Robots in Disguise #7 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Maverick Hunter Christian, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
  2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do think that's logical and should either be worked in to some degree or explained why it isn't so we know the senior leadership has at least thought of it before going in a different direction.

3. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Weakest issue of the series. Interesting read, felt too short (because they stretched it out so long), and it didn't leave me wanting to read the next issue.

As someone said, this was Spotlight: Wheeljack 2. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This was the weakest issue so far, which I feel dirty for saying because it's been such an awesome series. If anything though, I think this issue was written to set up a lot of story points for the future. For one,
    I think the Time Machine is going to play a big role in what we've already seen in issue #1.
    I eagerly await the next issue regardless.

5. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    I enjoyed this nice to see Metalhawk do more than talk.

6. inomuiro

inomuiro Well-Known Member

I liked the issue, for me it was a strong improvement over the previous one. It didn't leave me particulary excited or anxious to know what happens next, but it was an enjoyable read, and I was very glad we got some Metalhawk's development and backstory
    Also, Metalhawk helping Wheeljack and fighting was awesome, didn't see that coming!

Starscream and Metalhawk's interactions were interesting, too.

I agree... and these are only two of the characters whose ways of adapting to this new world I would like to see explored. So far, it feels to me like the main storyline in certain issues has been stretched too thin while that space could be used to show us more characters coping with the new world, to make more plots advance, or at least giving us more hints of what's cooking up
    beside suddenly BOOM time machine

If Quintessons are eventually going to show up as the common enemy to Autobots, Decepticons and NAILs, to all Cybertronians... I won't lie, I will shed tears of joy!

7. Baron Prime

Baron Prime Well-Known Member

I was glad they never followed through with the Quintessons from Spotlight:Wheelie and I shudder that they might be going to use them. Always preferred the Primus angle better that mass produced warriors. Enjoying both titles immensley though, The longer they stay away from a new war the better. Nice to see Garnak is still alive. Sky Byte = Fantastic.

8. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:

I agree with Tekno, he's always been the scout more than a spy (That'd be Punch/Counterpunch) I would agree he has emotional intelligence though, but to have foresight to oversee the reconstruction and management of a war torn society that not only comprises of bitter enemies but of long gone fellow Cybertronians wary of war, well that's really something above his capabilities for now. Can he learn and be better? Possibly, but something like this requires skills and sometimes underhandedness that Bumblebee might not want or be capable of resorting to.

Nice to see them make a good impression again on the CBR reviews. I'm surprised though that MTMTE doesn't seem to hold their interest as much as this title does.

9. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

This was an okay issue. Not the best, but pretty good...which is my basic reaction to RID as a whole.

Finally, Metalhawk gets to do something! It was great to see him get some page time and some character development for once. I was surprised when he admitted to being an Autobot back in the day, and proved to have some decent combat skills. I thought he had always been neutral and a non-fighter.

I like that they brought up Drift and his connection to Turmoil. Drift's Decepticon past is something that's been completely glossed over ever since he appeared, even though it would make sense that at least some of the Autobots would naturally have trouble trusting him. We had a few snarky lines from Bumblebee about him in AHM, but overall the Autobots have been unusually accepting of an ex-Con who was known for his brutality. Of course, they all think he's dead now, so I'm not sure if anything will come of it unless the two series meet up again.

I have mixed feelings on the little square panels. On one hand I think it's fine to experiment with different panel layouts, but the simplicity and uniformity of the squares got old after a while. It was fine for this issue, but it's not something I would want to see frequently.

As for Wheeljack's injury...was this another example of the artist taking the damage further than the writer had intended?
    That blast looked like it blew his entire torso out
    , but he barely acts like he's hurt at all. Kind of annoying, especially considering the events of MTMTE 6.
    Entire chest blown away by a super-powerful Con, a-ok. Stray rivet to the noggin, BOOMSPLATTERGUTSDEAD.
    Unless Wheeljack got some kind of serious battle upgrades, I'm calling bullshit.

Same here!

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. Wheeljack's giant armor plates were distracting, and it made it hard to figure out his anatomy in a few of the panels. Shell-former isn't a good look for you, 'Jack.

Bah, who knows what those mainstream comic guys are thinking. They're not one of us! Hiiisssssss! :wink: 

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  10. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

Dear IDW

Don`t do the little tiny box`s thing again, thanks

this was an ok issue . its pretty clear what is the better series of the two although i do like them both , im looking forward to the annual .

11. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    :lol  We need more mainstream guys to make sure IDW continues to publish these things. The reported sales by Diamond leave much to be desired :p  Who knows, someone might get converted, and become a TF fan!

12. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Who's gonna fix Wheeljack? Perceptor and Ratchet are out in space, perhaps a nail or cr chamber?

13. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixit (he's in issue #3).

14. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Pah! Wheeljack will fix himself!

15. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Okay, I seriously don't see how this issue is the worst of the bunch so far. That "honor" goes to 2 (or 3?) issues ago when a whole slew of characters were slaughtered wholesale by an unhinged Prowl.

16. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    ^ Yeah I agree I think people just compare it to MTMTE waaay to much. Don't get me wrong I love the crew of the lost light just as much as the next TF fan (seriously Whirl = Uber cool). Their two diffrent books that help to build the same world and I think people are just a tad disapointed after they read about Rodimus Inc. so they downplay RID without even knowing it.

17. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Very solid issue, I think way better than the last. It took me a second to realize the WJ small panels were in the present while the rest was a flashback.

Goodness, I can't remember much from the Drift comic, gotta reread those or dig up the wiki pages. Also, what was the deal with the dialogue on page 14 between Bumblebee and Broadside, did I miss something?

Art is so much better as the faces are less creepy. Agree though that some of WJ's proportions were off.

Great one shot, but now let's get a few more overarching themes/issues. Maybe let's check in with the Decepticons?

18. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    The sales are actually pretty good for non-Marvel/DC books. Sadly, with this market, I don't think they'll be able to really move up in rank.

19. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

If they continue to put out good, well written and drawn books they will slowly start to creep up.

I wont hold my breath, but I will hope for it

20. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Yeah Broadside was a captive or rescuer on Turmoils ship in Spotlight so he may have seen some of Turmoils handy work first hand. I agree the art was pretty good this issue, I like the idea of guest artist on this book. We really could use some overarching stuff as well as some multiple prespectives in one book, otherwise it kinda feels like a series of spotlights.