Ron Perlman to voice Optimus Primal in Rise of the Beasts

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Jun 28, 2021.

1. HuffR_WFCTX_91135

HuffR_WFCTX_91135 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you not checked his twitter feed? He obviously wanted to be involved.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What were the original plans?

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Oh damn, Pearlman\'s perfect for it.

Chalk\'s great , but a little too jolly & toony for a more serious movie monkey.
     Pearlman\'s voice will sound like he\'s been through actual war.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    31F1E8FA-0260-4D83-8391-247D66D5A998.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  5. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    I love how the fanbase just completely forgot about this. I can’t even begin to imagine what the fan response would’ve been if it had happened during the development of one of the Bay films.

1. I like how you completely brushed over the part where he said “If you’re gonna hire a different voice actor, let them do something different”.
    2. You seem unnecessarily angry that fans on here are disappointed that Garry Chalk isn’t reprising the role.

• Like Like x 3
  6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    You say this, and then people bitch about Earthrise Prime because his fists are the wrong color or Kingdom Galvatron because his shoulders are a bit too wide.

Are you not reading the thread? Regardless of what you may have done growing up, it's clear this particular neck of the fandom can't get over 30 year old portrayals of characters. So voice actors get brought in and are likely told to do impressions (or feel pressure to do impressions) because fans in general (even if not you in specific) bitch about anything besides the original.

It's one thing to be disappointed, it's another to act like there can only ever be one person playing a role. And that is what's going on in this thread.

Well, I take back what I said about Chalk earlier. This seems petty on his part, especially after he previously defended Perlman from fans demanding "emulation" of his performance.

And can I ask an honest question? It's clear a number of people complaining about this were already complaining about the movie/Bayverse before it. It's clear you already decided you weren't going to like it...so why are you now begging for Chalk to be involved when it just means he's going to be voicing a version of Primal you've already decided to hate?

That's why I'm glad there's a new voice behind this version. Because he's not the same guy. I don't care how many videos people link me to about Cullen being "sickened" or whatever by the Bayverse. That's why you get someone different. Cullen can be his version of Prime and the new voice can be their version of Prime and the two never have to cross paths.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ron Perlman is great, but Optimus Primal is Gary Chalk. The guy has a ton of range. He could do a more gruff Optimus Primal. 

8. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    Chalk was Primal for 3 seasons. Perlman was primal for 10 episodes. Chalk's voice is the more iconic Primal voice.

thats... really in character for Perlman. didn't he send joke tweets to Trump calling him "Lil' Donnie"?

what an amazing concept, people care about the looks on a $50 toy.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. PrimalFury

PrimalFury The Chosen One

News Credits:
    So when the first movie came out, they made sure to get the OG VA OP for the G1 fans, they knew how important it would be and how vocal they would be if they didn't and the live action was a bit of a risk, uncharted waters so they wanted to bring in as many as they could but with BW.....why Ron? Nothing against him, I saw POTP, that wasn't really Optimus Primal, more so a generic vote win character that could have been anyone, is this kinda an F you to BW fans? Id like to know why they didn't choose Mr. Chalk? Did he refuse? Did they even ask him? BW fans may want answers.

Will a name like Ron Perlman bring in more people than Garry Chalk? Is that why? I guess hardcore Ron Perlman fans might go see it for him, maybe, but a majority of hardccore BW fans would definitely be excited if Garry Chalk was in it, id like to understand the casting especially with the director claiming to be a BW fan

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I don't use Twitter, so I wouldn't know.

• Like Like x 5
  11. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Time and again we've also demonstrated Twitter isn't real life. No amount of RTing is going to get Perlman kicked off the project and Chalk signed on. And if it did...f**k Paramount and f**k this movie.

No. We're fine. Hell, G1 fans hated the portrayal of Prime in the Bay movies so in that case using Cullen didn't make a damn bit of difference (if it didn't make things worse). But that's fine, I can already hear the countless reviews that will claim that Perlman's Primal is what ruined the film because "something something Chalk's iconic voice..."

• Like Like x 2
  12. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was before Perlman got announced.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    So two things can be true at the same time. Cullen could legitimately be upset over the line dubing, which was a cheap money saving trick. And Mr. Cullen could be out of line by criticizing our Jon Bailey's great work.

