Rise Of Dungeons & Dragons

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 17, 2020.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Strange title, but allow me to bring some info from Hasbro.

Brian Goldner (and by extension Hasbro) wants to bring Dungeons & Dragons to the forefront. Even though this may sounds unrelated to Transformers, Transformers is taking a back seat for the time.

What movies did for Transformers, they want it for D&D. Despite the critical backlash, the live action movies did wonders for the franchise.

Hasbro has outlined their entertainment slate until 2023 and D&D will be the main focus, said the CEO. Movies, TV series, cartoons, comics, toys... just like TF.
    Stated that 'D&D is more substantial than Transformers at the moment'.

Keep in mind that this doesn't mean we won't see Transformers movies. In fact, the company is working really hard for the animated movie and then live action movie(s). Paramount is even gathering a crew for the live action one (or two?) as we speak. The movies are budgeted same as Bumblebee. Big budget goes to D&D.

I'll update you with info as time goes on, but you'll likely to hear more (and what I mentioned above regarding D&D) at Pulsecon.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Ah, the sequel to Mazes and Monsters we have waited decades for. Excellent.

(I kid, I kid)

Honestly, this has potential, but what they need to do is frame this like an actual game of DND where they snap back between the whole fantasy adventure and what's going on in real life, which would be just a bunch of kids and maybe an adult as the DM to guide them. And you have the super fantasy characters all speak in the voice of the kids so you have this giant seven foot tall, muscle bound ork speaking like he hasn't hit puberty yet.

Also, we are now at a point where DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is now a bigger franchise than Transformers. Certainly raises my eyebrows to how far down the priority list we've fallen thanks to TLK.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    I can give you an exact number. 4th. After DND, Nerf, and My Little Pony.

But not necessarily due to TLK. Various factors. It's natural. It can happen. Commonly known term is 'Franchise Fatigue'. Even Disney (live action movies, Marvel, Star Wars) is not immune from it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Wow, not even medaling anymore, and not just TLK that brought on the fatigue? I want to guess that maybe we're looking at a rot that's been developing since 2014 but you're the guy with all the industry knowledge. Even if I'm wrong, this is fascinating stuff and I feel a side of the franchise that's worth covering to understand its health and where it might go next. As well as the importance of rebooting to prevent fatigue like this.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Furnace

Furnace Antroid at a picnic

Thanks for the info. It's always good to know what's going on behind the scenes. Personally, I'm not too bothered by TF taking a backseat for a bit. It'll give the franchise time to cool down from the high octane big-movie-every-other-summer sprint, formulate a new strategy, and foster creativity. In the meantime, if Hasbro can keep giving us quality figures of the caliber we've been seeing in the WFC trilogy, I'll be perfectly content.

6. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    It is fascinating. But I may only know just a small fraction of what's going behind the scenes. As Transformers fans, we only see Transformers. What we see as 'selling great' is just small compared to other franchises. You guys have seen me covering Licensing events, right? I do that for a reason. It seems insignificant to the fans, but it gives a great insight into the industry and what Hasbro is planning for years to come.

Take G.I. Joe Classified Series for an example. The designs, the marketing... it looks like it came out of the blue, but it's not. Hasbro's been pitching those for 2+ years to potential license-holders.

DND is at that particular point. Hasbro's testing the waters for DND to be as big as how Transformers was few years back. We'll just have to wait and see if it works. If not, they'll bring another franchise to the forefront. It may even be Transformers.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    That’s interesting. Considering how China doesn’t allow anything supernatural and skeletons in it, I wonder how compromised the movie would be. The only exception to this rule seems to be Warcraft though, so maybe they’ll tread the lines carefully? Even if the film is good, I highly doubt it’ll do well in China as the IP is virtually unknown.

With that said, it’s surprising that they’re even interested in making a bloody nerf movie than a TF one. With BBM making a profit, I’d think that Paramount would double down on quality TF movies similar to DCEU’s current model. Granted; I don’t think that DCEU is that applicable since the majority of their output were deep in development, but it’s still nice to see Paramount do a full break other than terrible 180 retoolings like Suicide Squad and Justice League.

8. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    Nerf is not a movie. Remember that I said 'Entertainment'. Nerf is made into a reality show by eOne.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Ah. Thanks for clearing up.

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Habro and Paramount had better take care they don't have a Warcraft film on their hands. That was a film made by fans for fans, and so only fans really got it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Try floating that opinion on the Warcraft forums, see how far you get.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

Movie better be a bunch of greasy nerds playing the game for 3 hours straight and nothing more

• Like Like x 5
  13. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I'm glad to hear they'll have smaller budgets as I've grown tired of the big "end of the world" blockbusters and would like something more along the line of Bumblebee in terms of scale. @SilverOptimus any word on if they're still aiming for June 2022 for the next TF film?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Actually, yeah, it seems like once we get past a decade, the brand in general usually needs another major shake-up in order to keep going. We haven't really gotten one since the Movies started; basically it's just been Hasbro trying to mash G1 and the Movies together like they're a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. So TF coming in fourth doesn't surprise me all that much.

Also, lower-budgeted TF movies ARE the way to go. Seriously. Even without the Current Real-World Situation(s), any future that part of the franchise still had was probably going to have to go in that direction, given the combination of both TLK and Paramount's pre-existing (as far as the crisis) financial woes. Smaller stakes, less globe-trotting, simpler robot designs, and a fresh take that isn't just barfing back up what was done before - that's pretty much the name of the game.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    Yes, yes they are. Still on track for the June 22 release date.

• Like Like x 5
  16. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

It's the perfect time for it, with not that much fantasy going on since LOTR and Game of thrones. There is only The witcher and cursed, which I liked for its awkwardness and awfulness and merlin. But both are in a completely other direction of fantasy.

17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm completely okay with Transformers taking a backseat and being budgeted similarly to Bumblebee. I don't need Transformers to be "Hasbro's MCU" or something...I just want good movies. And massive budget =/= quality. As I pointed out in another thread recently, The Mandalorian is arguably Disney's best Star Wars project, and it was made for a fraction of the cost of something like Rise of Skywalker (arguably Disney's worst). And Mandalorian is (IMO) so much more visually appealing to look at. This obviously isn't to say higher budgets always result in a bad movie...but I do think some limitation is a good thing. It forces them to put the emphasis on the storytelling instead of just relying on excessive visual effects. I think there's a reason a lot of under $100 million movies from the '70s and '80s are still considered the greatest blockbusters ever. Given a talented team, they should be able to make something stellar out of any budget. I could see lower-budget Transformers movies worrying someone...but it doesn't worry me at all. It actually gives me a bit more confidence in them.

As for Dungeons and Dragons...I know some friends who will probably be excited for it. Personally, I've never gotten into those sort of roleplay games (although they can be fun, given the right group). Although I've only ever done Star Wars roleplay games, not the actual D&D. I'm a bit more of a sci-fi guy than a "swords and sorcery" fantasy guy. But I do like LOTR, so this could be cool. It's going to be interesting to see how the movie fares, I know that genre tends to be a mixed bag in terms of profits.

By the way, @SilverOptimus , have you heard any more about what the next Transformers movie will be about? Are they still considering the Optimus/Bumblebee teamup movie? I totally understand if you can't say (or haven't heard)...but it would be awesome if you could give us a hint! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Not sure how it'd supposed to work as a fantasy action movie played straight. D&D fantasy settings are painfully generic save for Eberron, Planescape and Al-Quadim and I think they'd rather go for the Forgettable Realms.

19. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    That's why I'm saying it should be extremely tongue in cheek with how the narrative goes. Kind of like Princess Bride where you cut away from the actual story to get commentary between the son and the grandfather.

Actually, you know what this would need? MEL BROOKS. Give us the spiritual sequel to Blazing Saddles with anachronisms galore and a complete disregard for any sense of seriousness.

• Like Like x 3
  20. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if I’ve sunk more money into D&D or Transformers?

With the success of the Critical Role Kickstarter and the massive leaps in public opinion on D&D and TTRPGs, I’m not surprised Hasbro wants to push D&D as far as it can go. Who remembers the film with Jeremy Irons and Marlon Wayans? Nobody. It’s time for another go and D&D has 40 years of modules, books, video games and other lore to draw from.