Rise of the Beasts Expectations Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RazorX3000, Dec 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

I think Wheeljack does a little spin and the missile passes through his side doors as he spins back around so Arcee can shoot.

• Like Like x 3
  2. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    Ah, I see the topic of gatekeeping came up again.

I notice what pro-gatekeeping folks never talk about is how gatekeeping actually works in practice. Why is that? If gatekeeping is so essential to weeding out "toxic" or "fake" fans why not elaborate on how that works? Could it be that they realise that the act of trying to bully people out of something they enjoy, because those people don't meet their arbitrary standards for what makes someone a Tr00 Fan, actually sounds extremely, dare I say... toxic?!
    And who's to say the ones trying to gatekeep are even good judges of what makes a "quality fan" (lmao) in the first place?

This obsession with keeping the fanbase "pure" is just generally hilarious because at the end of the day it's goddamn children's toys.
    Y'know who else was obsessed with pure bloodlines? Middle Ages European royalty and we all know how that turned out for them.

[​IMG]

Is this what you want for Transformers? A sickly, malformed, inbred fandom that dies prematurely because it refuses any new blood that isn't "pure" enough for you? HMM?!

As always gatekeeping is stupid because no one who is sincerely interested in getting more into a hobby is going to let some terminally online weirdo deter them from getting into Transformers.

Anyway, ROTB is still going to be a flawless masterpiece.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    No, it's not. It's never needed.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Skeletronus21

Skeletronus21 Well-Known Member

I think whoever argues for gatekeeping don't imply that the franchise remain "pure" but rather keep certain traditional attributes of the franchise so that it keeps its identity. Idk that's what I find most logical for gatekeeping.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It really isn't. The only people who should be excluded from a fandom are bad actors (dishonest people looking to exploit others and general assholes), and that's the same of any social organism. A specific gatekeeper class aren't needed for that, every member participates in that inclusion/exclusion behavior when people are jerks.

Excluding 'casuals' or mainstream people limits the sustainability of a fandom, and there's plenty of "old hands" who are/become just as toxic as new people coming in who won't be welcome. Every fan started out somewhere, and as long as people are willing to contribute positively to the community (and this does not mean by sharing what some might think as a group opinion) they should be given space by the rest of us.

And for a franchise that's reinvented itself as much as Transformers, and which has seen so much diversity in fan interpretations and fan activities, that's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
  6. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I've come to understand it, the term 'gatekeeping' is in regards to people / fans and not content. So what I interpret from these pro-gatekeeping arguments is that people who are fans of parts of the franchise that don't adhere to 'certain traditional attributes' (which is an arbitrarily and subjectively defined measure to begin with) should be gatekept from the fanbase.

Which is a laughable non-starter of an idea.

• Like Like x 8
  7. cybeast

cybeast Freelancer Pun Maker

News Credits:
    I was literally just saying Gatekeeping as in, keeping the cancer out...

Never I said that I don't want the fandom to grow. Never I said to keep it "pure" (whatever that means). Was just saying that going mainstream is not always a good thing, because the bigger the fanbase is, the harder it is to filter the cancer (and a-holes, if that's the term you like) out.

But hey, feel free to twist my words into something that means "I want a pure version of TF and nothing else!!!!", whatever that means.

Last time talking about this topic, now we're back into how RotB will make a Gorilliontastic dollars, especially when Primal say "It's beasting time!"

:D 

• Like Like x 5
  8. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus @DiddlyDipstick on Twitter

man, how many times are we gonna do this? “NOOO YOU CANT DISLIKE NAMESLAPPING!!!! IT HAPPENED IN THIS OTHER SHOW (which has also been criticized) SO YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT!!!!!”

How many times does it have to be explained that there is a whole spectrum between “slavish G1 accuracy” and “looks absolutely nothing like the character”??? Do you genuinely believe that when people complain about movie Ironhide looking nothing like Ironhide, it’s because they want him to be blocky and made out of only like, 10 moving parts? No. It’s possible to have a design look new and interesting and make it work in live action, while still adapting even the slightest elements from the character designs.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    The inability for individuals around these parts to grasp nuance in peoples positions pains me, they always seem to jump to the most unreasonable position in order to make it easier to 'knock down'.

"I'd prefer if the designs are more streamlined and did a better job incorporating elements of the characters past iterations."

"Oh so you're saying you want it to be slavishly accurate to the G1 cartoon?"

Every. Single. Time.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

As far as I'm concerned, the Unicron Trilogy is just as bad as the Bayverse. Not just with nameslaps, but in general.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And I'd say the Unicron Trilogy and Bayverse are my favorite iterations of the brand, actually.

Thankfully we are all entitled to our own subjective opinions and can coexist as Transformers fans!

• Like Like x 8
  12. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you 2 literally trying to reignite an argument that was a: settled and b: got this thread closed for a.couple of days?

Drop it.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Rotb expectations seemed positive just a few months back in these posts. Oh well.

We'll never know what unicron or primus would've looked in the bayverse.

Preferably designed by Josh Nizzi.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. TitoG13

TitoG13 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Νoone said anything about keeping the franchise pure you made that up.
    It is.
    I wasnt talking about excluding casuals. I just dont think everything should cater to them

• Like Like x 3
  15. Steampunk13

Steampunk13 Scale Charts and PNGs

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    He really did make some of the best Bay designs.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    No, it's really not. Gatekeeping in and of itself is a toxic behavior and is unnecessary.

• Like Like x 7
  17. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Ironic thing is that Beast Wars, Unicorn Trilogy and so on only did nameslaps to keep the names and trademarks of the beloved original characters - because they realised that they meant so much to people. Just incase they ever wanted to do anything 'big' one day with these favourites.

In my mind, the live action movies should have been this.

Transformers wasn't great just because of the basic premise of big battling robots turning into things otherwise Gobots and Co. would have lasted alongside them. The beloved characters made it stand out from the competition. And some of us just want to see them in 'real life ' on the screen.

• Like Like x 6
  18. TitoG13

Twitter:
    I only really like armada from the Unicron trilogy. Rest i find very meh

• Like Like x 1
  19. TitoG13

Twitter:
    Depends on how you go on about it

• Like Like x 3
  20. Fenrys

News Credits:
    It really doesn't depend. Gatekeeping is not necessary, ever. Gatekeeping leads to crap like TRUKK not MUNKY or even the infighting within the fandom between movie fans and non movie fans. I have personally never seen 1 single instance of Gatekeeping being used in a positive manner.

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.