too many chopper bots of lines past have just had it as one massive piece of plastic.
    I don't feel it's a must have though, I might pick it up at some point.

19. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I wish people would actually use 'Digitigrade' instead of 'chicken legs'. Considering most legged animals above the reptile level have digitigrade leg structure, it's not like birds have a monopoly on the design. On an engineering/design level, animals have the leg structures they do for very specific reasons. Robots with similar fuctions would have similar leg structures. It makes engineering sense.

The hands though...those need work.

20. SMOG

I'm not sure if you actually are understanding which one of us is contradicting himself. Saying that Starscream's diamond-shape in robot mode reflects his F22 Raptor shape only points out how arbitrary that decision is... as MOST of the other movie designs, as a point of principal, break down into such tiny fragmented forms, that there are almost no recognizable shapes or chunks of alt mode that carry through to the robot mode. Having SS's 2 forms echo each other is a whim of the designer, not something dictated by any underlying design aesthetic (other than "bad guys = bestial" which is a pretty superficial approach, really).

Again, no... you were saying that bird-like legs are appropriate to his aerial alt mode. I was pointing out that since he radically transforms his entire body from one distinct form to another, having "bird-legs" in his robot mode is irrelevant. He can have any kind of legs he wants. There is no particular internally logical reason that bird legs would be favoured over any other. The only reason we see it that way is because we humans associate birds with flying things... an association lost on giant alien robots.

Hilarious. You're trying really hard, aren't you? Where you see Starscream-esque narcissism, most people simply see boisterous simian movements. To convey an aloof, preening, arrogant body language, there are far more human-like (and yes, even bird-like) gestures that would suit the character... instead, inarguably, Bay's Starscream looks and moves like a monkey.

I think MOST people, both those who liked the Movie and those who didn't, would disagree with that point on Starscream. That design does have its fans, no question, but in terms of capturing the essence of the character, I think it's a miss.

I do. Michael Bay is the prominent iconic creative driving force behind this particular, distinctly different, incarnation of Transformers... lock, stock and barrel. A director must be considered to be responsible for the vision of his film. I see no problem with nicknaming this variety of Transformers as "Bayformers".

If it bothers you because you see it as somehow a derogatory term reflecting the evident hubris in Bay's attitude towards reinventing the franchise, well... that's just a bonus. ;) 

Yeah... "digitigrade" is formally more accurate... but good luck. People will go with the analogy that is most obvious or evocative for them. Digitigrade legs may be common among animals, but birds are pretty much the only bipedal digitigrades, and since the "digitigrade" design is most prevalent on the aerial Bayformers, and clearly aiming at avian associations, "bird-legs" is pretty much how people are going to see it.

Or if they want to rob the design of more dignity, "chicken-legs". Editorialism is hard to avoid on the internet. :D 

zmog