Roast of David Hasselhoff!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tigertrack, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Expecting A list talent on a roast is foolish. Expecting a roaster to be prepared enough to look up from the podium, however, is to have a bare minimum of standards.

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Meh, roasters have either brought notes or blatantly read from cue cards/teleprompter, always. I'm ok with the cards.

3. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm totally okay with cards, props, notes, whatnot. But, again, watch her in the Shatner roast. She doesn't even look up from the notes. No eye contact with the crowd, just a flirtive glance over the dias to see who she's talking about next, nothing even resembling professionalism.

I mean, if you're doing this for a living, would it kill you to look at the damn camera once?

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

You should see here when she doesn't work right off her notes. It's like watching baby seals get clubbed.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the roasts of the 60s and 70s were tonnes better, imo.
    i watched quite a few of them. and the talent was always A-list. for pere's sake, the governor of California (Ronald Reagan at the time) getting hosed by Rickles or Dean Martin along with others, is like a college level comedy course.

there were some racy/nigh racist jokes back then, and yet the comedians knew the heart of the jokes was pure and clean.

personally, roasting Flavor Flav is a waste of time and money. he ain't worth the jokes a master of the roasts could lay on him.

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Does Gilbert really talk like that? Or is that just his acting personality? I've seen him on Beverly Hills Cop and he was milder.

7. Crazymadman

Crazymadman Dewbot leader

I wonder who they are going to roast next... Ted Danson? Snoop Dogg? Brad Pitt?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think they got Snoop Dogg already.

wake me when they roast real talent...Pauly Shore!

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Are you kidding me? They would tear Pauly a new asshole...he would probably cry from the jokes they would make about him.

10. Tigertrack

Pauly Shore sucks. I only liked him in Son-In-Law but can't stand his other movies. I don't think he'd be a good roast. Even if we'd like to see him roasted, I don't think he'd work well.

11. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    This. That's because the celebrities back in those days were not just wittier, they were quicker on the draw, and they were entertainers that either had true acting pedigrees, or comedy roots. I totally agree that those old roasts were still the best. They were much MUCH dirtier too. Airing a roast on Comedy Central now is like putting it on the Christian Broadcasting Network, too censored and vanilla.
    I've heard Lisa Lampinelli's (sp?) works as well as a few of the others (Godfried, etc), and she can do much much better. I just felt like it was half hearted on this roast. Still had its funny moments, but when Hulk Hogan's 'lady area' comment came up, that was just awkward.

No, that's SO not his real voice. He just does it because like every other stereotyped comedian, it's his bread and butter.

Honestly, I'm surprised no one went beyond Hasselhoff's cheeseburger incident for more yucks. There's so many Knight Rider, Days Of Our Lives, etc commentary that could have been used for better source material. It was almost like they didn't have enough jokes for them, so they decided to make it a group effort and hit to everyone.

12. Tigertrack

So what does Gilbert sound like normally? LOL! I figured that wasn't his actual voice. Like that one guy on one of the Police Academy movies. The really loud-mouth obnoxious dude? I think he was in the 2 second or third PA movie. Know who I'm talking about?
    It also seemed to me they were ripping each other more than Hoff.