Robosen Optimus $699.99 Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by blastoff2334, Apr 9, 2021.

?

Do you think this new product could be stepping away from what we love about Transformers as toys?

1. Yes

97 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. No

327 vote(s)
    77.1%
  1. Goose24

Goose24 Well-Known Member

So is today’s sale going through Hasbro Pulse or Robosen? Despite the efforts by some to shit on this, I’m thinking of getting one.

2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Sorry, left out a word lol.

After ordering from Robosen directly. It was $799 there.

3. skwonderfactory

skwonderfactory Me Scott like Transformers!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. JPrime

JPrime Michael Bay Assassin

So not on Hasbro Pulse today? :( 

5. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    It didn’t actually show up either place

6. jimmyh

jimmyh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I can't see myself ever spending money on anything to store it in the box.

Whether it was intended to be a display item or not, that's what it's going to be. No one is going to spend all their time playing with this thing.

7. jimmyh

jimmyh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I speak only for myself. But Lewin Atlas, like the MP-10 he is based on (or shamelessly copied from, depending on your sensibilities) was really a classic design that still holds up. Not fancy, toon accurate, or even well built. But it is very visually appealing. And he commands attention as soon as anyone walks in the room.

This Robosen thing, by contrast, looks clunky from the front, and ugly from most other angles. I understand; compromises were made to get a walking and transforming robot. And kudos to them for even doing it. But it's not for me. The only reason I threw my 2 cents into this is in the hopes that someone heeds my warning about buying an expensive novelty item whose novelty is not going to last long. A year or two from now when someone sees that very clunky looking Optimus over in the corner that you can't show off because the batteries are dead (or worse, the app is no longer supported on the latest droidfruit)...

• Like Like x 1
  8. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nobody is missing the point. It’s just not for everyone.
    Everyone is just so antsy to protect there own agenda here….kinda sad.

I think it’s incredibly neat, but that price point and the way it looks isn’t selling me on one.
    once the novelty of the self transformation wears off there isn’t much you can do with this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I mean, you can make this argument for regular TFs too. A big difference though is that you can have this guy sitting on your shelf and I imagine, you'd be able to control it anytime you'd want with your phone (without getting up). That's a novelty that'll never get old (IMO).

I'm waiting for things to advance to the point where you can have a Robosen Optimus and Megatron engage in some sort of choreographed fight scene.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Buy it, don't buy it, store it, whatever - just know that if you plan to have this standing powered off on a shelf for display, that isn't going to happen without a stand/bracing of some kind.

Unless you like it displayed in truck mode, then all you need is a block under it to keep it from flopping down in the middle.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  11. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was he on Hasbro Pulse for like, one second, them sold out again???

That he doesn't stay in bot mode when off is a bit of a bummer... But I do have the old MP-01 that could stand beside him, I guess... Well... Of I could get a pre-order that is...

12. Adroc

Adroc Collector

I dont think this went live at the stated time..i had been refreshing the site minutes before and after the stated time of 1pm EST and did not once see it being available.

13. NTPrime

NTPrime Well-Known Member

False equivalence. People use phones every day and know they must be on. Fewer people work or have hobbies in manufacturing or engineering, where the power state of a servo motor affects whether a system will behave as expected, much less own a plastic man who will dive off his shelf without his juice while the other plastic men who stand on their own just fine watch in horror.

Agreed. As nice as the collector's box looks it's not what I wanted to display. The hours of playtime will be dwarfed by the years of shelf presence. At least the box looks nice. With a little energon and a lot of luck the fancy outer box might not even be destroyed in shipping.

The good news is the video review in the beginning does show truck mode maintaining itself while powered off with only minor correction. So truck mode on a shelf might be somewhat viable. Otherwise a third party stand for him would be very cool.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jimmyh

jimmyh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The other thing I don't like about this:
    When this was unveiled a few years ago, it was much, much, much cheaper. I find it a little too convenient that as soon as Hasbro gets involved, it quadruples in price. But it's selling out. So they clearly know their business. I wonder if they will sell the Scrapper they had previously also.

15. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, some of that extra cost is going to Mr Cullen!

• Like Like x 2
  16. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Shartimus prime posted that today was not correct. As such, I was set to preorder, given time to think about it I’ve changed my mind on it.

17. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Can't wait for mine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally understand and respect people's critiques.

Meanwhile, my simple, apparently easily amused self is just over here thinking about how I still enjoy my childhood Magic Mike and Sonic Sam robots that shoot smoke and spin around and flash pretty lights and how this is like the ultimate evolution of that kind of a toy but for adult collectors. :lol 

I can't afford it and wouldn't justify it to myself even if I could. But I mean... Optimus dances and says I'm his friend...

• Like Like x 1
  19. User_124141

User_124141 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope they improve the app, because the buttons are using the evergreen design?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. NTPrime

NTPrime Well-Known Member

Don't count on it, those are already highly produced and not placeholder. They've got the evergreen design on the box too.

• Like Like x 1