RIP Rik Mayall

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gingerchris, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Rik Mayall dies aged 56 - Telegraph

Totally gutted. The Peoples' Poet is dead... :( 

Enormous fan of him in The Dangerous Brothers, The Young Ones, Filthy, Rich and Catflap, Bottom, Blackadder, Drop Dead Fred and the many other things he did. He was also cool in the Nintendo adverts.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Lord Flasheart is gone? Blast!

It took great acting to make such an egotistical unlikeable character likeable and popular. May his soul rest in peace.

3. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

One of my comedy heroes, I don't think I ever saw him in anything that I didn't like. 56 is no age at all :( 

4. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    R.I.P. but honestly I don't know who he is

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    He's a British comedian. Most people who've seen British shows know him. Don't worry about it if you don't know.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Most non-Brits that haven't seen his shows might be aware of him from the movie Drop Dead Fred.

I wonder if anything has been filmed for the second series of Man Down or if Rik's passing has happened before the second series got very far into writing. He was great as the evil father that loved to torment his son.

7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Rik Mayall's one and only Tweet said,

"Opening my very own Twitter to stop some other bastard from doing it. So fuck off and don't expect to hear from me anytime soon. Love Rik."

:D 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Very sad news. Rick, Flashheart, Richie Rich and Alan B'Stard are true comedy greats.

A real shame that Hooligan’s Island was never made, would have been great to see Rik and Ade back together one last time.

9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    True. I was only just saying to a pal the other day I'd have loved to see the guys back as violent old gits. They needed at least one big proper hoorah to close off the Bottom runs (so to speak). Now it'll never happen. :(  I suppose Guest House Paradiso did give them a happy ending, but it wasn't really in the Bottom universe, so to me that doesn't count.

I always hoped they'd do an extended TV special where Eddie and Richie would win big on the Lottery but then waste all the money trying to kill each other off in ever more elaborate and violent ways so they could claim all the cash for themselves. In the end they'd call a truce and go to the bank together to discover they've spent every last penny on their failed killing plans. At which point they'd start fighting again. :p 

Hmrm. Channel Five mentioned his death in their news report, then showed a clip from Bottom, but had it titled as being from The Young Ones. Actually, they didn't mention Bottom at all when they listed the shows Rik was best known for. Both those small things shouldn't bug me, but they do.

10. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    :rip 

11. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YES Drop Dead Fred!!!!! Oh my gosh yes not that it wasn't sad before but now it's sadder I guess now that I connect it.
    I loved Drop Dead Fred.

12. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

:rip  Rik/Richie/Lord Flashheart/Alan B'Stard/Mad Gerald/Froglip, Leader of The Goblins/Edwin in Shoebox Zoo/Drop Dead Fred.

Your narration of George's Marvelous Medicine on Jackanory was and will always be one of my top fave moments. ;-;

That and those Nintendo Adverts.

:p 

Now THAT I would've loved to have seen as a fitting end to the Bottom Series/Live Show! :) 

Sadly it will no longer be a reality.

13. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Young Ones is my favourite comedy TV show followed by Blackadder 2. So sad he's gone, me and my girlfriend have been watching his best moments on youtube all day, gonna have a Young Ones marathon some time this week.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :rip 

I remember him voicing on an episode of Spongebob. The one with Sandy's bosses those chimps.

15. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I rewatched the episode of Jonathan Creek last night with Rik as the wheelchair detective. Hilarious. I wish there could've been a whole series of just that character.

Unfortunately it looks like it might've been the quad bike accident Rik had some years back that returned to finish him off. Apparently it left him with epilepsy and once he forgot to take his medications and suffered a pretty bad seizure, so perhaps the same happened here.
    It's been reported he was 'happily chatting away' to his best friend's son just half an hour before he died, so it must've been sudden. I just hope it wasn't painful. Have to wait on the coroner's report to find out what actually caused his death.

I'm still kinda bummed out about it. I was only watching Bottom with my niece about a week ago and she was laughing her head off when Richie accidentally cut off his finger while preparing dinner.
    I'm always annoying my family by going 'Aha haHA AHA!' when solving a tricky problem. Never realised just how much stuff from his and Ade's shows I quote in my daily life.

I always loved it when in the live shows one of them would flub a line and then they'd go off on a tangent that was every bit as funny as the scripted stuff. You can really tell they're having great fun on stage trying to one-up each other for the audience (beware: some swearing in video):

Rik Mayall & Adrian Edmondson break character - YouTube

'Have a wank, Professor.'

16. Mister Chef

Mister Chef Mister Chef

This is awful news.

RIP :/

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Chocks away and Godspeed, Sqdrn Cmdr Lord Flasheart