Right, so I just saw Avengers...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Grandum, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

*applause*

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    No, instead we have a Norse Thunder God, a man in a Robot suit, a super soldier from World War 2, a giant Rage Monster, two awesome normal people,
    The Leviathans
    and Samuel L. Fucking Jackson.

And not once was I ever unsure about who was doing what. That's what a bit of colour nets you. And the dialogue wasn't cringe inducing crap.

Also, anyone reckon the SHIELD Heli-Carrier would make an EPIC TF?

3. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    1. We already saw it in a few TV spots
    2. We're still waiting for the aircraft carrier TF that was discussed pre-RotF

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Just being courteous to others who haven't seen it yet. I'd be on board for an Aircraft Carrier TF, that would be fucking awesome. Huge, and awesome.

5. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Sean Hannity much?

Sheesh.

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    That seems more like a personal attention problem. There's no difficulty in telling apart the multicolored robot cast of the movies. You may not be able to follow every single motion in an action scene featuring other characters, but the same can be said for any movie.

7. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not to tout my own horn, but I probably could. I wrote a script so good in my Year 10 Media class at school, that my teacher is shopping it around to the higher year levels and seeing if it can be made into a film, and on top of that, it has become a fixture of the staff room and pretty much every teacher is reading it. And the script I wrote was 17 pages long and was done in about 2-3 days. Imagine what I could do if it was longer and if I worked on it longer.

So, yeah. If given the opportunity, I could probably write a better script then the Transformers writers.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Go to the TFW Funnies section and read Out of the Dead Land or Warring at Play.

+ rep for truth.

9. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Shit, I forgot to plug Out of the Dead Land. Don't know how I forgot about that masterpiece.

10. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Think for a moment will you. You can have your opinion but I'm telling you to think about how hard something like script-writing is. I'm sure that many fans would create a script filled with needless fan-service for the pleasure of TF fans and TF fans alone. It needs to be somewhat grounded and believable in this series. But that's beside the point.

People judge other people as if that person's job is easy and if they did it they could do it better but I'm sure that in actuality they wouldn't. It has nothing to do with if someone is a professional or not.

11. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

Again, just because it's not my job, doesn't mean I have to accept what they do as the best thing ever. Hey, I'm not a profissional driver, and I know I drive a lot better than the cabbie that carried me the other day.

Excusing the writers job because I suposedly can't do better is a non-argument.

I'm not asking for fanwankery everywhere, but I'm a marvel fan and felt hugely satisfied with the avengers, I felt it was faithfull to the concept of what these characters should be, and with it was very grounded and believable.
    I really don't think that characters like sideswipe and dino who served no purpose whatsoever besides having a few oneliners are doing anyone (fan or otherwise) a favor...

12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    While Shizuka may not have expressed it entirely as intended, people do have to bear in mind that even if the writers crafted a perfect script, the director and the studio are always going to start shuffling through it, adding things that they think the hip young kids nowadays like and changing things they think they won't.

"Let's have him get off the neon laser dragon after saving the world from the 15,000-headed chainsaw-hydra, and step in poop! Poop! HAHAHA! POOP!"

It's not so much "Let's see you do better" as it is "You usually can't do better when placed under the same conditions."

13. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

Yes, movie making is a process, it does not depend solely on the writers if a movie is good. As I mentioned somewhere, Alien ressurection is very bad not because of the script, but because of executive producer input and a lack of understanding the script by the director. It depends on producers, director, writer, sometimes the actors themselves giving input on how their character should act, many many things. I do not blame the writers for ROTF or the writers strike. That's just a poor excuse.

But what shizuka is saying is that I should excuse the writers because I can't do better. So why do I go to the movies? If I have to accept everything a movie throws at me, on the principle that I can't do better, than that means the power to apreciate and criticize a movie is taken from me. He tells me to think, but them basically says I can't think, because that's not my job. Writers, before anything else, are people just like you or me or anybody else here. They get payed to do a job, but that doesn't mean they are better and untouchable. Like every other job. Otherwise, we wouldn't have bad doctors, bad lawyers, etc... I don't need to be a health professional to know that I've been treated like shit by some doctor who doesn't give a damn...

