Robosen Optimus $699.99 Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by blastoff2334, Apr 9, 2021.

?

Do you think this new product could be stepping away from what we love about Transformers as toys?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No

229 vote(s)
    78.2%
  1. GX9901DoubleX

GX9901DoubleX Just a passing through rider...

I think they should try to milk the crap out of this Optimus and not try doing other characters until the price could be lowered significantly. I preordered Optimus but would not consider other characters even if they are in the same price range as their T9.

It would be pretty cool to have like 5 or 6 Robosen Autobots and tell them to “Transform and roll out”, and watch them all do just that at the same time though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

When I asked them this eve, they said they wouldn't be shipping outside the US, due to high demand. There's now a notice on their site saying they're reviewing orders.

3. franpincho

franpincho Well-Known Member

A Bluetooth speaker enabled Soundwave sounds like a no-brainer and it will sell a gazillion units.

Just don't half ass the sound, get JBL on board or something (Bose would be a dream but $5,000).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    Really hope they honor my order. Suddenly feeling a lot less optimistic now. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I would call you a twat and tell you to go fuck yourself, but:

1. I have no idea who you are or what your problem is, and
    2. I don't really give a shit what you think

So, I'll just put you on ignore instead and forget you exist - not that I knew you existed in the first place, mind you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    There isn't, at least a bipedal one... And Atlas is out of the question lol.

7. Jumble Cashback

Jumble Cashback Earth Germ

News Credits:
    Right, apologies if this seems a little scatterbrained, but I think it merits a thread.

So, as many of you will no doubt be aware, Hasbro have recently unveiled this incredible self-transforming Optimus Prime robot that speaks and lights up and poses itself and responds to voice commands and rolls about in vehicle mode and basically makes all your dreams come true. It’s been created in partnership with Robosen, a robotics company that you could be forgiven for not having heard of, given that their YouTube channel has under 1K subscribers and their social media accounts are similarly underpopulated.

Hasbro’s preorders for this incredible machine (priced at an eye-watering but not TOO surprising $699) sold out in about 6 hours, I believe. I was a little crestfallen as I’d only just been shown the promo video, which went up on the 9th (two days before) and was pretty keen on the idea of getting one. So my partner, seeing my disappointment, signed up for Robosen’s update e-mails just in case. Lo and behold, a few hours later, she got an e-mail from them, explaining that they would be taking pre-orders for their own limited supply of the item through Robosen.com and robosenstore.com. The former led to a preorder option that was flagged as ‘US only’ (no good for us, we’re in the UK), but the latter led to a preorder page that did not seem to discriminate. So I dutifully paid the $100 preorder price plus the $71 postage fee (which seemed a little odd to be asked for at the pre-order stage). I was in a hurry, not wanting to miss the opportunity to nab one and, sure enough, within an hour of my paying, both domains listed the item as Out of Stock.

But I grew curious. For a couple of reasons. Firstly because Robosenstore.com doesn’t really come up when you google Robosen. Second because Robosen.com doesn’t seem to mention Robosenstore.com anywhere. Then because the PayPal payment was marked as being sent to ‘Robosen Tech Inc.’, when all the trademarking on Robosen.com is for ‘Robosen Robotics Inc.’. Also, I Googled Robosen Tech Inc, and got nothing to suggest that’s a name they trade under. Yet the ‘official’ Robosen YouTube channel and Facebook account, who were the sources of most of the earliest promo videos both list ‘Robosenstore.com’ as a way to order the item. But again, both of these have pretty low numbers of subscribers/members. On top of that, the pre-order listing on Robosen.com requested that, if you wanted to order outside the US, you should send them an e-mail to arrange it. Why wouldn’t they just link to Robosenstore.com, if that’s an established international trading arm?

So I’m a little concerned. On the one hand, I can’t find anything concrete to suggest that Robosenstore.com is a scam (and if they are, they’ve done an amazing job of setting up convincingly polished doppelgänger sites very quickly), but I also can’t really find much to verify them. The domain seems to have been registered very recently and they have very little in terms of an established and authenticated media presence.

Also, this has all come and gone so quickly. It seems like there was no fanfare about this pretty extravagant product. I haven’t even seen much about it on here. You’d think it’d be the kind of thing that’d be teased for months. So what’s the deal? Are Robosen just some pretty small company that aren’t great with marketing, or is something not right? Either way, Robosenstore.com have got $171 out of me. Here’s hoping I’ll have a bit more to go on by the time that hefty second payment is due.

So what do you all think about this? Have you ordered one? If you missed it, are you annoyed there wasn’t a bit more forewarning? And do you know anything about Robosen that might clear up my concerns about the ordering system? I await your thoughts...

• Like Like x 3
  8. Subdurmal

Subdurmal Well-Known Member

I need to change my pants.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sqlwizard

Sqlwizard Well-Known Member

Dont know anything about the company..got my preorder in with hasbro..excited to get it..prime is the only one i ever imagine getting..it is somewhat of a novelty but bad ass..looking forward to it..best of luck to those that missed it maybe they will reissue..scalpers suck..peace

• Like Like x 1
  10. Krumbbs1976

Krumbbs1976 Well-Known Member

Looks like robosen may have oversold.. seems like they have a hard number they can produce.. Screenshot_20210412-203627_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

I did some digging - it looks like their official page shows robosenstore.com in some posts so it looks to be legit!

12. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

13. Sqlwizard

Sqlwizard Well-Known Member

14. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    My god... this thing is in very high demand!

15. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    With the amount of interest that this has, I can see Hasbro just straight up buying Robosen. It's a unique product so Hasbro could easily just take over the auto-transforming market and only produce Transformers-related content.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Krumbbs1976

Krumbbs1976 Well-Known Member

I don't see too many bots they can do without reverting to the basic 1983 or 84 transformations using the tech they have now.. even if every bot was 700.00.. ya they can get away with this prime.. but who's gonna get a self transforming cliffjumper?? I got my order in on this one but after seeing there other offerings only other one that looks close to good is the bulldoser... also scale would be nonexistent cause size would be the same or bigger for every bot.. the motors barely fit in prime. Prolly why he is 19 inches tall.

17. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

Knowing Hasbro, if this becomes more successful then they realize, they're gonna want to have other popular characters go through the same treatment. Prepare for Robosen Bumblebee and Robosen Grimlock!

• Like Like x 2
  18. temptingtoys

temptingtoys Well-Known Member

Guess that stimulus money was well spent.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    Robosen accepting orders again now. Probably by the time I've written this it'll have changed again. These guys are constantly changing their minds. Which is probably fine as it's clearly just a couple of guys who have come up with a great product and don't have a history in running businesses.

Edit: "US only" wording has vanished too!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  20. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

This is a valid concern, and not one I have a clear answer for.

I can tell you that I looked at robosen.com and that I spoke with them by email last night using [email protected].

The messages were short and sweet, but they should at least be able to tell you if that other website belongs to them.

I would find it less likely that a scam site would be denying me a sale.

• Like Like x 1