To be honest Optimus in Bumblebee sounded perfectly fine, but I dont support the dirty trucks played on Cullen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Okay, so I'm not one of those people who needs them to make Beast Wars exactly what it was before. I'm always open to new ideas, and I'm really looking forwards to seeing how this all plays out.

BUT. My mind went to a place that seemed neat to me, and it might be a way to please everybody.

What if Rise of the Beasts is leading us to a full Beast Wars movie, exactly how we'd all want it to go?

Hear me out. So first off, a year or so ago they were talking about TWO scripts. A bumblebee movie sequel and a Beast Wars film. THIS is the Bumblebee movie. The Beast Wars movie still exists.

The Beast Wars took place millions of years ago, on Earth, between the Predacons and the Maximals, just like before. However, the war ends differently in the movie-verse than the show. It ends with the maximals winning the Beast Wars more conclusively, but unable to return home. They are stuck on Earth, but hide away to prevent the contamination of the time-line.

When we see them in Rise of the Beasts, they are older, rustier, and already been through everything about Beast Wars we came to know. Rise of the Beasts is the story of the Maximal's second war, after they are discovered in hiding on Earth, and their team-up with the Autobots.

The next film is a prequel, the actual Beast Wars movie, and shows how they got to that point. It involves a younger set of Maximals. Maybe they started as more organic, but their organic exterior worn away in time. The actual Beast Wars film involves T-rex megatron, and his band of Predacon bandits.

I think it could work.

• Like Like x 4
  15. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Oh okay. Well then people had better stop using it as a sledgehammer against Perlman, as if Chalk was talking about this announcement, which is what they're already doing now.

• Like Like x 2
  16. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Okay but like I don't need a complete retellling of Beast Wars so "we" is really "you" and whoever agrees. I think organic beast alts in modern day could be a lot of fun. I'd much rather see them explore new stories with a BW theme, similar to how we saw stuff like RiD, Prime, and Animated.

We got our prehistoric Earth story. Let's move on now. What would beasts in the modern era look like. Dunno if it'd carry a whole show, but a team of Maximals exploring urban legends (Bigfoot, Nessie, Chupacabra) only to find out their fellow cybertronians would be cool.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle Constructicon fanatic

News Credits:
    Plus it’s an alternate reality, so my expectations for this movie are different than my expectations for a BW story set in the cartoon universe. If there’s a different voice cast, I’m fine with that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    When the Ahsoka episode of The Mandalorian dropped people asked Ashley Eckstein how she felt about it, or even back when the news broke about Rosario Dawson’s casting. And she said that as much as the character means to people, she knew she wouldn’t play her forever, and gave her full blessing to Dawson.

Chalk did the same when Perlman was cast for POTP. As much as I really do want him back as Primal, Eckstein has a point that a character will live on well past a human’s lifespan. People were rioting about Matthew Lilliard not voicing Shaggy in Scoob, but he wasn’t the original voice of Shaggy either. Yes he was the current voice, but he wasn’t the original. Imagine how many pop culture characters we wouldn’t have today if we kept to just the original actor. All the Scooby characters besides Fred. Maleficent, Captain Hook, Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbledore (er, more or less, bear with me). Yes, those characters’s actors are deceased, but the point is that Lilliard won’t voice Shaggy forever either.

We do have to keep the door open for new actors to put their spin on a role, but I do not oppose some certain legacy characters keeping classic actors as long as possible if the actor can still do it and wants to.

Perlman is a great choice as we’ve all acknowledged. It’s bittersweet to not have Chalk and yes I want Cullen and Chalk together someday. The rest of the Maximals and Predacons I think I can accept different actors as long as they are true to the character. Ian Corlett, Richard Newman, Scott McNeill, etc are all still around and can do it of course, but as long as a new actor was true to them and did a good job, I’d accept different actors.

Not having David Kaye as BW Megs would hurt really badly, though.

• Like Like x 5
  19. HuffR_WFCTX_91135

HuffR_WFCTX_91135 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't either, but It's always a good thing to be inquisitive.

20. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

That was pretty uneccesary. I was using "we" figuratively. I wasn't actually trying to talk for everyone. And I'm perfectly fine if none of that happens as well, I'm down for new ideas.

But even IF what I said were all true, it would STILL involve a lot of new ideas, based around the old theme.

• Like Like x 1