Robots screentime and cgi in Transformers 2022

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MrBoombastiqueFantastique, May 18, 2021.

1. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

MrBoombastiqueFantastique Banned

I wonder how much screentime are the autobots and decepticons going to have in this film and how the cgi will look. I thought for example, the cgi for Pacific Rim Uprising looked kind of inferior to the first one, though it had a smaller budget. And this director, which he seems like a cool dude but he didn't do a big genre film before or one with such a big budget so I wonder how it will look. Travis Knight came from animation and I thought Bumblebee looked great visually though it still didn't feel grand, the Bay films felt grand visually. Like, Bumblebee still felt kind of cheap, though the budget was the smallest. I hope the movie is good storywise but if it looks beautiful is just a win. What do you think? Will the robots have more screentime? Will the cgi look better? I'm not sure how much is a director the reason why cg looks bad or good, thkugh Black Panther looked like a videogame and took me out of it. I love that film, it just looks bad and it had a big budget.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    If they're going "back to basics" with the next Transformers film I could definitely see the robots getting more screentime. Each of the Bayverse sequels had larger and larger set-pieces (Devastator/Demolisher, the Driller, Dinobots/Magnet sequence, Cybertron colliding with Earth, etc.) so I think eliminating such huge CGI spectacles will allot more of the budget towards more robot interactions. Given this film has a budget of around 200 million (70 million more than Bumblebee) I think it's safe to say that the CGI will look as good if not better than that film. I also think keeping the film under or about 2 hours will help in this regard as they'll be less room for "filler" and more time for things actually significant to the story.

• Like Like x 6
  3. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    For the love of God please let them talk in vehicle mode.

• Like Like x 13
  4. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    The CGI in for Earth scenes in Bumblebee looked phenomenal. Maybe the Cybertron scene wasn't on par, but it was also done at the last minute. I still think AOE had the worst CGI out of any live-action film.

• Like Like x 4
  5. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

Oh, I have nothing against it, I thought Bumblebee looked very realistic in a lot of scenes, it just kind of felt cheap to me and yeah, AoE truly has the worst cgi.

6. Xyloto

Xyloto Member

They Bayverse movies didn't even bother to do some of the most obvious things to allow for more robot screen time lol. If the people working on these new movies are actually smart, then they will take advantage of every opportunity to make way for a decent amount of robot screen time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

I'm a bit confused about which movie you mean since there's three in development and I can't remember their release dates, but as for how I'm worried about how the CGI and robots will look for them -

Josh Cooley - not worried at all, he's directed animation before specifically Toy Story 4 which was fucking BEAUTIFUL but also had Disney money but also he won an Oscar recently so I have no doubt he'll be just fine money-wise.

Steven Caple Jr./Angel Manuel Soto - like OP said, they seem like great filmmakers and storytellers - Steven Caple Jr. has made some great stuff before, and Angel Manuel Soto we've only got one interview to go off but he sounded passionate and like he knows what to do. But also like OP said, neither have had experience with animation or big CGI characters before. You have to get the scaling right, which means adjusting your shots for the framing of the Transformers, which means accounting for the size of an imaginary robot that you can't REALLY get a specific point on, scale-wise. And that's just one of the problems you'll face on-set, not even including pre-production and conceptual phases as well as post.

Usually in these situations the studios will bring on other unit directors or people to assist with the animation aspect, but it's a double edged sword because sometimes (and I totally see Paramount doing this with directors who haven't had experience with animation before, especially Angel Manuel Soto) the studio can just sorta lock the director out of the animation room, metaphorically and/or literally, and completely mess with it. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen, and honestly I'm sure both of them are willing to work together WITH the animation studio as opposed to just giving them orders and telling them to do it, but again that's all dependent on if Paramount is willing to invest the money, resources, and TIME to ensuring these movies turn out well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

I meant by 2022 as the Steven Caple Jr. one. That's the only Transformers movie coming that year.

9. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

You're right my mistake, I thought the Cooley film was coming out 2022.

10. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

2023 for the Cooley film.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Realistic CGI is always ideal, but I'd honestly be fine with less photorealistic effects if it means more screentime and personality. The Cybertron sequence in Bumblebee was fantastic, even though the effects were a bit video gamey. A great story can save subpar effects, but great effects can't save a subpar story. Thankfully though, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Something like the Guardians of the Galaxy movies (among many other examples) proves that you can have a fantastic story and a high standard for special effects.

I totally agree with this. The magnet sequence in AOE especially feels like a poor use of effects. It's not just the ship they have to animate, it's also the thousands of background elements like cars and buildings being sucked up. Which would have been justified if that scene was more thrilling, but it honestly kind of drags. It's weird to think that something like Tom Cruse dangling from a rope in the first Mission Impossible is a million times more tense than a spaceship sucking up a city. That might seem like a weird comparison, but my point is that thills and excitement come from storytelling more than giant set pieces. Big set pieces absolutely can be exciting, but it seems weird to throw so much budget at something like the magnet scene when there are other aspects of the movie that are lacking, and could have benefited from that budget. They could have even devoted it to giving the Dinobots more buildup and screentime (they were the spectacle people showed up to see).

• Like Like x 3
  12. big420atx

big420atx Member

I think talking cars might be too much for the audience to handle.

• Like Like x 1
  13. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

But they can handle a talking tree even tho I want transformers to talk in robot mode to see their expressions.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Appleseed

Appleseed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screentime of Robots - 80 percent
    Human - 20 percent

• Like Like x 3
  15. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Hollywood:
    dumbass.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    The best cgi: The original michael bay trilogy
    The worst cgi: age of extinction
    I also like how it looked in the last knight I felt it went back to that sweet spot between ROTF and DOTM
    Bumblebee had good CGI too

17. the Wraith

the Wraith Banned

The humans are still going to be the primary focus of the new movies.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    why ?
    :banghead: :cry 

• Like Like x 1
  19. the Wraith

the Wraith Banned

There's nothing that leads me to believe it will be different.

• Like Like x 3
  20. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    Unfortunately i can't disagree:( 

• Like Like x 1