Robocop remake

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MTME, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yes.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I will give the remake this: the "he thinks he's in control but isn't" could lead to interesting twists, like maybe the fact that Murphy DID die and Robocop is just a shadow of his personality/brain in place of a normal "beep boop" AI. He could find out the truth and maybe even find his own remains, taking the humanity/robot angle even further.

That, and the focus group picking the design looks almost self-referencial, especially since the original design is one of them. It could show how focus groups completely fail at their job because they lack the ability to pick up on subtlties and demand the same generic unoriginality that the media is saturated with, which the new Robocop suit is.

But I'm probably giving the movie to much credit.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

+1

4. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

If I had used your method of trailer interpretation before The Phantom Menace came out, but had never gone to see it, I would have assumed it was the most awesome movie ever made.

:sly: 

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

It's pretty freaking easy to infer what direction they are going in.

Not to mention that the trailer isn't the only thing I'm going on here ...

6. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    If you think about the stuff that was r-rated in the 80s... this is today PG-13 actually... what you see today as r-rated is often such a sick shit... I ask myself who wants to see these things? Often they don't even add to the story, they are just for shock value. I like when things are not shown and left to your imagination. After all the story itself should get it's point across and not the visuals. People these days put too much effort in visuals which leave the simple minded people in awe for a while and give them probably a moment of fulfilment when leaving the cinema. But after a while you notice, that you hardly remember the story... why? because the story was bad.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It's been years, but a PG13 movie from 1993 is a lot different from a PG13 movie today. Besides excessive cursing and display of blood, a PG13 movie today is essentially a r-rated movie twenty years ago.

8. Wolfguard

Yeah, but why even make the comparison at all? I get where you're coming from. I didn't like what I was seeing when NuBSG was being made. I liked the original and just didn't get why they wanted to make such drastic changes. But I watched it a few times when it came out, and you know what?

I STILL didn't like it.

BUT, I do understand why they did what they did. Times have changed and they went for a story and characterization based on what they felt would SELL to a modern audience as well as appeal to fans of the original series. For me, I just don't like how they did certain things, i.e. it's not my type of story + I'm not too keen on how the characters were written. But that's not really a comparison, it's like vs don't like.

:dj 

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Many people at the time did, it was a new star wars and the trailers looked awesome. There were huge lines for it premiere day and many came in costume. Then they watched 5 minutes of Jar Jar......

10. Wolfguard

Oh, I was there on opening day. Everyone around me was talking and sounded so happy before the movie began. They clapped when the music started, and some guy was even having a nerd-gasm going "yes, yes, yes" when battle droids were being deployed. Then the movie was over and the one thing I remember very clearly was the amount of silence...

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Good times, I was a freshman in college. I was pretty baked watching it the first time at this little single-screen theater across the street from my apartment, and thought it was pretty damn good. Then I caught a second viewing sober...

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Glad I saw Phantom Menace when I was a kid and didn't give a damn about what other people thought or how it ranked with the decades-old originals.

... hmm, I ought to keep that mentality...

13. Wolfguard

LMFAO!

:lol 

14. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
  15. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I was there on opening day and my silence was halfway through the crawl thinking "Wait... is this a Star Wars opening crawl, or freaking CNN with all the politics?"

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just saw the trailer for this the other day, and I have to say.. I am rather impressed..

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No Robocop movie will ever match the original in terms of creativity. I think trying to replicate the satire and social commentary of it would turn out worse than what we are getting with this new film.

I can't fault Hollywood for wanting to try and make a new Robocop franchise. It is a cool concept and people love the character. Hopefully it is a cool action movie at the very least.

All that aside, I am going to see this movie regardless if it is good or bad, solely for the reason that Michael Keaton is in it. I haven't seen him in much but I loved him in "My Life" and "Desperate Measures".

18. sh002

sh002 Banned

Pretty cool response from Weller.

19. Wolfguard

Hahaha, exactly THIS. It was such a ridiculous movie on so many levels. I wish I had only seen the trailer.

------

I totally agree with his analysis of the original Robocop, but the title of the link is a bit disingenuous. He only talked about aspects of why the original was great. He didn't really compare the two movies.

:sly: 

20. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    You and me bro. You and me.

Difference is, though, I watched the hell out of it and kept thinking it was the best movie ever until around episode iii came out and I got bored since I was only in 2nd grade.

Skip foreword to the 3D re-release of the movie. Now, I haven't seen any Star Wars films for round seven years, and I went in with high expectations that it's going to be the same.

Nope. :banghead:  childhood ruined.

Meanwhile, RoboCop stayed exactly the same no matter how or when I watched it. I hope they don't mess up this one.