Ron Perlman to voice Optimus Primal in Rise of the Beasts

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Jun 28, 2021.

1. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Huh, in a way he kind of reprises his role as Optimus Primal.

I wonder who will be voicing other characters?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

News Credits:
    All for it.

Slade. Hellboy. Sons of Anarchy. Now a proper take on Optimus Primal.

Seriously, I do not understand purity when it comes to Transformers at all. This brand is literally about change. If they want things to be source material accurate, reference the source material. Watch G1 over and over. Watch Beast Wars over and over.

Some of us want...you know...new things. Peter Cullen isn't going to voice Optimus Prime forever, either.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    I’d take a gander at who the previous voices of transformers were in the movies. Even bumblebee. Some were actual voice actors and that should be who does them. People we wouldn’t recognize

4. FORT MAXie

FORT MAXie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    kinda hard to ignore with that kingdom clip..... ohhh that was rough to watch

5. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

Agree on that, for sure. I adore Welker, but Weaving was one of the few things I loved in the film series.

Hell, TFP Megatron sounds like Welker blended G1 with Weaving and delivers what I consider the perfect Megatron voice.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Jakedc1997

Jakedc1997 Well-Known Member

Would it have been amazing for Chalk to have been brought back? Absolutely, especially for fans who were born in the mid to late 90\'s who would have known him as both Primal and Prime. That said Perlman I think will do fine with the right direction. That said the real two who need to return are Kaye and Mcneil. You cannot do BW Megs and Waspinator without the two of them, those two make the characters, Chalk made Primal too but I feel like he could have be recast if absolutely needed, you can\'t do that with Waspinator and Megs

• Like Like x 2
  7. Frontier4

Frontier4 Well-Known Member

I love Ron Perlman, but I'm sorry, Gary Chalk is Optimus Primal.

Why is it so hard to get Peter Cullen and Gary Chalk together in something as their respective characters? Like, this might've been the last opportunity to do it.

At least he should get much better direction than he did in the Prime Wars trilogy, although I'm curious how they're going to characterize Primal.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    I wanna like this because I like Perlman but I also like chalk. So it’s like a lose-lose either way for me. Why they didn’t offer the voice roles to the VAs who did them in BW I don’t understand. Also, the VA for Waspinator better be the original or we fucking riot.

• Like Like x 5
  9. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

I'm not saying it absolutely has to be Garry Chalk, but Ron Perlman's voice seems all wrong and not just because he already did it and that was a whiff. He acts to the lower ends of his register, so he's "heavier" when the character should be "lighter", more emotional.

They made the same mistake with Hugo Weaving as Megatron, just didn't feel like a character the way that voice work was directed with that actor and for me, at least, that was a big whiff.

I would of course prefer it be Chalk, he really breathed life into the character with his performance.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    speak for yourself

• Like Like x 2
  11. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welker's Megatron in Prime is one of my very favorite vocal performances in the franchise, ever. If that was on the table for TF07 (and we don't know if it was) I would have absolutely have preferred it over Weaving, but that's more of a hindsight thing. TF1 / ROTF video game Welker did not sound good at all, and Weaving was very solid in all three movies even if he admitted to phoning it in.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    this ain’t beast wars optimus primal. Those still characters till exist and everyone can still enjoy them.

Folks need to really separate the original from a new version. Ironhide, ratchet, sideswipe, bumblebee, starscream, all these had different actors. Yes Latta had passed but those portrayals and voices were different from before and their characters are still very memorable

• Like Like x 3
  13. FORT MAXie

FORT MAXie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I have watched Beast wars so much I wore out the DVDs and bought a 2nd set. There is a code among the voice actors if they have done a char in respect they should be offered to reprise the role first especially if they put the work in to make it iconic sorta like they offer actors the ability to voice their cartoon versions and many turn it down. Nowadays to be a voice actor you gotta be a blockbuster actor... there is ample work for many in hollywood why are the A listers or British royalty getting all the work while the others struggle and flat out be denyed. I like Ron too and he has been on both ends of this thou it was more because the production company is avoiding union voice actors as a means to punish them. seriously do listen to what Peter and others have to say about being in a Union and keep in mind it's part of their paycheck that fund the unions not our money and who opposes it the same group that decided everyone needs to go woke and promote a bunch of lude ed programs to 5 and 6 year olds and how nasty well if i bring it up i am very likely to be banned here for talking about it.

14. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Lowering the Bar

I've got no foul objection to Perlman voicing Primal. But I hope this doesn't mean for source material reference they're looking at any Rooster Teeth nonsense instead of the actual Beast Era shows. Since Perlman voiced Primal in POTP. It could be just simply a celebrity casting, but you never know.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    So we\'ve gone from \"truck not monkey!\" to \"This is such an iconic tile that even though Pearlnan voiced the character before we want the other voice actor!\"

God I love this fandom and it\'s bitchiness

• Like Like x 6
  16. AleximusPrimus

AleximusPrimus Freedom Is The Right Of All Sentient Beings

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I couldn't agree more.
    I mean sure Gary would have been nice but then again there's is nothing wrong with this.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

My favorite part is the saltiness about Cullen voicing Optimus all of the time. I'm sure most G1 fans were ecstatic to hear their childhood hero yell "give me your face." :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  18. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Those that are saying "Can't have the same guy voice the same character forever." are just being COMPLETELY obtuse to the fact that that Peter Cullen is constantly in the franchise and because he was the first one, and is iconic, and blah blah blah blah BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!

I absolutely LOVE Beast Wars to death. It is MY "G1". MY Transformers that I grew up with when I was in the impressionable 5 - 12 year age gap.

I ALSO understand that these guys aren't gonna be around forever and it's a good idea to have fresh blood. I'm not gonna argue against that. Change IS good.

But this was a dream scenario for some of us who just wanted to hear Cullen and Chalk talk to one another on the Big Screen.

... For just the one time...

This franchise is just stuck in this damn wreck of constantly using Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream/G1 characters... over... and over... and over... and over... and over... AND OVER... AND OVER... AND FACKING OVER!!!

Beast Wars fans offer one freaking suggestion of "Could we get Chalk back for Primal?"...

And it's literally "GET BACK IN LINE, BEAST FAN!! CHALK ISN'T ALWAYS GONNA BE AROUND!!!!"

Then those who yell that turn around and go back to kissing Peter Cullen's feet.

The Hypocrisy is PALPABLE.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Optimalprimal

Optimalprimal Diecast construction. It's a lost art.

Yeah, we are epic that way. I don't get how that everyone doesn't realize yet that Hasbro and Hollywood will almost always choose cash over class. Perlman makes the movie slightly more bank he's in. It doesn't matter that Chalk IS Primal or not.
    Huh. (Checks profile pic.) How the heck am I the voice of reason here? I should be leading the riot...

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

282bcc317d1ac3152b162b593c2da14345d84083_hq.gif

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    How’s that wall you’re screaming at?

• Like Like x 4