Robot Paradise RP-01/01B Acoustic Wave (Formerly FansToys FT-02) G1 Soundwave & Cassette

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

The fact that this sells at $250 with three cassettes separate is a joke. $120 for the pack. That's $40 a piece.

Figures of that size used to range $120 before certain companies realized we were dumb enough to pay these kinds of prices. Man, are they taking advantage of people now.

Ironically, I wanted to post in here about how much I like their Ravage, and was kinda hoping they'd sell them separate. But not at those price points.

The Takara MP is just fine. It's never been perfect, but I honestly have no where near the bother so many people have with it. And if this is the only way options are going to come about, I'll keep mine and be very happy.

• Like Like x 5
  2. ferrari35

ferrari35 Well-Known Member

Tapes look odd, lazerbeak is ok for the price its an easy pass for me.

3. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Hmm. On one hand, yes. On the other hand, if you went the Takara route from a US seller, MP Soundwave was like 180 bucks and the cassettes were like 60 for each 2-pack... 10 years ago. Plus Legends class figures are $40 nowadays, so a 3 pack of cassettes with what looks like pretty crazy engineering seems okay to me relative to the generally insane state of the market now.

Tesla 2.0 costs just as much, has fewer options, and doesn't include a whole-ass other fully-realized transforming character. I'm not stoked with the pricing on this, but I'm not super angry either. When it comes down to it, the official MP Soundwave is a perfectly viable option and it's readily available. This isn't the same kind of captive market as people hoping for their first Perceptor... almost all of us who are getting this are looking to trade up from our official MP.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

It doesn’t wow me. 250 is an abject effing rip off.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Gaiaknight

Gaiaknight Well-Known Member

well got in a preorder at tfsource

6. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes! And I hope it spurs Ocular Max to do the Autobot cassettes...

• Like Like x 7
  7. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm a fool. I pre-ordered a second set at the Dojo.

Of course not that big of a fool. We all know this thing is gonna sell out by the morning. I feel bad for the folks who are actually, you know, sleeping like responsible people.

• Like Like x 1
  8. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You've just earned +1 to your Gen-X street cred, my dude. :cool: 

• Like Like x 5
  9. DiabloET

DiabloET Active Member

Ravage comes with Lazerbeak and Rumble

• Like Like x 2
  10. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just don't bother stating facts anymore, people don't care. This stuff is becomming way too expensive for me. It's supposed to be a hobby. It's too bad that people don't care about the prices. There is always Legends stuff and Hasbro stuff. The MP version is pretty good still.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

Ravage looks surprisingly good. Rumble and Frenzy...not so much. But they're still better than the Takara versions. The colors on Rumble (toon) look way off. Like, way way off. Like, 'how-do-you-make-toys-for-this-long-and-still-fuck-up-this-badly' off.

Kind of a mixed bag with the tapes - Laserbeak looks solid. Ravage looks to be an upgrade to both Takara's and MMC's (personally not a fan), but I don't think these versions of Rumble and Frenzy look better than MMC's.

Here's hoping FT, er, ROBOT PARADISE (fuck's sake...) will release a four pack with Buzzsaw, Ratbat, Overkill, and Slugfest, because I kind of feel like it might be our only chance for a decent representation of the latter two at this scale.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Easterburn

Easterburn Your friendly neighborhood Digibasher

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I am actually Gen-Z but grow up with 80s music and movies because my father. God I feel old right now

• Like Like x 3
  13. Daedelus

Daedelus Know sacrifice, know victory

I don't have an MP Soundwave + Crew yet, but $370 prices me out. I'll wait for Deformation Space.

• Like Like x 3
  14. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    Looks great, only thing is I got to preorder the cassette pack as well since I'm only interested in Lazerbeak.:( 

15. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

That guy stated opinions, not facts.

And you know what people say about opinions. They're like assholes, everyone has one.

I do personally care about prices, but FT was leaving money on the table which was encouraging scalping. Scalping seems to be less of an issue at the new price point - you can still buy FT Quietus or the bugs if you want them. They raised the price, and the FT shit cooled off enough that actual collectors are the only ones buying now (so it seems).

Also, I'm not trying to be an apologist but the TF market is expensive right now. TT Starscream is like $270 at American retail. Part of it is probably more profit going to FT, but raw materials and shipping are still also more expensive than they were before the pandemic (although some raw material prices have started coming down again in recent months).

Also, let's not forget that FT is absolutely PUMPING product out at this point. They may have had to increase the size of their R&D or something to hit this pace.

And finally, we don't have access to FTs books. Any criticism about these being "too expensive" is purely a matter of opinion. Not facts.. Neither you nor I know what these figures cost to produce or distribute. Let's keep it real, lmao.

• Like Like x 5
  16. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    wow this looks good , wow this thread has moved fast how pages did i have to go back :lol  and wow that thread title is long now :lol 

either ft have rebranded or they are worried about this one ....incoming takara soundwave?

• Like Like x 4
  17. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, I believe that some opinions are facts, sometimes. Babies don't have opinions. but perhaps the increase in plastic costs are increasing the prices. Some opinions can be seen as truth to some and false to others.

18. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Interim Head Warehouse Spelunker

News Credits:
    This hobby is definitely expensive but it always has been to some degree. To be fair to FT on this release, originally the Takara MP-13, which came only with Laserbeak, retailed for about $190 in 2013. Legends figures retail now upwards of $30, so the tapes are pretty comparable.

The price only dropped when Hasbro was mass-producing figures for Toys R Us and Walmart for the US. It took a significant increase in volume for the cost reduction and they only produced a limited amount of characters. To fill out the rest of your shelf, you had to pay the Takara price. Fanstoys is producing nowhere near those Hasbro numbers to bring down the price.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  19. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I’d argue the cassettes are core class, not 3p legends. Comparing them to things like newage and MS is hard to take seriously.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ramjet555

Ramjet555 Well-Known Member

The Takara two packs for the tapes retailed around $60. $30 each for two tapes of lesser quality. Years ago.

Soundwave comes with accessories to make him into toy version and Frenzy. MP Screamer is around the same size, quality of figure, and similar accessories. And is $25 more.

If your issue is "Masterpiece collecting is more expensive!" then sure, a lot of the figures are, MP-44 et. al.

But if your issue is just "FansToys is taking advantage of people!!!!" when this is honestly one of the more reasonably priced offerings lately...then that's on you and your bias

• Like Like x 3