Rise of the Dark Spark Continuity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Jul 29, 2014.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

So this is confusing. The entire game is like one giant continuity error. I'm going to warn you now that this thread is going to contain a lot of spoilers from AoE and RotDS. If you don't want spoilers please leave now.

Lockdown seems to have come to Earth for the Dark Spark yet in the movie he was only on Earth to collect a bounty on Optimus Prime.

The game seems to take place between DotM and AoE but Optimus is already has his new truck mode that he didn't scan till about half way threw AoE. It also can't take place after AoE because Optimus left Earth.

They seem to be crossing continuities with WfC/FoC or maybe it's the same continuity. I can't really tell because at the end of the Game we see G1 Optimus Prime suggesting the Dark Spark can move from one continuity to another. Yet at they also seem to talk about time travel. So which is it? Is that the past of the same universe or another universe entirely?

More confusion about exactly when this game takes place. Trypticon has not yet been converted into the Nemesis. However Megatron is already in his upgraded FoC body rather his WfC body that shouldn't have been destroyed yet.

Shockwave seems surprised by the existence of the Insecticons despite the fact that he created them.

Back to movie continuity errors. Optimus Prime's Matrix of Leadership seems to share the same design as his FoC counterpart despite the fact that the movie universe Matrix is totally different.

While I'm on the subject of the Matrix... the Dark Spark seems to be similar to the Matrix. The odd thing is when FoC Megatron used it, it was exactly like Optimus Prime had used it. When Lockdown used it however the other shell transformed into a different shape and then disappeared entirely turning into what looked like just a shard of Dark Energon.

All of the weapons in this game are from FoC no matter what universe you're actually playing in. You never see any of the characters using their weapons from the movie except for Drift who still has his swords.

Movie Grimlock is in the game despite the fact he should still be locked up on Lockdown's ship at this point... or maybe he was freed already in which case again Optimus shouldn't be there.

There's also the fact that Drift doesn't seem to have access to his third mode in the game but this is the least of my issues.

Oh yeah, some of Lockdown's henchmen actually use the Stinger character model which is wrong considering they're not real Transformers but rather, they're human created KSI robots.

Basically... this game seems to be trying to mix continuities while not really fitting into either of them. The game play is nothing new, basically just the same as FoC and the story really sucks. It seems half assed and not really well thought out. Like FoC was a big step up from WfC but this... it doesn't even feel like a complete game. They didn't add anything new, it's incredibly short compared to the other two. The story makes no sense. Why does this even exist?

It's an interesting concept... that's about it... I think they needed more time to develop a better story and improve the game play.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    And this is why I didn't buy it and will probably never buy it.

3. Securis

Securis Arcee Fanboy

You're taking RotDS too seriously. It was just a sloppy, slapped together cash grab.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    The Aligned continuity section seems to be set between WFC and FOC - we see Shockwave discovering the Insecticons for the first time (he didn't create them himself, FYI), Trypticon is lying where he crashed and hasn't been strung up by the Autobots yet, and the Ark is still under construction. At the end of the section, Optimus talks about falling back to the Ark as their last hope, which presumably leads in to FOC's opening Battle of Autobot City.

Megatron being in his FOC body seems to just be an error born of the new developers failing to do their research properly.

But yeah, the movie section is utterly incompatible with the AOE film. Everything about it points post-AOE (Prime and 'Bee's bodies, the Autobots having an alliance with Grimlock, etc.), except for the fact that Lockdown's alive. I'm guessing the writer for the game had no access to the film's script, and just had to go off character outlines (i.e. Lockdown = bounty hunter, Drift = honourable ex-'Con, etc.) and make up a story.

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

The funny thing is, I didn't buy it either... I just watched the gameplay on YouTube. I was thinking about getting it but after seeing the story and the game play online, hell no I'm not wasting my money on this game.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Attempting to decipher this game is a path that leads only to madness.

7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

It was just a sloppy, slapped together cash grab is pretty much exactly what I said so if I'm taking it too seriously, so are you.

Actually he did. In FoC it's shown and stated that they were his first experiments before the Dinobots. Maybe "create" is the wrong word since he probably altered them from Transformers who normally would of had vehicle modes like the Dinobots originally had. In any case, being the Insects that they were, Shockwave should have already known about them. He didn't discover them.

Which makes it a continuity error which is exactly why I pointed it out.

Not everything points to post AoE. The way Optimus talks about the Humans indicates that it's between DotM and AoE because he seems like an Optimus that hasn't had all his friends hunted down by humans yet. There are also scenes suggesting that Lockdown only just arrived on Earth not that he had been there for a while as it was in AoE. The only odd part about that is that his motivation for coming to Earth seems to have completely changed. In the game it looks as though he was tracking the Dark Spark while in the movie he was collecting a bounty on Optimus.

8. PriNcesfDarXnes

PriNcesfDarXnes Seeker

OP posts complaints about game and asks for responses > Gets insightful and genuinely informative reply posts > reacts with snippy and defensive sounding retorts. Also, you're totally wrong about the Insecticon origins in that continuity. Shockwaves did discover them. He only modified certain generic strains of Insecticons. There's a whole room dedicated to explaining that in Fall of Cybertron.

9. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, that experimentation room with all the consoles you can activate for audio clips makes it clear that the Insecticons were an existing species Shockwave discovered and experimented on (perhaps creating some of the generic variants you fight).

