Rise of the beasts set photos, leaks, and interviews thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Smokeyoreo18, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    That's the problem though, we don't know if they're sticking to the G1-escque aesthetic of Bumblebee or not. And I feel they probably are not which isn't going to end well with the reception from the fandom.

Especially if the script leak is true and Mirage is just another generic triple changing asshole similar to Crosshairs in personality, a complete waste of space if you ask me, and with a film overloaded with characters as it is, the fact we might be getting a redux of a shit character as one of the precious few Autobots is kind of short sighted. But Lorenzo is still involved so frankly I can't say I'd be surprised if that's true given the absurd level of control he somehow still maintains.

But you said the films never did anything like that, didn't you? I mean, your exact words were:

It was only after I pointed this out that you moved the goalpost and suddenly Bumblebee gets an exception which doesn't apply moving forward.

How am I moving goalposts? By having the car be Jazz, the logic is simply don't use the damn car for Mirage. Save it for introducing the character at a later date, it's not like the car is going to stop existing or be bought by literal billionaires like what happened with Drift. Twice.

I suppose the die is already cast, however, since we're well into filming. However, the bigger worry is that this wasn't used as Jazz because, among other reasons, the idiots at Paramount still think this is in continuity with the Bayverse, so they aren't going to use Jazz as he gets killed off later anyway.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Well done. You've managed to pick out the flaw in the context of my posts when it comes to THE MOST RECOGNISABLE CHARACTER IN THE ENTIRE PROPERTY.

Because, y'know, tickling Joe Q. Public's nostalgia bone in a very calculated and marketing-driven manner, that they won't give a flying hoot about with any other character, bar possibly Soundwave.

*golfclap*

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Which does raise the question of why he's still a cab over for ROTB if staying true to G1 isn't necessarily a requirement anymore. He easily could just be turned back into a Peterbuilt long-nose, since at this point that version from the bay films is just as well known as the original cab-over.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just dipping my toes into the clusterfuck of an argument here, but I don't think the point is staying directly true to G1, I think key wording is that it's heavily G1 inspired. Even Bumblebee took its liberties, I mean the only G1 thing about Bumblebee was his car and size while his robot mode looked nothing like his G1 self. Of course, who could also forget the whole Blitzwing scenario?
    There's still a lot of G1 elements being kept, but it also has its liberties.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    That much I can understand, especially since nobody's mentioned the car's base color means it's probably a closer match to Bluestreak/Silverstreak more than either Jazz or Mirage anyway, but I would think with Hasbro trying to establish a more concrete brand image with how everything is pretty much G1 based these days, that the movies would reflect this. Especially since the whole cast of Maximals so far largely is staying true to the original Axalon crew and isn't inventing anybody up instead of using pre-existing characters.

There is a LOT riding on ROTB doing well and its going to need every last bit of support because people haven't forgotten how bad TLK was. I just don't think trying to be 'different' like how Mirage is being here, along with how the only acknowledgement from the official channels is basically insulting the fandom who likes Jazz, is doing the film any favors.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

True, but I'm guessing (in all honesty) that whilst the Peterbilt 379 is more familiar to a certain subset of fans who might have gotten into TF via the Bay movies, the G1 styling was to tug at the memories of an older audience who remember the cartoon from their youth, especially as that version of Prime is pretty much the tentpole character template for the entire franchise these days.

7. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it's any deeper than "the Bee movie director did a 80s homage Optimus cuz the movie was literally set in the 80s, and the director of Rise of the Beasts liked it and added to that idea since it's a sequel".
    If the new Director wanted to do a G2 LASER PRIME Homage or whatever he would've likely been allowed to too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Dude a Laser Prime homage would be both insanely difficult and insanely awesome.

I mean, the only acceptable way to do Laser Prime would be to have the gloriously idiotic tanker trailer that has an image of Optimus burning down a forest for absolutely no reason.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mglaighton120

Mglaighton120 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Y’all are seriously overestimating how important a car mode is for ONE character. Does it affect the story and/or quality of the movie? No. It’s not the end of the world, it’s a new interpretation. With how the movies have been going design-wise, you should be grateful you at least got the G1 colors on him lol. I think it looks badass

• Like Like x 8
  10. GobotFool

GobotFool Well-Known Member

Probably not saying anything new, but it just seems a missed opportunity not to make the character who transforms into a Porsche named Jazz. Considering how long its taken Hasbro to get Porsche on board with allowing their cars to be used in a transformers property. As far as transformer characters go Jazz is more iconic than Mirage. So I don't get why they don't just assign this particular transformer that name. In the end it probably will not matter, if characterization is handled the same was as it was in previous films "mirage/Jazz"..... Hmmmmmm Jirage? Mirazz? will just be assigned a random personality that doesn't fit with their personalities as established in pre-existing media. For me the main problem is the movies are being made by people who have no real knowledge of, or love for the transformers franchise. They're just a bunch of dudes being paid to make a big FX action movie, and don't really care if they trample all over the lore as long as it fits their personal vision. If this were not the case we probably wouldn't be having an argument over whether a transformer that transformers into a Porsche should instantly be called Jazz or not.

This isn't a problem limited to transformers, just take a look at a lot of superhero movies, good and bad ones that at times completely ignore comic lore just so the director can express his personal vision of how he thinks it should be. Sometimes this ends well, sometimes it does not. I don't think it's going to end well in this case. For me it shows the creators don't really care about the Transformers franchise, thus they have a lower stake in trying to make a good movie. Just to be clear, I sincerely hope I am wrong about everything I just said.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Good thing most of the people commenting on it aren't saying it'll affect the story / quality of the movie, then. They're saying it may possibly be a sign of old bad habits reemerging, that's literally all they're saying. Nuance, I'm begging you.

No one's said it's the end of the world, you're poisoning the well.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    If we got a laser prime, that would be Peak.

13. BeeTwo

BeeTwo Bzzz Bzzz i'm a bee

It still amazes me that the complaint that Mirage doesn't look like its g1 version is still going on

When Nightbird on g1, she never transformed into any vehicle or was a Terrorcon

the saga can be reinvented in various mediums, which makes each new reinterpretation interesting, whether in series or movies.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Dake

Dake Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn\'t bother me so much that they changed Mirage\'s alt-mode (it is a far more practical disguise - though only barely). What bugs me is Porsche has so many gorgeous blues to choose from, and instead they went with silver - like every other dull Mercedes/BMW/Lexus in existence. Sure, he\'s got blue graphics, but still - could\'ve been so much prettier.

Oslo Blue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ossi
    [​IMG]

or Etna
    [​IMG]

(to name a few)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Because that has never been the complaint. The complaint is that the car isn't Jazz because it looks like Jazz's alt. mode complete with the stripe and wing spoiler.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Harold, They're Lesbians.

Wait, is this a different script leak than the first? I thought that leak only had Bumblebee and Optimus in it?

17. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    This was just a single line but it specifically said that Mirage was both a triple changer and "anti-authority" hence the Crosshairs comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Do you happen to have a link to this leaked script? I wasn't aware that this existed.

Or are you referring to the one that was found in the car? In that case, there was no mention of Mirage in there.

19. Delzord

Delzord Well-Known Member

This wasn't from a script leak, it's what they said at the press event. :) 

• Like Like x 4
  20. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Mirage should have a front splitter atleast.

• Like Like x 1