Rise of the dark spark gameplay!

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by BloodRavenX91, Jun 20, 2014.

1. dhunter

dhunter Active Member

The movie part is tie in wit AOE. The Cybertron part was between WFC and FOC all the missions between that time

2. AUTOBOT1995

AUTOBOT1995 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for clearing that up, dissapointing about multiplayer and stinger but at least the game is looking good.

3. Fox13

Fox13 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it was a mistake, they probably felt that it made more sense to use the newer FOC Megatron model over the older 2010 model.
    Anyway, it's more of a spin-off than a proper sequel so it doesn't bother me too much.

4. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Watching the gameplay, the Cybertron portions take place between WFC and FOC. Trypticon is still a wreck, the Ark is still being constructed, and Starscream is still a member of the Decepticons.

Not sure about the AOE segments, however. I'm gonna throw my arms up and call it another mini-continuity like the movie games have always been.

The campaign is so boring. It's 90% shooting generics that you can skip around with no I'll repercussions.

Positive notes:

* Peter Cullen is excellent as Optimus. It's legitimately terrifying when he roars in anger, and it's very touching when he shares a moment with Cliffjumper.
    * Fred Tatasciore likewise does great. I couldn't even tell it was him voicing Lockdown until he started laughing maniacally.
    * Blast Off is given a personality here - basically Knock Out. Lazy, and somewhat concerned for his paint job.
    * An intriguing backstory about two long-dead Cybertronian factions who resolved to hide the Dark Spark from all Cybertronians. The Dark Spark was hypothesized to be related to Unicron (namely being his Spark, but we know that's not true), or a rejected, corrupted Spark from the Well. We get references to a Jhiaxus, a Galvatron, and a Kranix.
    * Some continuity nods including Jetfire and Starscream's past, and Megatron's death in the movie continuity.

Otherwise, gameplay is not looking unique, improved, or fun. Even Bruticus and Grimlock, who were a blast to play as during FOC, fall flat. Voice acting is still alright, though it seems someone new is voicing Jetfire and Kickback. Notably, Shockwave, Swindle, and Sharpshot share a mission together, though once again, Sharpshot is the only one Steve Blum audibly puts effort into.

Reused music, gameplay, weapons, abilities, and these extend to the AOE portions as well. I've seen enough to pass a final judgment; the game is mostly shit. Feels like old dogs, old tricks. While I was planning on it, now I probably won't rent this.

5. Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime Well-Known Member

You didn't read that earlier post about why this can't be between WFC and FOC at all, did you?

Well, the DOTM game wasn't a mini-continuity, it actually fit into the movie timeline perfectly. But yeah, I do think the AOE stuff is a mini-continuity.

WFC and FOC were also like that, but they were still great.

6. Fox13

Fox13 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aren't the AOE segments set after the movie, like it says in the press release?

7. Chopperface

News Credits:
    It obviously was before the Autobots were pushed to resort to claiming and using Trypticon for Energon. Time of day is irrelevant. Trypticon's still in one piece. Doesn't get much more plain than that.

And no, the DOTM game really didn't. Shockwave was shown being freed by Megatron in another way entirely by the canon IDW comics, for one.

WFC and FOC could actually be fun and gave you other things to do besides kill generics (the star room for one example). They had a sense of urgency, meaning, purpose. Here, it's just shoot to kill the opposing team.

8. IGotTheTouch

IGotTheTouch Full of Awesomeness

News Credits:
    You have the right to stop complaining now.

9. IGotTheTouch

IGotTheTouch Full of Awesomeness

News Credits:
    The last chapters have been posted!

10. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

After having watched the entire story mode the FOC parts actually look okay (if you still wanted more of that) but the movieverse parts of the game look terrible.

11. Chopperface

News Credits:
    I also know my right to continue talking about the game if I wish.

This isn't the worst TF game ever, but that is not a compliment either. It's certainly the laziest.

12. caldo15

caldo15 Banned

News Credits:
    I'm avoiding the final chapters, i would rather play the game first, do you really ant to get spoiled before playing? i'm getting this for the Xbox one, then I'll play it again for the 360

13. caldo15

caldo15 Banned

News Credits:
    whatever guy, seems like no matter what you're not going to be happy, seems it bothers you that they re-used assets, big deal, the game looks amazing for having been developed in under a year

14. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

One other thing, what happened to "When two worlds collide, only one will survive" from the trailer?

Cause nothing like that happens, at all.

15. caldo15

caldo15 Banned

News Credits:
    You're gonna be waiting for a long time, if you're cheap just download the bootleg PC version

16. Chopperface

News Credits:
    From the first trailer it looked bad. With each passing trailer, it still looked bad. And now that I've watched the bulk of the game, I can say for sure it's bad. And no matter what, you'll be white-knighting this game like we were lucky to get this piece of crap. I gave it a chance and am not impressed.

The game is a bad copy-paste of FOC. As I quite clearly wrote, there are things I actually enjoyed from this game. But they are not enough to save this game. And I hope Hasbro learns from this and strives to find a studio that actually puts some effort into their games as much as High Moon did. But, hey. You're proof that even a turd floats.

17. caldo15

caldo15 Banned

News Credits:
    whoever made the character trailers for this game did a terrible job, did not do the game justice. The game is almost better than FOC, FOC did not have the interaction this game has between the characters, the banter between characters was just like WFC, even better, For a movie tie in the game is outstanding

18. Chopperface

News Credits:
    It's hard to do justice to a game that's already exceptionally low-quality as it is.

FOC was a much better game than this by a wide margin. FOC was epic, dark, emotional, and fun. This feels like Iron Man 3, or a direct to video cash in Disney sequel.

19. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The banter doesn't matter when the performances are fucking awful man. And the gimped escalation instead of WFC style, lack of online, and frankly awful tie in story between franchises makes this just another awful tie in game.

20. Optimus1984

Optimus1984 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    The game does not look better than WFC and FOC (in all terms, not just graphics) but it does not look bad. From what I've seen, ill enjoy it. It is great for only 1 year of dev time and whats wrong with reused assets if those assets are good? Its not like they have copied and pasted maps as all of them are new, the assets only make it look like its in the same universe. I love the nods to obscure transformers lore like crystal city and love how it shows events such as shockwave meeting the insecticons. Escalation looks better than ever with updated WFC and FOC maps and so many characters, ill play that to death.

My only real gripe is that the Earth parts look a bit worse but not terrible and that the Earth parts will not fit into the movie continuity. Although being as its two alternate universes, the Earth part could be an alternate movieverse.

Also the matrix was created in WFC so how is it 'ancient' legend that the dark spark is its antithesis? Unless Primus had wielded it before hand and it was known of before giving it to Optimus.