Rise of the Beasts Expectations Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RazorX3000, Dec 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fjall

Fjall Well-Known Member

Are we expecting any new toy reveals today?

I remember people saying we would get a lot of news in December but unfortunately we have only gotten the amazing trailer.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Fjall

Fjall Well-Known Member

I have no idea why mu above post is formatted like that. Apologies.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Pedantic fine print mostly but at least they're not degrading each other and/or insulting each other's intelligence over it so it's a step up from the usual.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    I expect it to be the worst one yet based on the resumes of people writing it. The one saving grace of Bayformers were the designs but this one doesn't even have that going for it.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

I get it completely -such a loaded question - especially given the history of this franchise. At this point, especially considering the drastic change to Wheeljack and the fact that Lorenzo & the usual suspects are still involved, I expect ROTB to be what it's gonna be. It is what it is, it be what it be, and to quote Ray Charles, Paramount, Lorenzo and Co. are gonna, "Make it do what it do, Baybeee!". . .

• Like Like x 2
  6. waniel239

waniel239 Monitor of the 15th Galactic Convergence

If G1 is Transformers, then this franchise may as well be dead already. I find it funny that so many here love what Bumblebee did for the movies in the context of "respect for the source material" when a lot of that "respect" boiled down to nameslaps and cameos in a 3-minute sequence from the beginning of the movie. Simply looking like G1 and having relevant name attached is apparently all some people need to love a Transformers product, to say nothing of how ultimately shallow that is with respect to characters. Wherever ROTB goes with its characters, it'll be much more substantial and respectful to the source than Bumblebee was with anyone outside of Bee, Shatter, Dropkick or Prime; but based on the reaction to Wheeljack's toy, no one cares how a character acts as long as they look like one specific version of themselves from an old cartoon. I'm hopeful for this movie, and I'm sure even if I don't like it, there'll be something really cool it adds to the mythos that'll hopefully get picked up in some other medium someday.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

Well, if you want to play like that, then, yeah, thank Hasbro for all those tasteless little cheap on-brand knock off start/stop spinoffs for toddlers, that poorly regurgitate G1 anyway, and Bay/Lorenzo for saving it from oblivion, right? What it needed was a shot of crap in the arm.

What a terrible take.

• Like Like x 5
  8. waniel239

My take is that if the brand keeps going back to G1 as if to relive it's "glory days", it'll be less and less effective over time. The brand will become incredibly stagnant if it doesn't change or evolve. Thankfully, there's more to Transformers than G1 and there's a few people who don't seem to fully realize that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dropkick89

Dropkick89 Hi, I like stuff

I'm expecting to come in the theater to see everyone wearing the primal and bumblebee mask like the 07 commercial

• Like Like x 2
  10. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

"Keeps"? The brand has never genuinely gone back to G1, in the 21st century, as far as cartoons and movies go. Almost all the little spinoffs kind of regurgitate superficial G1 elements, but none has committed to either being a new sort of Beast Wars (which, is G1 to me, but at the same time, the most truly different period of the brand ever) or genuinely try to adapt G1.

Probably the only genuine reboot has been the UT. And that's more in line, aesthetically, with the "boxiness" that people associate G1 with, than G1 itself. So, we're essentially left with the movies. Which are just a terrible adaptation of random elements throughout. So, what, isn't G1 to you? Animated, Prime, RID and Cyberverse? Aren't those just G1, with more exaggerated proportions and a few names and plot elements shuffled around? Even if some of them are good at what they are - short-lived spin-offs.

So at the end of the day, you just claim that if Transformers kept being itself, it would be dead. How about you could just move on to another franchise if you only like Transformers when it's the least like Transformers?

It's funny that despite all the talk about "branching out" and "evolving", this or that "saving the brand", to justify poor quality media, the toys, have been, indeed, all G1. Kinda proves that, at the end of the day, since, selling toys is the ultimate goal, cheap mediocre media ain't the way to do it.

What a mess you're cheering for.

• Like Like x 7
  11. waniel239

"And when everyone's G1, no one will be"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

How old are you?

• Like Like x 2
  13. waniel239

• Like Like x 2
  14. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The writer for Bumblebee also had some pretty crappy films on resume too beforehand. While TLK had probably some of the best.

I guess we'll never know where the dice rolls.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

You act like 17.

• Like Like x 4
  16. waniel239

Today's 17 year olds must be pretty smart :D 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Excluding the meta joke at the very beginning of the pilot episode that uses clips from the G1 Episode 'War Dawn' as 'old war footage' (especially since the dudes getting mowed down are, in that episode, being shot by Optimus Prime), Animated is about as far from G1 as you can get. Primarily because Optimus straight up is about as far from being the guy in charge of all Autobots that he usually is - despite being the same rank as the second in command; Sentinel Prime, Optimus is nothing more than the chief space janitor in charge of three misfits and a grumpy old guy who doesn't want to talk about the war, while Optimus himself is still an inexperienced, wide-eyed novice who has deep seated insecurities and as later demonstrated still isn't over the Elita-1 incident that got him that job in the first place because Sentinel threw him under the proverbial bus.

Also, Megatron straight up kills Starscream more or less immediately after regaining his body and thus the means to do so, and never undergoes an upgrade into Galvatron (even his planned upgrade into a triple changer that never happened was simply 'Marauder' Megatron and retained his colors in lieu of the purple/orange.)

• Like Like x 7
  18. Dropkick89

Dropkick89 Hi, I like stuff

Can we have a rise of the beasts thread without arguing for 5 minutes?

• Like Like x 3
  19. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

I’m sorry but…what!?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about that. And I don't know how old the other folks in this discussion are, but they were able to act like adults and keep some level of quality to the disagreements.

I completely fail to see how this isn't just G1 with comically stylised proportions and a few twists to the formula. It's really not that much of a departure. And I enjoy it a bit more for that. But if when you say you want "something different", you mean that, then that's just a small (and loving) spin to the original. Exactly what spin-offs are (that, or solo character stories, usually). It's still closer to G1 than the beast era, which actually is part of the G1 continuity.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.