Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman working on Transformers: Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Vince, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Well-Known Member

I'll never understand why TPTB will not let a TF show run more than three years. We the fans, of any age, are not fickle and likely to leave.

I'm curious about the Prime subtitle and wonder if this show is going to be populated with Primes from the TF multiverse. Time Travel, Universe jumping plot devices. For fans of Prime figs this toy line could prove fun and get me back into full on TF buying again.

The movie figs do nothing for me, don't like the line as a whole.

2. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Transformers Animated was written not unlike a fan fic and animated visually in a manner so unusual as to not perhaps appeal to a really broad audience - I suspect the reason it didn't get another season is because that 'look' had run it's course. The interest in the toys had dried up and the shows never really succeeded internationally so it was not really something Hasbro could hang it's whole line on for a further year.

And it might meet Japanese and American's tastes but the international market responded badly to that Paul Dini style - it was to extreme to have a broad appeal.... It might work to some extent with DC Superheroes - it might even help compensate for their innate rediculousness. but somehow it's a style that works less well with robots - especially when it's a show that has Humans in it that look like zombies. The scenes that feature robots only don't tend to knock me out of my suspension of disbelief - but as soon as a Zombie child shows up I get creeped out. I'd not be terribly surprised if Animated leaked viewers a lot especially as the show got increasing bizarre.

Personally I'm not that bothered about any media so it does not really have an effect on me- i'd buy the toys regardless - but I can't help wonder if even with that visual style or some variation of it - if the show had been a little better recieved with out the Supervillan sillyness it had in it.

It suited Hasbro to run such an experiment as they obviously wanted something as different as possible from the Live Action Movie style.

And I guess if they are going to keep flogging the same 'ol horse by giving us endless iterations of selected MTMTE characters. then the only way they can do that is to keep changing the visual style of both the TV shows and the toys.

So I'd be very surprised if they did a show that looked like Animated again at least until around 2013-2015.

In the past they refreshed the line by changing the gimics - I'm guessing that they are pulling back a little bit from the gimics (probably due to cost reasons) and instead changing the visual style.

I'd guess that whatever the 2010/2011 show looks like it will be something that is partially unlike the Movieverse and different enough to Animated so that they don't seem like they are selling the same stuff twice.

The videogame's idea of a prequel addresses those points quite well so I hope that is the idea they go with as prequels also mean no humans - but somehow I doubt we're that lucky.

And we will probably have to tolerate human infestations again.

If the show is set on Earth though and is a rehash of themes seen in G1 / RID / Armada and so on then I'd feel I was just being sold the same stuff again in a new shiny box.

At least a prequel is something that has been less often covered. I guess we will see. but I know that personally I think 'Animation' is bes given a rest for a while and it's time for a crack at CGI again.

If I find out the new show is 2D then I'll probably just ignore it completely as Mostly have all the other non CGI shows.

3. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Animated wasn't "Paul Dini style." Not even "Bruce Timm style."

-airfox

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to know of whose ass RedAlert pulled his info out.

First of all, TFA didn't get a third season because Hasbro was already working on a new series for their own channel since early 2009 or even earlier as far as we know, according to reliable fonts such as cartoon staff themselves CN wanted a 4 season but Hasbro said they couldn't support it, and even during rerun times in reeeeally bad timeslots it still had pretty good ratings.

About international markets? As far as I'm concerned, here in Brazil it's impossible to find any toys on shelves other than Blackarachnia and Ratchet and CN does marathons of it all the time, which is surprising considering the dub was pure crap.

5. Garimu

Garimu -Custom User Title-

Oookay. Not going to touch this one, nop.

Ok ok, you just wait there. WTF?! I know of a girl from Argentina that keeps saying people over there started talking and caring again about Transformers because of Animated. And here in my country, as in the same case as Brazil, the only toys you can find on shelves are pretty much Blackarachnia and Ratchet.

...You... you have not listened to the Colombian (rest of Latin America's) dub (3rd season), have you? *cringes* I'd take the Brazilian dub over that utter crap of a "dub" anyday.

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Man, we don't even get marathons of it in the country it came from!

7. airfox

News Credits:
    QFT!