In one of the audio clips, he talks about how they can clone themselves, with successive iterations becoming more and more bestial, and theorises that Hardshell, Sharpshot and Kickback, as the most intelligent, were the originals.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that they were regular Cybertronians he gave insect modes to, so I don't know where you got that from.

10. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    *cracks knuckles*

Utterly incompatible continuity errors, presumably to avoid movie spoilers, which I can appreciate somewhat, if that's indeed the case.

Different continuities and universes. The Megatron body issue is simply another error. Though I didn't mind too much, I prefer his FOC body over his WFC body. The Cybertron portions take place between WFC and FOC, before the Autobots were forced to resort to dismantling Trypticon for his Energon.

Shockwave notes in his various audio logs in FOC that the Insecticons were a pre-existing species that lived in the depths of Cybertron until the shutdown, and they started moving towards the surface to search for more Energon to sustain them. Each generation got progressively more bestial, and he hypothesizes Hardshell, Kickback and Sharpshot were among the original generation due to their sentience.

More lazy errors. The Dark Spark was hypothesized to be the Spark of Unicron, which we know is not true thanks to the events in Prime; it's certainly an antithesis to the Matrix.

It's not mixing continuities, but it still sucks. For once, we agree, but you can't see that since you blocked me since you took it personally that I disagreed with you about the Aligned continuity. If I had paid attention to who wrote this post I wouldn't have bothered.

So for everyone else; this is just another round of "this game sucks".

11. IvegottheTouch

IvegottheTouch Wrecker

RoTDS take place in between WFC and FOC.

The movie portion seems to be inspired by the movie but doesn't follow it seriously.

12. HeyPiRon

HeyPiRon Well-Known Member

UNCANONIZED! ERASE IT!
    Seriously. All story in this game just complete pile of stupid situations. If Activision want make new TF game the just need FORGET about RotDS.

13. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    1. The movie parts don't make any sense and don't take place in any of the movies.
    2. We were only told shockwave experimented on the insecticons not that he created them
    3. All three shown generations are un-related and are in different universes.
    4. The only FOC/WFC error realistically is megatron not having the right body.

Did I mention the movie parts don't make sense? Mmmm rushed movie sections.

14. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saber, consider it like this: It's an alternate timeline of two different worlds. Kind of like the description Doc used in Back to the Future II when explaining the differences between the 1985 they knew and the one they were in due to changes caused by Biff.

Know what I mean?

Albeit, there are still some errors such as Megs' new body while he should have been in his WfC version. However, here too it can be chalked up to different time line effects.

My big question regarding RotDS is what was the catalyst that thrust the Dark Spark into both the AoE and WfC/FoC universes and why mesh those two worlds? Who or what caused this artifact to jump 'verses.

15. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    My understanding is that the wfc/foc portion is chronilogically before the aoe portions. Foc primes matrix launched the dark spark to the aoe universe and the aoe matrix launched it to g1. No idea why the game starts with aoe, but as the dark spark was in storage on Cybertron its the only chronology that makes some sense to me

16. optimus1

optimus1 Well-Known Member

I don't mind the game just got it a few days ago on PS4 and am enjoying it, I agree the Earth parts make no sense from what I have played im only on chapter 3 so far, The cybertron levels are good a bit bare but good I assume Earth is evacuated and it's between DOTM and AOE ?

I like the use of LaserBeak and Rumble the difficulty is not to hard in any way I did notice I shot a decpticon like 9 times and he would not die but over all as it is like early ps3/360 graphics im enjoying the game for what it is

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Actually the only real response I was asking for is the one in the topic title about when exactly this was intended to take place because it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The information you've given me doesn't really answer the question I asked but instead seems to only be correcting facts you think I got wrong.

I've been in that room which is how I know that he created them. Though I did say that perhaps created was the wrong word to use. Modified probably would of been better. That being said though, the Insecticons in this game have already been Modified and yet Shockwave doesn't recognize his own work.

The fact that his work on the Dinobots was based on his work with the Insecticons. He seems to be a bit obsessed with giving Cybertronians beast modes.

You should be less concerned about the catalyst for jumping from one universe to the next and more concerned with the catalyst for creating the alternate time lines that you're talking about.

tigatron actually explains how it was sent from one universe to another pretty well in his post.

To answer your question, it's the same reason why FoC starts with Bumblebee seeing Optimus and Megatron fighting at the end of the game. It's a pretty common practice in some stories to start some where in the middle of the over arching story or close to the end, and then back track to show you how it got to that point.

18. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Take that up with Activision whom decided to stick this nasty wedge in it to begin with :lol 

Still, I'd love to pick their minds one of these days as ask "what made you decide to do this" and get an official answer regarding the matter.

19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

If you ever get a chance to, please share your findings with the rest of the class... I mean forum.

20. Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime Well-Known Member

Both parts of the story are both so contradictory to the universes they are supposedly set in that neither can make sense. Some say that the Cybertron portion's only error is that Megatron is in his new body, and that the Cybertron portion is between WFC and FOC.

However, that is completely ridiculous bullshit on an utterly insane level because in FOC, Trypticon's body was being drained of Energon, yet in ROTDS, it was outright stated that every last drop of Energon was needed to power that blast.

Continuity was thrown out the window here, and Lockdown's character was thrown out the window and then stomped on.

The only good thing about this game is the gameplay.