I am not implying anybody here can do a better job at script writing, just that people have the right to apreciate something, even if they don't know how to do it.

I'll put another way: I'm a sculptor, and sometimes ppl criticize my works. But I would never say "let's see you do better". That would be robing ppl of their right to apreciate it.

14. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

Funny you should mention Avengers and Transformers. Rolling Stone's Peter Travers compared the two in his recent Avengers review:

The Avengers | Movie Reviews | Rolling Stone

15. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Yes... we are legion! LOL...

I saw it at a pre-screening.

Actually, he's accurate... Avengers is what a Transformers movie SHOULD be. By all accounts, it shouldn't work at all. Ensemble film, big name actors, hollywood summer blockbuster, Major effects piece, and based on kids books about guys in spandex... But it works PERFECTLY. The biggest asset... Joss Whedon cares about character. Every scene shows painstaking attention to detail and character development. They aren't toys to bang around in a sandbox and break. You can see the gears in Tony Stark's mind working. You see and hear a depressed Captain America, who thinks the country he loved is gone. Even Hulk, who is arguably the toughest movie hero to create, SHINES with subtle, yet honest, emotion and character... The event that brings all the heroes together into a real team feels honest. Avengers also has an even bigger obstacle than TF ever had... it is an origin film that is also a sequel to several franchises... but it handles superb.

Now take TF3 for instance (Arguably the best of the three films)... Ignoring the poorly written humor... We have characters we've seen in 2 previous movies... but none of them I feel an emotional connection with. The world is falling apart, and Prime does nothing. Ironhide, his longtime bodyguard, dies at the hands of his elder statesman, and Prime does nothing. The "bond" between Bumblebee and Sam feels as fake as the bond between Carly and Sam. There is no chemistry. Now, I will give Bay credit for ONE scene, and it's the greatest moment in all the TF movies: Megatron's discouraging rebuke by Carly. Those 15 seconds of character development... Megatron realizing how much of a toll his schemes have cost him, his world, and his dignity... and to have it all pointed out to him by a collagen-injected masturbatory pinup... was a moment I cling to. Prime and his rampages, his soulless stoicism, mean nothing in the films. He's worse than Arnold Schwarzenegger.

16. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This sums it all up.

I hope TF4 matches Avengers but I can't see it happening. The action will probably go toe to toe with The Avengers but the rest of the movie will not.

Michael Bay is a great action director, but he's not a good storyteller or character developer. Anyone who believes a TF movie doesn't need either is part of the problem.

17. Adiansyah

Adiansyah Well-Known Member

What makes Avengers interesting is the equal portion for every character, both in character development and action.
    It should be easier for transformers, just give them more equal portion in action, expose their special skill, for example If Mirage is an expert in martial art, he should have his own scene, taking down some decepticons of equal size, or jump around and slice the big one, not as background, but his OWN scene. We don't need much personal story for TF, they're robot, you wouldn't want to know sideswipe's ex girlfriend back in Cybertron, rite?! Thats why I said it should be easier for tf. They're mechanical organism, they shouldn't mourn for the dead. We only need a battle scene like Avengers.

18. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Avengers is what TF fans had expected Transformers to be. You can see why they feel a little let down.

And then they've got people telling them that you can't expect decent dialogue, character development and a storyline that makes sense from an action movie. The best you can apparently hope for is T&A, toilet humour and explosions.

19. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Who says this?

20. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Michael Bay - and apparently, Hasbro as well.

Joking aside (not entirely) certain members of the various TF boards didn't seem to understand why people were complaining about the Transformers films. Now that Avengers is out, more and more people are starting to realise what they could have been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.