Horrible, HORRIBLE dub. The dub on the first two seasons wasn't good, but on the third one it's abysmal.

-airfox

8. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Same deal here, lackluster Season 2 but DAMN, Season 3 is nuts, voice-actors change for every episode, all Decepticons get some damned weird modulation in their voices... and don't even get me started on Blackarachnia voiced BY A MAN!

9. AntiSperglord

AntiSperglord Member

I think this is wonderful news. Orci and Kurtzman are knowledgeable about Transformers mythology (as they were about Star Trek's canon) and in this case they're not even being saddled with that clown of a director JJ Abrams or a strike. That the show will be CGI is even better, as it's apparently otherwise impossible to get a traditionally animated Transformers cartoon on TV without it being seriously tainted by or being outright anime. Of course the show may end up being shitty CGI like Cybertron or whatever, but I'm willing to remain optimistic, because with any luck the success of the movies will continue to push the franchise away from that direction.

Anime is objectively terrible, it needs to go away.

10. matsuri

matsuri Sith Decepticon

Agree too!

11. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry, but knowledgeable? The guys who put no-name characters like Blackout, Barricade and Bonecrusher into the 2007 movie instead of more known Bots and Cons? The guys who re-imagined Soundwave as the chittering skeletal horror that only became Frenzy due to fan uproar? The guys who know TFs so well, that the characters they created for two movies all have got the character development of a thrown brick? The people who thought Bumblebee should not talk and should be a huge muscle car instead of a small convertible?

The reason Star Trek became even close to the original was due to there being a third writer on the team, and even so the typical Orci-Kurtzmann plotholes plague that script as bad as they did their other movies.

12. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I'm neither excited or hopeful about this news. Don't quite get the baseless justifications some are putting into these two as far as confidence goes.

13. airfox

News Credits:
    I don't consider myself an Orci+Kurtzman apologist, but geez, IMO you're really off the mark there.

1) It's generally believed the new, "no-name" characters were in the movies as cannon fodder. Would you have preferred they to off in movie one the likes of Soundwave, Shockwave, Skywarp and Thundercracker?

2) The writers aren't responsible for how Frenzy looked. They're responsible (in part) for how he acted, and IMO they got it rightish if we consider movie Frenzy a "G1 Soundwave lite."

3) Character development is indeed partly their fault, but with such a huge cast, did you honestly expected them to develop every bot and con in the movie? I only expected character development for Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream.

4) Was the Bumblebee not talking their idea? IIRC they campaigned during development of movie one so the Autobots and Decepticons would talk, seeing as one of the producers was against the Transformers talking.

5) Bumblebee being a Camaro wasn't their decision. It was Bay's, GM's or whoever else. Bumblebee clearly is based more on Hot Shot than G1 Bumblebee, but Hasbro decided to "slap" the name on the character because they managed to regain the name.

6) Orci and Kurtzman were the sole credited writers on Star Trek. The third writer you must be thinking of is probably either Ehren Krueger (sp?) who was brought on board to help Orci and Kurtzman on ROTF, or John Rogers who wrote the first draft of movie one.

-airfox

14. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I don't know if Star Trek is loyal to the original or not, but I know that I enjoyed the new movie much more than any Star Trek material I've seen on TV before.

It actualy made me forget the Trekkie stereotype image for 3 hours.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Wait, what´s wrong wrong with BB being an awesome muscle car instead of useless covertible? Is that bad? Wow...

16. Covenant

Ebay:
    Gripe from fans who would've preferred something more akin to the source material, pretty much. Even I would have preferred Bee being a more compact vehicle, then pushing Jazz into the 'speaking through the radio', new Camaro, lead car character role. Would've made more sense to me.

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well, I pretty much like this new Bee. The old one was a useless bot and the alt mode..yeah, I hate small cars and honestly you can´t get any cooler than a muscle car, so yeah those are the reasons I love this new Bee.

18. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    What? Japanese cartoons are in an entirely different league to American cartoons. They are so much better.

19. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Explain all the reasons how Anime is way better than Western Animation.

20. Covenant

Ebay:
    Personal preference, I'm assuming.