Minor/Repaint: ROTB Battlemaster Predacon Rhinox and Airazor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Signal LancR, May 20, 2024.

1. Signal LancR

Signal LancR Bah weep gragnah

Skullcruncher was lonely

When I first saw the ROTB Battlemasters, I had an idea. I thought they would make good Breastmaster substitutes for my CW Liokaiser, but there were two major hurdles: the bat and the bison. Both would take significant physical modifications outside my current experience, but I was intrigued until I saw them in person.

The toys were fun, but the movie techno-organic aesthetic just doesn't work with the Breastforce for me. The functionality wasn't there either. I had Targetmasters, sure, but they didn't work in alt mode or combined mode. It felt forced, and I wasn't loving my digibashed proofs of concept for colours either.

However, I did love the toys. I got every mold on deep discount with 2 copies each of Airazor and Rhinox with the intent of turning the duplicates into Batbreast and Bisonbreast. I've decided to keep them all, but I've abandoned the Breastmaster idea. So what to do with a spare Rhinox and Airazor?

17162248904891462471946268031436.jpg

Both got repainted into Predacons. Airazor is based pretty faithfully on their Armada figure, save the absent sports car minicon. I have no real attachment to the original figure or character. I just thought the colours were neat and the idea of the Energon comic depiction of her as Unicron's horseman of death appealed to me. Never read the comic though.

Rhinox is loosely based not on his Armada figure, but instead on his reprogrammed Predacon version from the Beast Wars episode Dark Designs. I watched that episode a lot and used the detailing of this mold to show an injured and rebuilt Rhinox. Perhaps one who never went back to the Maximals. Maybe even defeating Megatron after a costly battle or going off on his own like Tarantulas often did.

17162262182531688257611531690750.jpg

They're both painted with Tamiya Acrylics. The purple on both of them is a 7:2 mix of Vallejo acrylic 70.812 Violet Red and Tamiya acrylic X-16 Purple.
    Not done Rhinox's weapon mode. I need more green paint for that.

17162267139393504800345814496976.jpg

Yes, that's the little Scorponok that came with 2007 Blackout all painted up. He fits right in. Also, yes, Chainclaw the blue wolf was sold as a Maximal. He also turns into a chainsaw. That seems more more in line with the methods of Predacons to me. Can't remember the last time the Maximals needed to fell trees to save the day. That would be a story wouldn't it? Anyway, that's all for now.

EDIT: Note to future self - Rhinox Green is a combination of Tamiya Acrylics 1 part X-8 Lemon Yellow, 1 part X-5 Green, and 3 parts X-15 Light Green.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Heriatan

Heriatan Well-Known Member

Nice team, I love the new looks!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Midwest Jhiaxus

Midwest Jhiaxus Well-Known Member

Very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer