Rise of the Beasts Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RazorX3000, Jun 3, 2023.

1. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

The Macguffins are getting tiring. A movie on Cybertron would be cool but the cgi costs would be through the roof. Autobots vs Decepticons on Cybertron. They then team up vs Unicron and the Unicron upgraded fallen Autobots and Decepticons to make it interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    Ay man he literally gave you stats that proved him right like 2 sentences later

Spider verse was so good I watched it in theaters twice. Rotb was aight, I liked the Peru mountain chase (still mad that air razor interrupted what could have been the coldest fight scene oat) but yeah it was a mediocre movie. Some people liked it some people didn't. Summer had like 4-5 really good movies come out, which smothered rotb a lot.

Really want to watch blue beetle as he was my fav character in the brave and the bold cartoon. I just moved to a new state though so I have no one to watch with oof

• Like Like x 2
  3. SlickPrime

SlickPrime Lazy Guy with a 3D Printer

You know, I think it would do better if they stayed a little closer to the source material, and threw in some throwbacks for the old fans.

Not once in that movie did Primal say "That's just prime"

Airrazor never transformed

The villain was bland and did not lean into his namesakes origin at all. For a while there people thought he might have been Bayverse Optimus Prime corrupted by Unicron. Even if they just went with the clone of Optimus idea it would have been infinitely more interesting than Ultron in a mask.

We never see Unicron transform.

The maximals have almost no screen time.

Pablo being called Wheeljack is just a crime against that character especially after they got it so right in the previous movie

It just wasn't very good

• Like Like x 3
  4. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    No transforming Unicron makes sense, as they said they want Unicron be the Thanos of the ROTB Trilogy, so i can see them wanting to save the transformation and us to see Unicron in his full glory for the epic finale, instead of chapter 1 of his story arc.

• Like Like x 5
  5. KodyCrimson

KodyCrimson Resident Titans Return fan

YouTube (Custom URL):
    Funny thing about that, he does to an extent. He's a servant of Unicron like the G1 Scourge and is a rival to Optimus that has a truck mode like the RID 2000 Scourge. Bland yes, but not devoid of his origins.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JS_Prime

JS_Prime Active Lurker

News Credits:
    I guess for a while this will be our version of “Why is Thanos not the villain of Avengers 2!?!?” given the numerous times now I’ve seen people complaining about Unicron not transforming

• Like Like x 3
  7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

It's the main problem though.. the movies have been drowning in half thought out mashes and no effort reuses of character concepts applied to the wrong characters. From the second movie there was never really any cohesion to any of the rambling concepts or "homages." Eventually people tire of that, and not just established fandoms but general audiences get tired of it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    Ultron ftw. Also I don't understand why unicron should have transformed in this?? What purpose would that serve? This movie already had too much, even airazor never transformed. He's not a one and done villan we will see him. Tf?

If they continue with this trilogy, I think next movie should be a decepticon invasion and last movie a team up

• Like Like x 2
  9. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

The TF movie-verse can be saved:

Step 1) Dump Paramount. I know it's a big ask, but their recent box office sales speak in volumes. The decisions at the top lead to poor decisions at the bottom.

Step 2) Get better directors. Bay verse needs to be put down.

Step 3) Be more inclusive. TF is a GLOBAL BRAND. Why oh why oh why... would RotB do so little for non-American audiences? Peru? Nah, son. Your money is in CHINA. Work out your problems with Chinese companies, and get to China again. If you won't do location shooting in China, it may not hurt to hire some popular Chinese actors. Did Godzilla benefit from cutting out Japanese actors or locations? RotB didn't hate on Asians directly, but it went out of its way to not include any. :banghead:  Believe it or not, Asian audiences will notice the snub.

Step 4) Quit recycling character names and ideas: if you're going to borrow from G1, don't slash and burn the source material! Don't randomly insert bizarre ethnicities into non-human robots.
    Nevermind: G1 did its fair share of accents... but they never seemed as outlandish as the stuff in RotB (coughWheeljackcough).

Step 5) Try to remember that Optimus is a hero because he's the opposite of Megatron. At NO POINT in the movie should Optimus scream for blood or brutally murder another bot. It. Makes. No. Sense. At all. He's above that; he's a symbol of peace, not murder/revenge/hatred.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  10. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    My guess would be the overall crumminess of Poochie.
    Really. I think if it looks like more of the same...and it sure did, then people will just skip it because they've seen it so many times already.

• Like Like x 2
  11. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Everything after step 1 can happen while still under Paramount though

• Like Like x 1
  12. Johnson the third

Johnson the third Well-Known Member

NO! They need to dump paramount because Lorenzo killed my family okay!

• Like Like x 8
  13. Rob

Rob Fanatic Films Supporter: Optimus Prime reborn!!!

News Credits:
    I don't know man I get the vibe Latin America was chosen because you get a greater return than you would in China. I'm just speculating but Peru seems like a corporate decision.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Confused Millennial

Confused Millennial Well-Known Member

The most worrying sign to me is that audiences appear to be blanket rejecting anything remotely close to Transformers genre-wise (sequels, sci-fi action, anything that started as comics including Marvel G1) unless it’s outstanding:

If Barbie, Mario, and Oppy hold the top 3 for the rest of the year, it will be the first time since 2001 when the top 3 will be not be a sequel or a CBM.

If Barbie, Mario, and Oppy hold the top 3 for the rest of the year, it will be the first time since 2001 when the top 3 will be not be a sequel or a CBM.

Yes, Spider-Verse and GOTG did play financially but the box office for now is completely reliant on lighter or quieter fare, and stuff that would’ve been niche during the 2010s is doing mindblowing numbers in 2023. Especially if the Taylor Swift movie does anything close to its presales.

• Like Like x 2
  15. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    "Dump Paramount." Brilliant idea! They've already announced more movies and presumably have funding lined up, but Hasbro should break that contract and try to find someone else to gamble on the franchise. The pitch will go great! "Our last movie lost hundreds of millions of dollars, but that wasn't our fault, we want you to put up that money now."

And betting on China is a great move ... if it's 2020. Here in 2023, that's a foolish bet. The trades have spilled tons of ink this summer on the collapse of the China market for Hollywood and, its renewed interest in their own domestic market. The cultural and political trends suggest that a rebound won't occur anytime soon.

As for Geewunners versus the Baystans (Bayversians? Baybies?), the petty factionalism makes for fun forum arguments, but just like with continuity, no one in the real world knows or cares about it. At this point there are at least three generations of fans of Transformers, and new non-fans to reach with every motion picture, and that's always going to be the goal.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Confused Millennial

Confused Millennial Well-Known Member

This this this. The last time new Transformers content was in the theaters was 2019. As much as many industries would like it to be 2019, and as much as everyday life is superficially similar to 2019, we're not in 2019 anymore. Let's look at what's changed:

-China and Russia (2 of the G20) were major markets for Hollywood films in the 2010s. They are now either off-limits or heavily diminished due to political and cultural changes.

-There have been a host of traumatic events that have left a mark on indicators of global development and prosperity, many of which have hit audiences in the pocketbook (inflation/climate change) or emotionally (deaths due to Covid and the Eastern European drone war).

-Robots and AI, including real-life Transformers as well as the above-mentioned drone war, are much more visible in the news and the marketplace.

-Interest in going to picture palaces/purpose-built movie theaters has decreased, in great part due to Covid as well as alternative entertainment sources (streaming of current and vintage movies, AI-generated entertainment like CharacterAI).

-For the first time since 2001, sequels and comic book movies (YMMV, but the first published Transformers fiction was a comic) are likely to be shut out of the top three global box office positions by Barbie, Mario, and Oppenheimer after a 20+ year streak. The late 2010s in particular were really dominated by action/sci-fi franchises, particularly the MCU, while meanwhile 2023 audiences are absolutely flocking to wildly different sorts of movie (the summer 2023 box office was actually down over summer 2022 in spite of incredible competition until Barbenheimer showed up).

• Like Like x 1
  17. MehWave

MehWave Well-Known Member

Let me amend my earlier statement: We're never getting a faithful translation of any animated series to live action. Hollywood will create its own version.

• Like Like x 1
  18. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I was really excited for this movie after The Bumblebee movie. The Bumblebee movie was well written, directed and had no MacGuffin. ROTB threw all of that away and reverted towards the normal Bayverse style movie... a macguffin chasing film that goes all over the world focusing more on the humans than the transformers filled with a juvenile style of humor.

• Like Like x 2
  19. PrimeBot

PrimeBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both MI7 and ROTB bombed. But MI7 is a bigger bomb than ROTB. ROTB breakeven is 500 milion, that's what most of the industry is going with and even people on youtube that talk about box office, had the movie breakeven at 500 milion.
    So ROTB is actually losing 60 milion (a marketing of 80 milion makes more sense than 120 milion).
    MI7 on the other hand, thats a 180 milion flop currently.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    For step 1) That won't happen, but never say never

step 2) yes, but bayverse has been dead for 6 years, keep that in mind

step 3) google airazor's VA

step 4) I'm not a fan of the name slaps, but I think it works if the new version is cooler/ as cool as the older one such as sideswipe, crosshairs, hotrod (hit or miss depending on who you are). Doesn't work for pablo, queue, skids etc. Really depends on how the ns turns out. Accents are fun for transformer even if they make no sense. I loved Dino's, Hotrod's, Crosshair's, Drift's, Lockdown's and Pablo's accent (I didn't like Pablo, and ik his va seems a step down from Goat Blum, but I still liked the voice)

step 5) While I don't disagree completely, I think Prime gave some of the coldest lines in ROTB acting like an ass

• Like Like x 1